Come from Devon.

Please support your local Xmas tree sellers who pay lot of

Money for a street license in Southwark some of these sellers

Have been selling every year some for over 20years

Please Dont put our local people out of business,support our

Locals not people coming to force us out

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

I

I haven?t seen the Christmas trees for sale on Goose Green but I always find the sight of Christmas trees waiting to be sold rather jolly. Southwark will be receiving much needed revenue from the sellers. Selling trees in public parks is nothing new, I?ve seen them being sold in Brockwell and Battersea Parks, and there are probably many more parks where they are sold.

Yeah there's a whole area (most of the Western side of GG) cordoned off for the tree operation.

Where will the poor souls buying trees park, if they're coming by car ?!

I did wonder as I passed the cordoned area, whether it was being set up for cars to come actually onto the green - which I hope is not the case.

Remember there are regular shops (i.e. florists) who are with us 52 weeks a year and who stock trees - the guy in the Parade opposite (sort of) the old Harvester (next to the former Barcelona) is a great florist and sources good trees. And wreaths and other Christmas greenery.

Edited to add:- ...and of course our local garden centres, again serving us 52 weeks a year.

I don't have a problem with a 'pop-up', most of them are, excluding Penguin's good point above, but I do have a problem with a beautiful community park being taken over for commercial use in the run up to Christmas...it's just far too big...a corner of Dulwich Park would be more appropriate....horrible for the residents looking out onto and the dog walkers...and within metres of the Church..

I am assuming it is there until Christmas but maybe I've got that wrong...maybe it's just for the Christmas Cracker...ironic when I thought that was to boost local businesses?

Anyone have an email address of who to contact at the council.....

Having now seen Treeamigos on Goose Green, I agree it is a dreadful eyesore and totally out of keeping made worse by the 'hoarding' surrounding it and far too large for the space. Can our councillor James McAsh do anything to prevent a repetition next year?

when I first saw this I thought it might be an overreaction to a 'few Christmas trees being sold in the corner of the green'. I walked past today and now totally understand the issue. Almost half the green is fenced off with opaque barriers and huge advertising for Amigos trees. Its not a nice festive scene, its a huge commercial operation being run out of what is supposed to be public open space.

If posting photos on here wasn't such a pain I would do - but definitely worth a look in considering whether this is appropriate.

Cora Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't have a problem with a 'pop-up', most of

> them are, excluding Penguin's good point above,

> but I do have a problem with a beautiful community

> park being taken over for commercial use in the

> run up to Christmas...it's just far too big...a

> corner of Dulwich Park would be more

> appropriate....horrible for the residents looking

> out onto and the dog walkers...and within metres

> of the Church..

>

> I am assuming it is there until Christmas but

> maybe I've got that wrong...maybe it's just for

> the Christmas Cracker...ironic when I thought that

> was to boost local businesses?

>

> Anyone have an email address of who to contact at

> the council.....

I rather think it might be [email protected]

To contribute to the above discussion points without too much repetition...

The Christmas tree selling enclosure on Goose Green is an eyesore, day and night.

It is a commercial operation on a green that most consider for community use and enjoyment.

Most people feel excluded from having their considerations being taken account off.

It is an external operation that takes business away from traditional local sellers.

It's business hours are supposedly eight to eight but presumably preparation and closure extend these hours.

Attached image shows light pollution at 20:39 on Friday evening