Forum Sponsors

https://urbanistarchitecture.co.uk/free-architect-consultation/

http://www.ellyallen.com/

https://www.gokayfitness.com/class

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
messageSainsbury’s dog kennel hill
Posted by twinhunters November 26, 07:47AM

Is it just me or has this store gone downhill .new management maybe

messageRe: Sainsbury’s dog kennel hill
Posted by ruffers November 26, 09:09AM

It feels a bit dark to me.

if it has goen downhill it's not the only one. Savacentre Sydenham is a shambles these days, just feels like no one gives a toss.

Posted by rahrahrah November 26, 09:16AM

I'm surprised these stores are still viable, what with online delivery services. I haven't been to a supermarket for years - can't be the only one.

Posted by dbboy November 26, 09:26AM

don't know about new management, but looks like they rotate "management trainees" into stores so they get a first hand grounding in store management life and dealing with us the general public customers.

Posted by EDmummy November 26, 10:06AM

I haven't been to Sainsburys at DKH for several years as I order online. Went recently and found the lighting terrible and ended up with a headache after 15 minutes in there. Won't be repeating that trip again any time soon.

ruffers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It feels a bit dark to me.
>
> if it has goen downhill it's not the only one.
> Savacentre Sydenham is a shambles these days, just
> feels like no one gives a toss.

Posted by spider69 November 26, 10:23AM

What I have found which I find very annoying is the deliveries are coming later and later so you go at what you consider to be a sensible time and the shelfs are empty.

As I have to use public transport this is not helpful.

Posted by JohnL November 26, 10:24AM

The 2 hour limit did it for me - I order online mainly now.

Used to like taking my time shopping and then 30 minutes for a coffee in Starbucks (came to 2.5 hours)

Posted by Townleygreen November 26, 10:29AM

I think with this one and the Lower Sydenham store, it seems to be a struggle to make a profit these days. The Sydenham one is apparently the largest in the UK (of Sainsbury).
Changing shopping habits, people shopping online (obvs) plus shopping little and often which favours the smaller local stores.

Posted by dbboy November 26, 10:42AM

Yes, however the smaller local stores are more expensive than the bigger stores

Posted by edcam November 26, 11:56AM

Yep, they're definitely rubbish at keeping fully stocked. They've always run out of half of what we need.

Posted by TheArtfulDogger November 26, 12:04PM

EDmummy Wrote:
> I haven't been to Sainsburys at DKH for several
> years as I order online. Went recently and found
> the lighting terrible and ended up with a headache
> after 15 minutes in there. Won't be repeating that
> trip again any time soon.
>
> ruffers Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It feels a bit dark to me.
> >

The darker lighting is great for picking up the ladies as they can't see my face, hump or the fact I walk in a funny way

Don't knock the only advantage I have 😂😂

--------------------
Artful

Posted by JohnL November 26, 12:20PM

dbboy Wrote:
> Yes, however the smaller local stores are more
> expensive than the bigger stores

The bargains aren't there even though they claim they are the same price.

Use by/Best before dates have got worse in the past few years everywhere - what was once 2 weeks can now be 3 days unless you go through what they've got (and then the older ones just get left for the sucker who doesn't check) and again all this takes time and you have 2 hours.

of course - online you get what they bring. I've tried specifying less ripe fruit please and bread/cold meat/milk with 5+ days - but they aren't really going to listen I guess and then I end up chucking it sad smiley.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was november 26, 12:22pm by JohnL.

Posted by DulwichFox November 26, 12:25PM

You all need to try the Co-op and their prices

Just one thing I noticed yesterday Bassetts Jelly Babies Ł1.60

Same thing available in a few small shops on Lordship Lane for Ł1.00

I thought The Co-op was the 'Peoples' supermarket where did the 'Divi' go ?

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5176.0;attach=6022;image

Foxy.

Posted by Sue November 26, 12:51PM

The divi still exists. It just isn't called that any more.

If you sign up you get instant reductions at the checkout.

It's brilliant. Sometimes I have got most of my shopping free.

Posted by singalto November 26, 01:02PM

I was encouraged to use the self scanning thingy and found that the first two items came up as much more expensive than it said on the shelf!

Posted by Jules-and-Boo November 26, 01:25PM

it's not fair to pick on the co-op over jelly babies

there is a whole website dedicated to comparing prices for products across all supermarkets as it's known they ALL charge different prices at different times.

Sainsbury DKH is exceptionally overpriced though

Posted by twinhunters November 26, 02:45PM

Glad it’s not just me , I’m a carer and half the things I need to get are rarely there even though Sainsbury’s own .agree about lighting. I enquired about getting a loaf of bread without that days date on and was told we don’t reduce until tonight, I just wanted a loaf with at least a couple of days on and they didn’t have one 😩

Posted by Siduhe November 26, 02:58PM

I don't think it's unique to DKH or Sydenham, but there seems to be generally less stock available in Sainsburys, and they've started restocking aisles at peak times, which they never used to do and is really frustrating as it makes it a lot harder to navigate around the store.

I assumed it was because they were also picking online orders from the shelves rather than in back or because they run with a skeleton staff at nights when they would otherwise have to pay more for out of hours working.

Posted by Treehugger2 November 26, 03:39PM

I definitely think it's gone down hill. Lots of things not in stock when I go and not enough sales assistants to help. I think it's a shame. However, it's generally the more esoteric things I need and I find that I can source most of them from SMBS or Organic Village, or elsewhere on LL.

Posted by Azalea November 26, 04:03PM

I prefer the New Cross Sainsbury, but it closes at 10 pm.

Posted by snoopy17 November 26, 05:19PM

Their vegetables do not look fresh anymore, they never have king edwards potatoes or pizzas even at 11am.

The staff look so miserable and bored.

I find lately I go in happy but come out feeling miserable. This shop really drains my energy its so boring.

They need to play music in this store cause its so depressing, especially when there is no one In it. The shop is in silence.

Posted by Spartacus November 26, 05:45PM

Maybe, just maybe this is an indication that we should all start supporting our amazing diverse non chain local shops especially for groceries, fish and meat

Just food for thought (if you excuse the pun)

Posted by Sue November 26, 07:52PM

snoopy17 Wrote:
>
>
> The staff look so miserable and bored.
>

I rarely go in there, but yes, when I do the people on the tills seem like they can hardly bring themselves to serve you.

On one occasion I actually said to the person on the checkout "You look like you really enjoy your job" and she looked at me and said "No I don't" big grin

Whereas the people in M&S are almost always really cheerful and helpful.

Posted by louloulabelle November 27, 06:32AM

I have found overpricing a real issue since I started using self scan, several items in each shop ive done recently have come up more expensive on screen than on the shelf, I have raised this several times now at the stores in question and been assured it would be checked and amended but only to find the same error on same products the following shop!

Posted by DulwichFox November 27, 10:50AM

Sainsbury's recently got rid of their FREE flimsy plastic bags for Fruit and Veg. Thats's Good.

They now SELL small stronger (reuseable) ??? Bags for fruit and veg for 30p each.
You may need 4-5 of these if are buying Fruit and veg and want to keep them separate.
There is a real risk of contamination if you reuse them. (Dirty Loose Potatoes, Greens, Coriander) ??
They are made from Recycled Plastic Bottles but not sure if they themselves can be recycled.

On the other hand a PLUS for the Co-op.. They are doing Large Recyclable Green bags for 5p
They are suitable for food waste and marked as such and cheaper and stronger than the rolls
of food waste bags available elsewhere. Ł3.95 for 25 15.8p each

Sainsbury's actually doing Nothing for the environment.

DulwichFox

Posted by Penguin68 November 27, 11:09AM

There is a real risk of contamination if you reuse them.

They can easily be turned inside out, shaken and rinsed through to remove any dirt etc.

Posted by Spartacus November 27, 11:14AM

If only someone would invent a bag that's not made from plastic and you could put fruit and veg into them and they are made from natural products.

Maybe, and this is a bit out there, something like brown paper bags !

Posted by nxjen November 27, 11:16AM

What I don’t understand is why plain paper bags for fruit and veg like we had until the 1970squestion mark can’t be reintroduced. These can be easily recycled or am I missing something?

Posted by Penguin68 November 27, 11:19AM

I think Sainsbury's are (1) reducing stocking levels and (2) ordering less fresh produce so that it's mainly all sold. So going to the store late/ after work means that fresh items (and others) are often not in stock. This is clearly economically sensible, if annoying, to late shoppers. Reducing waste of fresh produce is probably a good thing. Turning inventory over quickly (so less on shelves/ in stock rooms at then end of the trading day) makes good economic sense.

They clearly haven't yet got the balance right.

I haven't found the check-out etc. staff quite so glum as others, but obviously their numbers are falling as Sainsbury's tries to get us to do their jobs, unpaid.

Posted by Penguin68 November 27, 11:23AM

What I don’t understand is why plain paper bags for fruit and veg like we had until the 1970s question mark can’t be reintroduced. These can be easily recycled or am I missing something?

Brown paper bags have the problem of opacity - what's in them and what's been scanned as in them may not align. And check-out people don't want to have to open up each bag to check either. Brown paper bags were what sellers (and some still do) put items in, they know what they are.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum