"Oru" in Lordship Lane

Saw the boards going up a few weeks ago. Is it me, or has this made the space on the pavement more constrained for people to walk through? The phone boxes and cycle rings don?t leave much space for people to get by on the pavement. The surface is very uneven and between the amount of pedestrians, buggies, dogs, scooters, and disabled folk trying to get through at busy times it is quite scary, especially for little ones. Perhaps take out the phone boxes or cycle rings till work on facade is complete temporarily?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the update and wish you luck with the new space. Unfortunately, this is an issue that the local councillors should address regarding the quality of pedestrian space on Lordship Lane. I know this has been brought up before on other threads as well, but it doesn?t seem to be getting much attention. The space left for people to walk comfortably and safely in getting more constrained. The whole corner or EDG and LL could do with a redo.

I pass through the area several times a week and it is getting worse for navigating safely for a variety of reasons:

1- there is no crossing light to across EDG.

2- the pavement is encumbered by too much street furniture (two phone boxes!!! and cycle rings)

3- the car charging station on the EDG corner makes it very hard for buses to get through when two buses arrive at the corner at the same time.

All of this makes the area very chaotic in the best of times, but at rush hours when many children and parents are trying to navigate the bus stops to change buses quickly it is very dangerous.

I don?t know who or what is responsible for this, but similar to the Dulwich Village crossing planning fiasco, I fear this is a lot of different departments not talking to local residents who have to live and navigate these junctions on a daily basis.

Maybe the road could be narrowed again. The pavement is so narrow because it is mostly, if not all, actually the outside space belonging to the shop buildings. The original pavements were removed or mostly removed when the road was widened for trams.