Abandoned taxis

Ed Davies

Has anyone else noticed an increasing number of abandoned London Taxis. With parking getting ever more difficult there are two on Ondine Road and another two on Crystal Palace Road, I didn?t venture onto any other side streets on this mornings walk - do the owners not get ?trade in? grants as they upgrade to a greener vehicle whilst adhering to the demands of ULEZ ?

A Police Community Support Officer was very helpful with a car near me which hadn't moved for months, maybe because it was getting to look increasingly neglected. The car was still legal, but he traced the owner, and as it was local address, he visited the owner and got the car removed. So it could well be worth drawing the taxi issue to the attention of the PCSOs.

I have observed about a dozen of these unlicensed black cabs in the streets around Copleston, Oglander and Ondine. They all just sit parked up unused,with the taxi licence plate missing, except for their quarterly visit to the sprayers, when their owner pops his single London Taxi License Plate onto the vehicle to get a new ad sprayed onto it. Thankfully, the CPZ, which only allows 2 vehicles per address, should put a stop to this devious practice.

As many of these taxis (I can see at least 3 from my front door) are taxed etc. so to not be considered 'abandoned', they surely must be generating revenue for the owner. My theory is there is some payment to be made for advertising on the side of the taxis, meaning that either advertiser and/or media company are being scammed.

(or it could just be someone who REALLY likes decrepit black cabs)

Licensed taxis and private vehicles (including 'de-commissioned' black cabs) have been allowed to take advertising for many years now ('wrapping' seems to be the expression used). If the owner and advertiser are both happy with the arrangement then I don't see how the practice is 'devious' (Soylent Green) or anyone is being 'scammed' (Stradello). Without speaking to both parties then anything else is pure speculation.

Now whether vehicle advertising is desirable or not is another question. Can't bear it personally. It cheapens the public realm (just like those ads plastered all over football shirts!)

Soylent Green Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They all just sit parked up unused,with the taxi

> licence plate missing, except for their quarterly

> visit to the sprayers, when their owner pops his

> single London Taxi License Plate onto the vehicle

> to get a new ad sprayed onto it.

What evidence do you have of this licence plate subterfuge?

Rumbero Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Licensed taxis and private vehicles (including

> 'de-commissioned' black cabs) have been allowed to

> take advertising for many years now ('wrapping'

> seems to be the expression used). If the owner

> and advertiser are both happy with the arrangement

> then I don't see how the practice is 'devious'

> (Soylent Green) or anyone is being 'scammed'

> (Stradello). Without speaking to both parties then

> anything else is pure speculation.

>

> Now whether vehicle advertising is desirable or

> not is another question. Can't bear it

> personally. It cheapens the public realm (just

> like those ads plastered all over football

> shirts!)

At least Southwark don't seem to allow wrap advertising around our flats :)

• 2 weeks later...