Forum Sponsors

www.inshutters.co.uk

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

http://www.elwyns.com/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
messageRe: Support our own East Dulwich tree sellers
Posted by DulwichFox November 30, 06:17PM

A Tree is for Life. Not just for Christmas..

Posted by Coggers November 30, 06:42PM

Our flat overlooks the greens and the generator used to power the lights can be heard clearly from inside our flat (from 3pm to 10pm yesterday)!! Surely we cannot be subject to this everyday for the next month? Were any residents consulted? I also totally agree with others re huge area of public space taken up and it being an absolute eyesore. I cannot see any benefit for the green to be used for this purpose, especially when so many local businesses provide trees already.

Posted by christine56 December 01, 11:12AM

Londonís going green and Southwark Council are
Allowing amigos trees use diesel generators
Night and day small area where our children
Play.also did they have to have the lights on
All night

Posted by bels123 December 01, 11:22AM

Are they definitely diesel generators? If so Iím even more appalled at Southwark Council for allowing this, the same council that recently declared a climate emergency and paid for ivy green screening to help keep diesel fumes away from the children playing in the playground side of the park.

Posted by Paradise2 December 01, 11:36AM

Southwark council parking wardens can give you a ticket for having your engine running for 5 mins while parked, so how can they allow these generators all day

Posted by Blah Blah December 01, 12:18PM

How about people stop buying real trees that are dumped as soon as xmas is over? Just more needless waste.

Posted by Penguin68 December 01, 05:56PM

I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the tree street traders have to buy a licence to trade; I assume that those around the north end of LL (i.e. near Goose Green) did so unaware that a very large and new competitor was being let in to the area - on a prime site - and although I am sure that these are paying a higher price, I wonder whether our traditional traders still see their licences as such value for money. Caveat emptor, of course, but I see local supply of trees as being of local benefit, and clearly competitive. But sometimes a large competitor can distort the market.

Posted by mrwb December 01, 06:18PM

Blah Blah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about people stop buying real trees that are
> dumped as soon as xmas is over? Just more needless
> waste.

Agree or get a real one with the roots and replant it somewhere after Christmas? If that's possible.

Posted by dbboy December 01, 06:53PM

You'll probably find that the vast majority of tree's are sourced from New Covent Garden Market unless the seller buys direct from a grower.

Posted by Melihoople December 01, 07:35PM

It's taking up a very large area on GG but along with the other points. I hope they are going Tu pay for the returfing as the ground will have been turned to mud as per what has happened when a similar enterprise set up in Brockwell park... So this lengthens the time is public land out of action

Posted by Jules-and-Boo December 01, 07:58PM

The park is pretty muddy already in places.

While I don't particularly care for them in terms of the occupation of public space for a business venture, it's a double standard when we buy our bread and veg in M&S, walking past our local grocers.

Posted by goldilocks December 01, 08:31PM

I think if your objection is to a 'non local tree seller' then it is - but the comments on this thread seem more focussed on the inappropriateness of using communal green space which should be available to the whole community for a commercial venture, and linked to this whether the site is powered by a constantly running diesel generator.

Posted by MattyK December 01, 08:53PM

Thankfully their generator stopped early today (Sunday) and the constant drone or thrum (depending on your ears) has discontinued.

A friend (used to be an East Dulwich resident) contacted me out of the blue after driving past "It looks like an alien spaceship has landed on Goose Green!)

After the discussion on this forum what is the best course of action to express our concerns?

1. Use of community facility for commercial enterprise.
- commercial damage to local traders
- no consultation
- exclusion of ordinary users from Green
- state of Goose Green afterwards

2. Nuisance to residents
- light pollution
- noise pollution
- parking issues

Posted by goldilocks December 01, 09:08PM

Charlie Smith - one of the Goose Green Councillors has responded on the local councillor thread that he'll look in to this - contacting local councilors to express concern would be a good step though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was december 01, 09:08pm by goldilocks.

Posted by christine56 December 01, 09:23PM

Iíve emailed the councilors advertised on this forum about
This issue but no one has emailed back
I just want to know who gave these people permission
To set up in our community park

Posted by sue k December 01, 09:29PM

hopefully the good people of ED will not support them, and if really want to get a tree, buy from the ones raising money for the local charities, and they will just realise it's not financially viable and so not bother to return next year. ..

Better though If everyone donated the money spent on xmas trees that then get chucked outside after Christmas, to go to plant a tree that will live for years instead..that would be a good thing. [www.woodlandtrust.org.uk]
I use twigs painted and decorate with lots of lovely things and a few sparkly lights...still looks festive!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was december 02, 08:59am by sue k.

Posted by MattyK December 02, 10:34AM

Goose Green Labour councillors: James McAsh, Victoria Olisa and Charlie Smith

James.McAsh@southwark.gov.uk, Victoria.Olisa@southwark.gov.uk, Charlie.Smith@southwark.gov.uk

Posted by Jules-and-Boo December 02, 10:54AM

Do people know why we have trees and wreaths at Christmas? Or do they just buy them?

I would suggest largely the latter.

Posted by ken78 December 02, 11:50AM

well next year the local sellers should get together and make a bid to rent this site and sell their own goods
you just can't sit down in business you have to move with the times or things like this will happen

Posted by dbboy December 02, 12:17PM

"Advent and Christmas wreaths are constructed of evergreens to represent everlasting life brought through Jesus and the circular shape of the wreath represents God, with no beginning and no end. ... While Advent wreaths are erected on stands or placed on tables, Christmas wreaths are often hung on doors or walls" source: google

Christmas tree's - [www.victoriana.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was december 02, 12:18pm by dbboy.

Posted by mrwb December 02, 12:50PM

Do any local seller do a tree like this:?

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Potted so can be planted after Christmas and then re-used?

Only 2ft, to start with, but presumably will get bigger every year.

Posted by Sue December 02, 01:21PM

mrwb Wrote:
> Do any local seller do a tree like this:?
>
> [www.amazon.co.uk]
> rown-Christmas-Tree/dp/B07ZZH7DWK/ref=asc_df_B07ZZ
> H7DWK/?tag=&linkCode=df0&hvadid=399666076754&hvpos
> =1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=414691623115009244&hvpone=&hv
> ptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=
> 9045890&hvtargid=pla-842704733999&ref=&adgrpid=848
> 09710723&th=1
>
> Potted so can be planted after Christmas and then
> re-used?
>
> Only 2ft, to start with, but presumably will get
> bigger every year.

Probably you can get one in a garden centre.

I have one which has been growing in a pot for about four years.

I can't remember where I got it. It may have been Homebase. You could phone around and ask. Shannon's in Forest Hill may sell them, or if not may know where you can get one.

I think the people up on the South Circular at the entrance to the Cricket Club may do them, too (next to Cox's Walk).

ETA: But mine was bigger than the one on Amazon to start with. They come in various sizes even though pot grown.

Make sure it is really pot grown and not just dug up from the ground and stuck in a pot for Christmas though! If it has, its roots will probably be damaged.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was december 02, 01:23pm by Sue.

Posted by nxjen December 02, 01:40PM

The plant stall in the market in North Cross Road had some last Saturday.

Posted by Sue December 02, 02:17PM

Lidl have an ad in Saturday's Guardian advertising potted non drop trees for £18.99.

Potted is not necessarily pot grown though, and I imagine they are quite small for that price.

Posted by cactus December 02, 03:18PM

'Gardenman' on this forum is selling pot grown trees.

Posted by Sue December 02, 11:26PM

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:
> Do people know why we have trees and wreaths at
> Christmas? Or do they just buy them?
>
> I would suggest largely the latter.

I imagine most people do it because it's a tradition handed down over the years.

I bring greenery (and lights) into the house to celebrate the solstice on 21 December, when the days start getting longer.

Except this year I've got to do it earlier than the solstice because I've got a zillion family members coming and they will expect a tree etc big grin

My tree lives on my allotment most of the year (in a pot).

OK, as you were big grin

Posted by Blah Blah December 03, 06:33AM

As far as is known, wreaths date back to pagan rituals to mark the change of seasons. Given that Christmas is essentially a rehash of the pagan winter solstice festival, I would think a lot of these things have their roots in that. The yule log was definitely part of a pagan ritual. Any religious symbolism involving Christ is a relatively recent invention.

Posted by shell December 04, 01:10PM

At the risk of being very unpopular I'm afraid I did buy my tree from tree amigos. I can only carry the tree home from there or from the EDT and I visited both. I really wanted to buy from EDT but it was just a much nicer experience with the new guys. Super friendly and knowledgable with more tree options and it felt more relaxed and christmassy wandering around the green than trying to negotiate the roundabout. They also have really clear pricing whereas the EDT seem to just make up the prices depending who they're speaking to ( myself and my husband were given different prices for the same tree )

Sorry that others disapprove but I also live on the green and just wanted to give a balance - we don't all hate them!

Posted by ken78 December 04, 01:57PM

shell Wrote:
> At the risk of being very unpopular I'm afraid I
> did buy my tree from tree amigos. I can only carry
> the tree home from there or from the EDT and I
> visited both. I really wanted to buy from EDT but
> it was just a much nicer experience with the new
> guys. Super friendly and knowledgable with more
> tree options and it felt more relaxed and
> christmassy wandering around the green than trying
> to negotiate the roundabout. They also have really
> clear pricing whereas the EDT seem to just make up
> the prices depending who they're speaking to (
> myself and my husband were given different prices
> for the same tree )
>
> Sorry that others disapprove but I also live on
> the green and just wanted to give a balance - we
> don't all hate them!

well said shell

Posted by bels123 December 04, 01:58PM

The council needs to explain how they can declare a Climate Emergency then sanction this operation which is burning diesel to power itís lights in the middle of beautiful sunny day. Totally unnecessary.

I hope our local councillors can help resolve this quickly.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum