Parking in Dulwich park

GMav

Parking signs (pic attached)have gone up in Dulwich park ?2/Hr i am presuming this will be in action from the new year? hope they will reinvest the money made back into the park i.e. i understand the water pumps need replacing (cost of ?20k)

Perhaps they were hoping to ease them in over the Christmas period whilst people were not on the ball and away.

Thought there was supposed to be an in depth consultation and a publishing of the results for discussion. I wrote in and never heard a word back.

Again Southwark will do what ever it wants.

It's the start of the end for the private vehicle, at least petrol/diesel-powered ones. In thirty years' time complaining about this will be seen as the same as people who scoffed at those who thought it reasonable to smoke in restaurants/cinemas/buses, etc. Things change. You can always walk or take a bus there, or pay! I do hope hte money goes to improving the park and/or other greener measures.

Perhaps you might like to consider this before you comment.

i have circulation problem with my feet whereby I need to walk a lot. My dog and I use Dulwich Park once a day and sometimes twice as it is flat and pleasant and does not put to much pressure on my metatarsal bones due to fat loss. It gives us both the exercise that Doctors recommend.

Prior to Champion Hill closing it took me 10/12 minutes by car to reach the park. Now I am looking at 25minutes sometimes more to get there using local roads. Another ill thought out scheme.

Now that this charge is being brought in I, and I suspect others, will have to consider if I can afford to go for 2/3 hours a day combined with other factors.

Before the normal comments are made if I have to take public transport, which involves 2 buses and walking the journey will take a min of 40 minutes or longer each way. That time depends if the bus/s turns up on time or at all. My house is situated in the middle of a hill away from public transport. So it is already difficult to reach a starting point.

Combine that with having a dog and the prospect does not really appeal after testing it. Getting a bus with a dog presents problems as mothers with prams that look like tanks take up most of the limited space and space between the seats is also very limited.

So looking to use my local park which I have done for almost 73 years a return journey will now take me around 90 minutes without the time spent in the park.

Factor into that being tired after walking, and it rains having a wet dog on a bus which will not please some the park is really getting out of reach.

6 days a week for me will cost ?24/36 a week extra for something that I already pay towards with my Council tax, which is over ?2000+ for this year. I cannot afford to pay yet more to use my local park which will be going up again in 2020.

Some families will also have to make this decision.

Locals in the Dulwich Park area can walk with no problem but others that are not local and have have to travel with children, toddler bikes, scooters, toys and the family dog will have to consider if they can afford the park which is crazy. Getting on a bus is most of the time not an option.

It might appear to some that the park and it surrounds is turning into a middle class ghetto which might just be used by only close residents. This is wrong.

It is strange that Southwark keep pushing fitness but continue to make it difficult for many.

Again another decision whilst looking at in a meeting has just not been thought through before putting it into operation.

Southwark keep saying they need money and yet when reading comments on the Dulwich Forum Southwark can waste ?25,000.00 on a road improvement scheme at Bellenden Road and Avondale Rise which was not necessary although one resident on the forum suggesting it would look pretty when finished.

And after wasting a massive amount of money (millions?) on a crazy new road layout at dulwich village junction which made traffic far worse and seems fairly dangerous too. Shocker. I am all for people avoiding cars when they can but this does seem like a way of just fleecing money off people hoping to enjoy the park.

I recall posting to Southwark my views on this matter when they requested community views. I also remember people that used Dulwich Park having meetings with Southwark on this but have never received any feed back either from Southwark or any information on the outcome from those that were consulted by Southwark.

What happened to Southwark's feed back to the community before they slipped this through.

Does anyone have any information on this

Parks cost money to maintain and keep open. Cars pollute, not only the park but the route to the park. Exemptions from charges could be made for those with blue badges and genuine disability. Most people do not drive cars to their local park. Most parks do not have car parks either. So some perspective on this is common sense.

Thanks for posting this about the pub thing herne hilly.

Maybe Southwark Council are bringing in the ?2 parking because of the knock on effect of local CPZs etc. Dulwich Village have escaped the CPZ so far but have suffered from the knock on effect of surrounding areas over the past couple of years.

Even the Dulwich Society are not too sure about the pubinthepark thing according to their website. It would be the biggest ever event in the area and would create excessive noise, pollution, rubbish etc for local neighbours and far beyond.

Surely the clean up afterwards would be a big cost for Southwark Council afterwards?

• 1 month later...
Is this pay be phone only or can people use coins? If by phone is there a requirement to have an ap and therefore a smart phone. What if you don?t own a smart phone. Presumably pay by phone means you have to have an account with details of your car and debit/credit card details? What happens to all the lovely data the council will collect?

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is this pay be phone only or can people use coins?

> If by phone is there a requirement to have an ap

> and therefore a smart phone. What if you don?t own

> a smart phone. Presumably pay by phone means you

> have to have an account with details of your car

> and debit/credit card details? What happens to all

> the lovely data the council will collect?

It is easy enough to pay by non-smartphone - I do it sometimes in the North Dulwich area with my old phone. It takes about 10 mins to set up your account the first time (reg number and debit/credit card details) and then two or three minutes to pay each time.