Brick House Bread announced they aren't reopening

Azalea

It?s so sad to see such a local gem close down due to the greed of landlords.

I recently-ish moved to the area because of such fantastic independent places like brick house.

Is there anything we can do as a community to make clear our displeasure at ?crippling rent increases? which are forcing out much-loved local small business?

What a shame. Makes my blood boil that landlords are happy to see a thriving business go under due to pure greed. Especially if - as so often happens - the place ends up lying empty afterwards as they can't find anyone else to pay their inflated rents.

Hope the Brick House people pop up in ED again after they've had time to regroup.

ETA: Cross-posted with above - quite agree JCR53S!

My prediction (based on pure speculation on my part and absolutely no evidence to. back it up). Dough Artisan Bakehouse takes over both the vacated premises. That's the business owned by the winner of the latest Apprentice, a bakery/coffee shop in Herne Hill and wannabe chain with ambitious expansion plans courtesy of Alan Sugar's investment. I mean, it would be terribly convenient for a direct competitor of Lord Sugar's latest acquisition to be driven out by their landlords without warning and 2 x ready-made SE London bakery/coffee shop premises fit for purpose to become available at just the right time.... To reiterate, complete speculation by me with absolutely no evidence to back any of this up...

My friend saw Alan Sugars car driving down Lordship Lane on Tuesday he has the number plate AMS 1 ,so maybe you might be right nicmitch.

nicmitch Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My prediction (based on pure speculation on my

> part and absolutely no evidence to. back it up).

> Dough Artisan Bakehouse takes over both the

> vacated premises. That's the business owned by the

> winner of the latest Apprentice, a bakery/coffee

> shop in Herne Hill and wannabe chain with

> ambitious expansion plans courtesy of Alan Sugar's

> investment. I mean, it would be terribly

> convenient for a direct competitor of Lord Sugar's

> latest acquisition to be driven out by their

> landlords without warning and 2 x ready-made SE

> London bakery/coffee shop premises fit for purpose

> to become available at just the right time.... To

> reiterate, complete speculation by me with

> absolutely no evidence to back any of this up...

This makes me so angry. There should be something we can do locally to help protect local businesses. Are there any premises near the Bussey building where they could re-locate to in Peckham? (and is there any way to get 100grams of starter to preserve the bread line?!)

Gutted to hear this! Brick House was a jewel of East Dulwich and will be sorely missed. Hopefully it lives on in some form, although I can understand how devastating it would be for the owners to have to go through this, and why they would not want to start from scratch all over again, so sadly I don't hold out much hope.

This really is shit news. I've lived in ED for 25 years and seen lots of changes and embraced most of the 'gentrification' of Lordship Lane and the area as a whole. And yeah, Brick House's bread wasn't cheap but they made wonderful bread that was nothing like the industrial crap that passes as bread elsewhere. Others have moaned about 'peak East Dulwich', but this news feels like peak East Dulwich to me. Coincides with me looking to move in any case. No way will I stay in SE22 ? why pay a premium for a postcode when the area is becoming more and more like a bourgeois dormitory town?

Just seems a shame that businesses that contributed to creating this area?s success are forced out. Didn?t realise park hill were involved in this.

Best wishes to all concerned and fingers crossed they find new business opportunities in 2020 - hopefully not too far away....

Only surprised that when BH took the place they wouldn't have had structured, predictable and reasonable rent increments built into their original contract. So many premises seem to have these cliff-edge rent reviews that hit them out the blue. If it were residential property it would be illegal to hike rents to this degree - Aneto is another that's currently in this situation.

White Stuff, Oliver Bonas, JoJo Maman and Cafe Nero are all under the thumb of this same landlord. Expect another national chain to complete the corner set.

Devastated for them. It must have been a massive rent increase for them to close, as it always seemed so busy so I'd assume it's quite profitable.

Huge fan of their peckham rye, where am I going to get my fix now? Don't think there is anything comparable nearby.

Parkhill once upon a time had an absolutely humungous sign at the junction of EDG and LL presumptuously taking it upon themselves to welcome people to Lordship Lane, given how much of it they own. Welcoming them to what? The scene of their vast plundering of real estate and generation of wealth? Their website claims,

"We believe that being a successful company in South London brings with it a responsibility to the local community, which needs all the help and support it can get."

What a complete pile of *********

This is Rubbish news!

Its sent me and me and my other half into a downer!

It used to be our regular Saturday morning treat to go and get the chocolate Sourdough loaf.

And I personally always enjoyed a toast and coffee or lunch there on my days off.

The area is losing its magic I dread the thought of a chain place taking that beautiful space over and more importantly I am gutted for the staff who find themselves without jobs with the high street and catering businesses in decline nationwide.

I wish the owners and staff good luck and good news in 2020.

And I hope the place reopens in Forest Hill or perhaps somewhere else in Peckham

It wasn't the cheapest place but good food and fresh ingredients cost good money and for us it was a once weekly treat.

Best bread and best flat white by far. And one of the most fabulous, family friendly spots in SE22. Absolutely devastating news for the area. Their peanut butter cookies and out of this world salads will be forever missed.

I really do hope they open shop elsewhere. Soon!!

You can buy Peckham Rye bread at Franklin?s...

kerry2015 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Devastated for them. It must have been a massive

> rent increase for them to close, as it always

> seemed so busy so I'd assume it's quite

> profitable.

>

> Huge fan of their peckham rye, where am I going to

> get my fix now? Don't think there is anything

> comparable nearby.