Now brickhouse is gone.....

I am attempting to work from home today in East Dulwich but I have building work going on next door which is grating in me already! Now my trustee Brickhouse is gone, where else is good to go?! Where you don?t feel too uncomfortable if you are on your laptop in there a good couple of hours. East Dulwich or surrounding areas, thanks!

I am assuming this must be ironic - what better explanation for the failure of a business (which can't afford its increased rent) than to hear of a 'couple of hours' table blocker. Cafes survive on fast throughput and multiple covers (where the trade isn't take-away). Unless you've been consuming multiple coffees and buns to 'pay' for your table occupancy.

Whilst I appreciate your slightly unnecessary response, it was simply a question. I do however understand your point, having said that I always bought at least a couple of drinks and some lunch, I wasn?t plugged into the wall plugs and wouldn?t hog a table if the place was brimming with people.

If anyone can suggest a coffee shop I can buy something to drink and get some lunch whilst working that would be lovely.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am assuming this must be ironic - what better

> explanation for the failure of a business (which

> can't afford its increased rent) than to hear of a

> 'couple of hours' table blocker. Cafes survive on

> fast throughput and multiple covers (where the

> trade isn't take-away). Unless you've been

> consuming multiple coffees and buns to 'pay' for

> your table occupancy.

Always wonder if this is the best method with so many failing - pubs have always looked for the session drinkers.

I do session coffee.

I'm always put off going to cafes to Eat and Drink by Buggies and 'Table Blockers' ?

I have witnessed situations where one person has 'Hogged' 4 spaces with their Laptop , newspapers and Paper work.

The place is full but not everyone is spending any money.

Inexperienced Staff not aware or unable to deal with the situation. Clearing tables encouraging people to move on.

There was a busy Starbucks with a large room underneath in Holborn (top of Chancery Lane) that was a favorite for laptop users, interviewers and salespeople to hang out for long periods.

They closed - I assumed as even they couldn't support all the non buying residents.

Thanks for suggestions everyone. Whilst I totally agree with the point of view some people hold, most likely a cafe on Monday afternoon wouldn?t be full. So if someone like myself pitches up for a couple of hours and spends at least a fiver, I don?t see the harm. I don?t think thats what puts them out of business. Soaring business rates + rents are the main issue. I?m sure there are people that let the aside down of course. Those ?buggy? lot are also spending their money and supporting a local business. So whilst I understand the point, I think there a little more to it. I?m really sad brickhouse has gone, from a small food business myself I know the blood sweat and tears that go into it. X

Hi,

I just saw this post and wanted to let you know about our new business opening on Lordship Lane (opposite Franca Manca). Oru Space will be a coworking space, event space and wellness space. And we will also be running a cafe, opening in early March, where we are happy for you to work :)

You can see a little bit more about us at www.oruspace.co and I am happy for people to contact me directly on 07760 641890 to learn more.

Paul

Jrice18 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I very much doubt there was a queue outside

> waiting for a table.

No, because they would have gone elsewhere, as we did when we went and found it full.

• 2 weeks later...