Local MPs active in the local Southwark area

hammerman

With just a week to go until the General Election 2019 it seems that Southwark MPs seem to have resorted to advertising their views in the local press i.e. Southwark News out today and probably on social media (of which I'm not on).

I've only had somebody from the Labour Party knock on my door last week and disappointed that the other parties have not even bothered to do the same.

Both of the local constituencies - Dulwich and West Norwood, Camberwell and Peckham - are safe Labour seats, so from the perspective of all of the parties, there's not much point in spending time and resources campaigning here.

That's one of the big flaws in our First Past the Post electoral system.

We are fortunate to have a good MP in Harriet Harman which is why she is consistently returned, with high numbers. I find that voters dont like to be insulted and see through the many parties that take the opinon that their only interested in their potential constituency at election time. I agree with the opinion that as voters,it is our responsibility to seek out information. It is also worth pointing out that there has been hustings locally too.

Dulwich & West Norwood - The United To Remain candidate is from the Green party. Lib dems have stood aside to here to ensure one true Remain candidate. So Lib Dems can not print and deliver any literature in DaWN without breaking election law. Hence silence from us. Even printing and delivering letter support The Green Party candidate would count towards their election expenses.

Camber & Peckham - I've been leafletted by Labour and Lib Dems.

Bermonsey & Old Southwark - huge campaigns going on there.

But as reported recently 200 parliamentary seats have not changed hands from one party to another since WW2. It can make for parties being very complacent.

But there are other candidates. Had some literature shoved through my letterbox today about gutter cleaning etc. in amongst them was the Jane Lyons, Conservative candidate for Dulwich and West Norwood leaflet and also the Brexit Party candidate, Julia Stephenson leaflet.

I'm now very swayed as I don't want to vote for Labour or the Lib Dems?

Both want to stay in the EU but I voted to leave in the 2016 Referendum so not sure what to do?

Labour will have another Brexit poll, so it?s not a done deal of out or in if you vote Labour. Brexit will take years anyway, so ?Get Brexit done? is just brainless. Personally issues such as the NHS, social care and Windrush/Grenfell have more impact on my voting choices. The EU is a failing institution and the USA is just crazy. In or out of the EU... I vote remain, but now I don?t care, but I don?t want a Tory Government for 5 more years... there has already been too many deaths caused by this uncaring bunch.

People should have voted for the PR system on offer at the previous referendum. Then the majority of the country might have known the experience of having representatives from parties they'd voted for. I always found it bewildering that people talked of the democratic deficit with the EU when there's a far worse one right here at home. Forget the tuition fees issue, the LibDems offered the country a one-time chance to change politics forever and we didn't take it. Everything that follows from that missed opportunity is on us, not the EU.

I meant to bring this back to subject by saying we've had not a single candidate knock on our door and we work from home every day. And the reason is outlined above. Helen Hayes has a majority of 28 thousand. Why would it be worth anyone doing much campaigning here with our current political system? (hopefully satisfies Admin on relevance!)

macutd Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> hammerman Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Not sure why this would be put in the Lounge

> > section?

> yes i agree. seem like a bit of suppression of a

> popular post

It's Southwark MPs so will include Harriet Harman in Camberwell and Peckham I guess ? (technically not ED)

Although not seen it declared yet she's a certainty here.

• Administrator

hammerman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not sure why this would be put in the Lounge

> section?

If this becomes a generic election/political discussion it will be Lounged.

If it stays about Local MPs active in the local Southwark area, great.

Political threads tend to get a bit, er, political, ranty and not ED-specific.

JohnL Wrote:

> It's Southwark MPs so will include Harriet Harman in Camberwell and Peckham I guess ? (technically not ED)

>

> Although not seen it declared yet she's a

> certainty here.

Harriet Harman is the MP for part of SE22, so is one of the MPs for East Dulwich and, yes, she has been re-elected, as has Helen Hayes.