how much railway noise around ivanhoe/coplestone roads?

agardner

Hi there, i'm looking to move to ivanhoe/copleston road area near the railway and i was just wondering for anyone who lives there how much you can hear the trains - im sure you get used to it after living there for a while but i was wondering if anyone can give a sense of how loud/intrusive as just viewing properties you can't really tell. many thanks!

We back onto the railway line (copleston) where it is in a cutting, and relatively straight so no flange squeal. The gardens on our side of Copleston are relatively long, with trees at the bottom, whereas Ivanhoe ones are slightly shorter. There is some noise I guess, but it has never bothered us for the year we've lived here. So much so in fact that on a recent train journey we had a conversation about how annoying it would be to live right next to a railway, then remembered that we actually DO and it isn't. I find the plane noise more intrusive than the railway and you'll get that most places round here.

If you are down the bottom end of Copleston where the railway is on an embankment then it would deffo be noisier.

Generally it's not noisy, as the trains are not going all that fast along that stretch. What can be rather noisy are the maintenance/engineering trains that you sometimes get along there... including late at night. It's not a daily occurrence though.

Ivanhoe Rd is a great location.. easily walkable to any of Lordship Lane, Bellenden Rd, Rye Lane, and Camberwell.

Thanks all, really appreciate the comments! i viewed the house as a train was going past, you could hear it from the back of the house despite the double glazing but hopefully it wouldn't be enough to bother you. i agree the location is great!