dog hit by car near Peckham Rye

DadOf4

yesterday (30 December) I saw a terrible accident where a dog was hit by a car just outside the gates of Peckham Rye (near Herne Tavern)

She was a greyhound (called Lola I think)

If anybody knows the owner, I'd really love to find out how she's doing and to send my best.

Thank you for your message of support. It was our lovely Florence (Flo) that was hit when she ran out of the park. Were you the man that offered to take her to the vet in your car?

She's suffered a bad knock to the chest and has broken her left hip in 4 places. She's at the emergency vet in Camberwell until her hip operation on Thursday, sedated and stable. This is to allow her lung function time to improve prior to surgery.

Thank you to all the wonderful people who came to help and offer support, and a particular thank you to the pharmacist and her daughter at Foster and Sons. Not only did they allow us to take over the floor of the chemist's shop, but they gave us blankets and went into emergency aid mode, staunching the wound and attempting to put butterfly sutures on so that we could move her to the car. (Don't worry, I have been to thank them in person).

So sorry to hear about Flo?s injuries, and wishing her a speedy recovery. It was very distressing to all who were there. I have to add that the pharmacist and her daughter were so helpful and kind. What a horrible thing to happen over what should be a time of celebration. Thinking of Flo and her family.

Fingers crossed for Flo, and I hope she has a speedy recovery. At least it's not too hard keeping greyhounds bedbound for their convalescence.

Our grey ran out from the same gates when she was chased by two dogs. Luckily it was when the lights were red, but time stood still while I waited to hear the squeal of brakes. It must have been so frightening for both you and Flo.

Do they not have a notice on the gates, like those at Goose Green, to keep the gates closed at all times?

It sounds like this isn't the first & wont be the last time this happens unless it is reported.

How terrifying for both of you. I'm terribly sorry to hear this happened.

I hope Flo pulls through with a full recovery; both mentally & physically.

ED Bird Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do they not have a notice on the gates, like those

> at Goose Green, to keep the gates closed at all

> times?

Some people either don't see such notices or just ignore them, unfortunately.

Those are the main park gates and aren't supposed to be closed while the park is open. I walk our dog there every day, and it is always a worry, but it isn't about people not closing the gates.

Wishing Flo a full recovery, it's my nightmare...

Contact the local councillor/council to ask for self-closing gates and notices to be installed.

We did this a few years ago at Goose Green after our new puppy ran out onto the main street through an open gate.

It was sorted pretty quickly if I recall.

ED Bird Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do they not have a notice on the gates, like those

> at Goose Green, to keep the gates closed at all

> times?

> It sounds like this isn't the first & wont be the

> last time this happens unless it is reported.

>

I was standing outside the doctor's surgery last Monday and saw this happen. As a dog owner myself it was really awful to witness an animal in distress but very reassuring to see people helping Flo so quickly and effectively. I hope she is on the mend and that the operation went well.

Flo is making good progress and we thank you for all your kind messages. She's had a femoral head ostectomy (removing the ball and socket joint from the top of the femur). Her chest injuries have recovered well and she is now able to get up and walk a short distance.

She's not lost her sweet nature and the prognosis is good. We only rescued her in August, so it's a relief that she hasn't lost her trust in us, even though we've had to make her move when she is uncomfortable.

Good advice about the PRP gate. I've often worried about small children who leave the park on their scooters through that gate.

Great news about Flo - hope she continues to recover well!

I totally agree about the gate. Recently our dog ran out of it and across the road - luckily the two drivers were going slowly because of the lights so he - and they - were unharmed. I've seen other dogs do the same as well. Even the best behaved dog can sometimes run off - maybe if being chased, or if it sees / smells something across the road - in our case it's food and rubbish on the floor by the bins or on Piermont Green (he's a labrador!).

And yes, I've seen children speeding down that path on foot or scooter, straight towards the busy road.

It's a dangerous spot, and it would be good to keep the gate closed as is done in some other parks. Maybe a sign on the gate? It might cause inconvenience to some people, which of course would be a real shame. But I think preventing more accidents is more important. As far as I know there have been no fatalities yet - but there could be, and a horrible injury like poor Flo's is bad enough. There is a clear danger to dogs and children, and to drivers and cyclists in the road - and it could be prevented.

Thanks Spikey - that's really useful to know. I'm going to try to do this for the PRP gate.

Just wondering if anyone else has contacted the council about the gates yet, or is thinking about doing so ...

Could be more effective if lots of us raise it...