Roofing Scam on Archdale Road

BingX

This morning two guys knocked at our door and offered to check our roof. They told us that there were some things need to be fixed. I was so silly that I gave them ?340 as they said they need some cash to buy materials. Then they disappeared. Beware if you see them.

why would you let anyone who randomly knocks,check your roof and why would you hand over money when you didn't even get any contact details. if they were real roofers ect.. they would have given you time to think about it. im surprised they didn't drive you to the bank aswell.

also another scam to watch out for is if there are building works taken place in your street, sometimes a chancer will pretend to be working with the builders in the street.

snoopy17 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> why would you let anyone who randomly knocks,check

> your roof and why would you hand over money when

> you didn't even get any contact details. if they

> were real roofers ect.. they would have given you

> time to think about it. im surprised they didn't

> drive you to the bank aswell.

>

also another scam to watch out for is if there are building works taken place in your street,

sometimes a chancer will pretend to be working with the builders in the street.

Thats what the guys that came to me said.

DulwichFox

Its normally the old yarn of we are working over/across the road on Fred's? roof and noticed you have a couple of slipped tiles/slates and can sort them out for you when we've finished at Fred's, Make it sound like there doing you a favour?? SCUM BAGS Don't entertain them.

With the availability of camera drones it is now possible to inspect your own roof (or get someone qualified to operate a drone to do it for you) - and ideally quality roofers should be able to show you what your problem is - if you can access a drone it is worthwhile examining the 'valleys' between roof elements (often in lead) where you may get problems (other than the obvious moved or cracked tiles).

I had a similar experience a few months ago when on the pretence of looking at my gutters two guys removed a tile from my side roof - impossible to see from below - and then told me they could fix the hole they had 'discovered' for ?1500!

I didn't take them up on their kind offer and later found a reputable builder/roofer to look at the damage. He discovered that they had removed a tile, but on inspecting this part of my roof said that there were in fact a lot of problems, which then took four men several days to put right. So in the end the scammers did me a favour!