Forum Sponsors

www.no-flies.co.uk

http://www.ellyallen.com/

https://urbanistarchitecture.co.uk/free-architect-consultation/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
messageRoofing Scam on Archdale Road
Posted by BingX November 28, 02:25PM

This morning two guys knocked at our door and offered to check our roof. They told us that there were some things need to be fixed. I was so silly that I gave them £340 as they said they need some cash to buy materials. Then they disappeared. Beware if you see them.

messageRe: Roofing Scam on Archdale Road
Posted by Jules-and-Boo November 28, 02:34PM

oh dear. I hope you're ok?

Don't feel too bad - these guys are well practised in tricking people and know exactly what to say to make you believe them.

Have you reported this to the police? I hope you do - there are other reports of this in the area

Posted by bels123 November 28, 02:39PM

Yes please report, the more details the better

Posted by BingX November 28, 02:49PM

Thanks. I am feeling better now. Just reported this to the police and they suggested me to report it to action fraud too.

Posted by seenbeen November 28, 02:58PM

The BBC needs to repeat their Rogue Traders series....

Posted by DulwichFox November 28, 03:07PM

Two guys came to me back in Oct They said my repair would be £300.00
which I did not Pay. They went up on my roof and broke a tile and ripped out a few more.

My own roofer fixed the problem

[www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk]

DulwichFox

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was november 28, 03:10pm by DulwichFox.

Posted by BingX November 28, 04:55PM

I think they also broke something on our roof as it is starting to leak now. Could anyone recommend a reliable roofer please?

Posted by Sue November 28, 08:50PM

Russell Perrin 07852 972052

Posted by dimples November 29, 06:22AM

Reports of them on Belvoir road a couple of months ago trying to get money from 3 sets of pensioners on our road . The police are aware

Posted by snoopy17 December 02, 11:11PM

why would you let anyone who randomly knocks,check your roof and why would you hand over money when you didn't even get any contact details. if they were real roofers ect.. they would have given you time to think about it. im surprised they didn't drive you to the bank aswell.

also another scam to watch out for is if there are building works taken place in your street, sometimes a chancer will pretend to be working with the builders in the street.

Posted by DulwichFox December 03, 11:21AM

snoopy17 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> why would you let anyone who randomly knocks,check
> your roof and why would you hand over money when
> you didn't even get any contact details. if they
> were real roofers ect.. they would have given you
> time to think about it. im surprised they didn't
> drive you to the bank aswell.
>
also another scam to watch out for is if there are building works taken place in your street,
sometimes a chancer will pretend to be working with the builders in the street.

Thats what the guys that came to me said.

DulwichFox

Posted by SpringTime December 04, 11:42AM

I don't think we even have £340 cash in the house - pretty much ever.

Posted by bigmacca1 December 04, 11:43AM

Its normally the old yarn of we are working over/across the road on Fred's? roof and noticed you have a couple of slipped tiles/slates and can sort them out for you when we've finished at Fred's, Make it sound like there doing you a favour?? SCUM BAGS Don't entertain them.

Posted by Penguin68 December 04, 12:53PM

With the availability of camera drones it is now possible to inspect your own roof (or get someone qualified to operate a drone to do it for you) - and ideally quality roofers should be able to show you what your problem is - if you can access a drone it is worthwhile examining the 'valleys' between roof elements (often in lead) where you may get problems (other than the obvious moved or cracked tiles).

Posted by Glemham December 04, 06:10PM

I had a similar experience a few months ago when on the pretence of looking at my gutters two guys removed a tile from my side roof - impossible to see from below - and then told me they could fix the hole they had 'discovered' for £1500!
I didn't take them up on their kind offer and later found a reputable builder/roofer to look at the damage. He discovered that they had removed a tile, but on inspecting this part of my roof said that there were in fact a lot of problems, which then took four men several days to put right. So in the end the scammers did me a favour!

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum