LTN: Our Healthy Streets - Dulwich: Phase 3

bobbsy

I have filled in the questionnaire - this looks a nightmare - extremely long convoluted journeys to get from A to B.

I predict very slow traffic on the main roads, with increased air pollution due to it.

they managed to mess up the junction in the village (people not realising who has the right of way - also the bike lights send you through the red light for the cars, but it is also the same light for the crossing - I have cycled thru when the green man was illuminated because there is nothing to signal this to the bike rider.

If you are going to tackle air pollution, carbon emissions, road danger & congestion by enabling a wider range of people to get around without a car, it's hard to see how anything other than these plans would work. And as that's what most people have said they want in countless consultations, whether in the Dulwich area, borough wide or in London as a whole want, we should now get on with it.

Yes there will be some angry and shouty people seeking to dominate the public meetings, yes there will be teething problems. What is important is that rather than put faith (and more time & money) in traffic modelling, which is at best an inexact science, physical measures such as the permeable closures are implemented quickly in temporary materials, so there can be fine-tuning along with the further changes to adjacent roads the consultation mentions.

Lambeth is consulting on major improvements to Rosendale Road, making improvements to Turney Road particularly more important for there to be continuous, safe and unpolluted routes to enable a much wider range of people to walk and cycle.

spider69 - there is going to be a similar consultation for Camberwell including Champion Hill, hopefully proof of joined up thinking emerging!

The big problem with transport in this area is lack of East-West routes due to both geography (hills) and history (the estate). Closing one of these routes is not going to help and doesn't address _why_ people are driving.

Edited to add: the other problem with transport in this area is non-local pupils and (to a lesser extent) non-local teachers and employees.

Having looked at it, it proposes to close Townley Road from 7am-10am & 3pm-7pm to everyone except residents & other permit holders - Wonder who the other permit holders will be? The coaches? Does anyone have anymore info? Would love to see the info on the air pollution and traffic when private & then state schools are on holiday, to compare with when they aren't - Does this info exist anywhere?

I walk my kids to school along Townley Road everyday & there is clearly an issue, but I would say the main issue is the coaches and people using Calton Avenue as a cut through avoid Red Post Hill lights/queues.

Would love to see the info on the air pollution and traffic when private & then state schools are on holiday, to compare with when they aren't - Does this info exist anywhere?

Try @CleanAirDulwich on Twitter, they may have some info on traffic stats in and out of term time.

I have filled in the questionnaire - this looks a nightmare - extremely long convoluted journeys to get from A to B.

Which is the generally accepted way of getting people out of private cars. You make the neighbourhood permeable to buses, bicycles, scooters, and on foot and then direct cars around the long way. Works well in places like Ghent and Amsterdam. Madrid and Oslo have recently introduced very similar systems too. You allow traffic in and out (obviously - plenty of people need a car in some apsects of their lives) but you just restrict the "throughflow" - the people who drive straight through, use it as a rat-run, don't stop and use the shops, don't benefit the community.

To be fair, as mentioned above, the whole area needs drastic action. Tinkering around the edges with CPZ and speed humps and parking charges in the parks isn't really helping much. Ultimately you have to force modal shift sometimes; carrot works for some of it (like making it easier to travel by bike or on foot) but you need some stick too (like charging for parking or making it more difficult to drive a couple of km).

Will push a lot more traffic down East Dulwich grove and past the new school. Slightly concerned that this will

improve air quality in the village at the expense of the greater number of people living in ED. Don?t get me wrong, I think they?re good plans, but would be good to have an area wide plan that includes East Dulwich

rahrahrah & Monkey

The council does not have the staff capacity to consult and deliver on large parts of the borough all at once and is also busy doing lots elsewhere, e.g. around Rotherhithe. Separate plans are being brought forward for the Lordship Lane area in a few months: http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgIssueHistoryHome.aspx?IId=50021892&Opt=0

The main thing is to get strong support for this ambitious Dulwich scheme so that officers and councillors get used to proposing, supporting and delivering effective schemes - rather than just surveys and studies that lead simply to (cycle) symbols painted on rat runs. That sadly seems to be the situation still in the Bellenden area.

No. The main thing is to stop this ridiculous proposal which has the effect of stopping people in East Dulwich from using public roads to drive to work, but gives North Dulwichers beautifully empty roads for their two minute drive to Alleyns.

ollflick Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> rahrahrah & Monkey

> The council does not have the staff capacity to

> consult and deliver on large parts of the borough

> all at once and is also busy doing lots elsewhere,

> e.g. around Rotherhithe. Separate plans are being

> brought forward for the Lordship Lane area in a

> few months:

> http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgIssueHistoryHo

> me.aspx?IId=50021892&Opt=0

>

> The main thing is to get strong support for this

> ambitious Dulwich scheme so that officers and

> councillors get used to proposing, supporting and

> delivering effective schemes - rather than just

> surveys and studies that lead simply to (cycle)

> symbols painted on rat runs. That sadly seems to

> be the situation still in the Bellenden area.

I?m certainly not going to support a scheme which is going to push me onto a hellish commute which will take me an additional 1h20 minutes a day. Oh and that?s when I don?t have to go to parents? evening in Deptford which is where the council suggested i send my daughter to secondary...

Happy to leave my car behind but give me good local transport.