We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.fabbeautelondon.com

www.circlepsychologypartners.co.uk

Glazer Delmar

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6465666768697071727374Next
Current Page: 72 of 74
messageRe: Our Healthy Streets - Dulwich: Phase 3
Posted by rahrahrah October 16, 05:40PM

I’m just taking Rockets figures as read. That seems like a high percentage to me, but maybe 🤷‍♂️

Posted by first mate October 16, 06:16PM

Precisely. The majority of journeys, say, half a mile are going to involve a rather steep hill. Were it a matter of flat ground everywhere for miles in all directions that would be different, but the hills are truly serious stuff and only the very fit will get up them on a regular basis. Much as some would like, this fact cannot just be airily dismissed.

Rockets Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> rahrahrah Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > @rockets.
> >
> > So 67% of car trips under 3 miles. I would
> > describe that as 'significant'.
>
>
> But can they all be walked or cycled? A 6 mile
> roundtrip would be a significant distance for many
> would it not - especially given Dulwich is
> surrounded by significant hills on most sides?
>
> As I have said before I think you can make a dent
> in the 35% shorter than 2kms but that's about it.
> That leaves 60%+ that are most likely always going
> to be done in a car. And I would be very
> interested to know what TFL counts as a car
> journey and whether private hire and taxis are
> included with that.

Posted by Rockets October 16, 07:54PM

And, of course, the numbers quoted by TFL are London wide and as you get further out of London so the journeys, invariably, get longer due to the lack of proper public transport infrastructure the further you get from the centre. So I very much suspect in an area like Dulwich the skew is much further towards the longer journeys, especially given Dulwich's proximity to the A205.

And of course TFL acknowledges that the more children you have (you might have noticed there are a lot of children in Dulwich - Nappy Valley and all that) the less the opportunity to cycle.

Posted by legalalien October 17, 09:16AM

Was just having a look at the agenda for Southwark’s cabinet meeting on Tuesday which will consider the LTN petition.

[moderngov.southwark.gov.uk]

I’d advise people to read the report by Councillor Rose at item 23,

[moderngov.southwark.gov.uk], this responds to recommendations by Southwark’s Environmental Scrutiny Commission’s Air Quality Report back in July, which includes some fairly controversial suggestions...

Haven’t read the whole thing yet but did want to share the first paragraph of the conclusion of the commission’s air quality report:

“It can no longer be acceptable for any transport schemes to be developed which cause increases in traffic volumes on other roads, particularly where there are vulnerable populations like schools and hospitals, and when we know those living in poverty, BAME populations and residents in areas of existing poor air quality are least able to cope with the effects of diseases like COVID-19“

That, at least, I think we can all agree on.

Edited to add link to report: [moderngov.southwark.gov.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was october 17, 09:20am by legalalien.

Posted by heartblock October 17, 09:42AM

Describes the LL portion of EDG, “It can no longer be acceptable for any transport schemes to be developed which cause increases in traffic volumes on other roads, particularly where there are vulnerable populations like schools and hospitals, and when we know those living in poverty, BAME populations and residents in areas of existing poor air quality are least able to cope with the effects of diseases like COVID-19“ So time to rethink the gated community barriers and consider some positive changes for all - protected cycle lanes, easy to use cycle stores, public hire bikes, better wider paving, better more accessible local public transport, cleaner larger bus shelters.

Posted by legalalien October 17, 10:02AM

Agree heartblock. The recommendation about LTNs in the original report said this:

"8Recommendation 14: Introduce a borough wide programme of Low Traffic Neighbourhoods. These should be implemented:
 Over a wide enough area in order to realise the benefits of traffic evaporation, which has been shown to take place when there is a significant reduction of short journeys by car under 2km.
 As a priority in areas with high levels of public transport (high PTAL ratings), poor air quality, lower levels of car ownership, in areas of deprivation and where the programs would impact positively on local schools and hospitals.
 Where traffic may be displaced onto main roads, the council must monitor the impact on air quality, and mitigate negative effects in advance of implementation, possibly by widening pavements and creating cycle lanes, managing traffic to reduce vehicle idling time and introducing green screening programmes.
 In conjunction with the introduction of CPZ and a reduction of parking so the kerbside can be utilised for active travel and public realm improvements (such as pocket parks and cycle parking.)
 In conjunction with improvements to Public Transport and other work on adjacent main roads to increase cycling and other forms of active travel."

I'm not convinced the Dulwich LTNs that Southwark have chosen really match the priorities in the recommendation (not that they have to). To be fair, although there's plenty of detail I don't agree with in the commission report, it is very clear on the need for "social justice" considerations, which I guess is what Councillor McAsh is now picking up on...

Posted by ab29 October 17, 11:34AM

Is anyone from here going to attend the cabinet meeting on Tuesday? Rockets? Legalalien?

Posted by legalalien October 17, 11:39AM

It says it’s live-streaming on YouTube

Venue: Online. This meeting will be livestreamed on Southwark Council's YouTube channel here: [www.youtube.com].

Not sure if I’ll tune in to this. Only started reading up about this stuff very recently - and I don’t think it’s good for my blood pressure... is anyone else tuning in / participating eg in support of the petition?

Posted by dulwichfolk October 17, 11:44AM

I like that it says “..it can no longer be acceptable”

Implies everything that has been implemented along with the bus gate changes whose orders have conveniently been added in the last week don’t have to pass this test!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was yesterday, 06:03pm by dulwichfolk.

Posted by ab29 October 17, 11:53AM

legalalien Wrote:
> It says it’s live-streaming on YouTube
>
> Venue: Online. This meeting will be livestreamed
> on Southwark Council's YouTube channel here:
> [www.youtube.com].
>
> Not sure if I’ll tune in to this. Only started
> reading up about this stuff very recently - and I
> don’t think it’s good for my blood pressure... is
> anyone else tuning in / participating eg in
> support of the petition?

Oh ok - thanks. Good point re: the blood pressure;) I wonder if they are planning any Q&A session with residents at all during that meeting.

Posted by Metallic October 17, 12:41PM

Tuesday 20 October 2020 4.00 pm, Cabinet
Venue: Online. This meeting will be livestreamed on Southwark Council's YouTube channel here: [www.youtube.com].
The agenda is posted online, it is on there that there are several deputations applying to be heard, with uploaded documentation in support of whatever they want to say.

There is nothing from One Dulwich but it looks like the RA from Dulwich Village has applied to be heard, along with one of the "pro-closure" groups.

I'll take a look but I would think it is a good idea to watch the live feed to see how the councillors discuss the mess that has evolved in Lordship Lane, Melbourne Grove and environs, Dulwich Village (here after known as East and West Berlin as we all can see, that silly square should be known as The Wall), and generally how they make a huge decision based on a few minutes from those making deputations followed by their discussion.

Boy there is a lot on there to read. However if we are all to get our roads and freedom to choose how we travel back, let's hope there is going to be some commonsense attached to the discussion.

It is probably rubber stamped; this is the pretend consultation. Just like Quietway 7 consultations and Mr Hargrove I think it was. Meanwhile thanks to the water main, the lower part of my road, Townley Road and Calton Avenue are all full of u turners who don't believe a red sign that says 'road closed'.

I'm not going to support the Labour Party locally ever again unless they undo this rubbish set of decisions, with worse to come when the other bits go live.

Posted by Glemham October 17, 02:23PM

With you on your view of the local Labour Party Metallic.
I never thought I would see the day when a Labour council is so enthusiastic about enforcing a policy from an extreme right wing, populist Tory government. Andrew Gilligan, once Mayor Johnson’s Cycling ‘Tsar’ and now ensconced in 10 Downing Street together with the rest of Dom’s Disrupters, is continuing the crusade he started with cycling super highways and Quietways (remember those?) Unelected and unaccountable he will presumably not cease until he has created a cycling Jerusalem........

Posted by Serena2012 October 17, 03:39PM

heartblock Wrote:
> Describes the LL portion of EDG, “It can no longer
> be acceptable for any transport schemes to be
> developed which cause increases in traffic volumes
> on other roads, particularly where there are
> vulnerable populations like schools and hospitals,
> and when we know those living in poverty, BAME
> populations and residents in areas of existing
> poor air quality are least able to cope with the
> effects of diseases like COVID-19“ So time to
> rethink the gated community barriers and consider
> some positive changes for all - protected cycle
> lanes, easy to use cycle stores, public hire
> bikes, better wider paving, better more accessible
> local public transport, cleaner larger bus
> shelters.

On this basis, I simply cannot see how Southwark can justify closing a road like Court Lane, one of the most affluent streets, in the wealthiest ward in the borough (and indeed, based on my Acorn research, home to some of the wealthiest people in the country). A road where car ownership is eye-wateringly high (check the 2011 census data if curious); and to which none of the above vulnerabilities apply, only to shunt the traffic onto Lordship Lane and EDG, which have far greater levels of poverty; far more social housing; schools where thousands of children are educated; a nursery; a care home for vulnerable adults and a health centre. It’s not as if EDG and LL weren’t already suffering from poor air quality.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit was october 17, 03:49pm by Serena2012.

messageRe: Our Healthy Streets - Dulwich: Phase 3attachment
Posted by Rockets October 17, 06:58PM

As I feared. The council is seemingly accelerating and pushing ahead with ALL of the next phase of closures. They will only consult with residents after 6 months but “before 18 months”. They are not going to listen to anyone and Cllr McAsh’s words are as hollow as I feared. The attached was just posted on NextDoor from a resident in the Peckham Rye area.

They are not prepared to listen to the wider community. The only plus side is the chaos these remaining closures will cause will ensure more people engage with the campaign to get them removed.

This council is completely out of control and we are very much suffering from the worst effects of a one-party state. They are will fully ignoring local residents.

Attachments: PeckhamRye.jpg (420KB)  
Posted by legalalien October 17, 07:29PM

I don’t think that “consider people’s views” means consult in this context. I think it means they will consider any formal objections lodged within the initial six months of the order (as the experimental order process requires) and then move straight to permanent decision. I also doubt they’ll write widely to people explaining that they have to put objections in within six months if they want their thoughts to be considered at all. Is that others’ understanding? It would be good if someone from Southwark could confirm this is the process (or clarify if not)...

Posted by legalalien October 17, 07:35PM

This is how one of the other local authorities describes the process

“Once the consultation period has closed all comments received will be reviewed and these will be reported to the Ward Councillors and Cabinet Member (where appropriate) for consideration of the next steps. A decision will be made on whether to continue the Order on a permanent basis.

If formal objections are received they will be considered by Officers but the final decision on whether to proceed will be made by the Cabinet Member (the elected Councillor whose portfolio includes responsibility for parking) or Head of Highways & Transport under delegated authority.“

Mass campaign of objections, anyone?

Posted by Serena2012 October 17, 09:18PM

legalalien Wrote:
> This is how one of the other local authorities
> describes the process
>
> “Once the consultation period has closed all
> comments received will be reviewed and these will
> be reported to the Ward Councillors and Cabinet
> Member (where appropriate) for consideration of
> the next steps. A decision will be made on whether
> to continue the Order on a permanent basis.
>
> If formal objections are received they will be
> considered by Officers but the final decision on
> whether to proceed will be made by the Cabinet
> Member (the elected Councillor whose portfolio
> includes responsibility for parking) or Head of
> Highways & Transport under delegated authority.“
>
> Mass campaign of objections, anyone?

Do we know if it’s like planning whereby there are only specific grounds on which you can object?

Posted by holymoly October 17, 10:08PM

There is a Council meeting this coming week and the Council will debate the epetition against the DV closures. The meeting will be online/virtual and starts at 4pm on the 20th Oct:

You can ask to join the hearing of the epetition objecting to the Dulwich Village closures by emailing Constitutional.Team@southwark.gov.uk and asking to join the Council hearing 20th Oct starting 4pm.

You can read the agenda for this meeting on the following web link:

Posted by Rockets October 17, 10:35PM

It will be interesting to tune in. Looks like the deadline to submit questions has passed...why do I suspect the pro-closure lobby would have been given a heads-up about this.

I very much suspect the council will say they won't do anything until the 6 months has passed for each closure and will push ahead with their, unlawful, closures.

Also interesting to see that someone set an e-petition up in support of the closures and it managed to get 29 signatures.....

Posted by holymoly October 17, 10:58PM

Submit questions anyway and note that the Council meeting has not been well publicised and that questions should be permitted.

Posted by legalalien October 17, 11:00PM

On the objections point - this is not an area I know much about, but if mr google is to be believed, it doesn’t sound as though there is a discrete list of grounds for objections. I think these
Regs apply

[www.legislation.gov.uk]

The wording in the orders is as follows (this one specific to the Melbourne grove etc ones)

“The council will in due course be considering whether the provisions of the experimental order/s should be continued in force indefinitely, by means of a permanent order made under section 6 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984. Anyone wishing to object to the making of the permanent orders or make any other representation regarding the scheme would have 6 months to do so, from the date the experimental order comes into force (or, if the order is varied by a subsequent order or modified pursuant to section 10(2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, from the date that variation order or modification comes into force), and may send a statement to traffic.orders@southwark.gov.uk or to: Traffic Order consultations, Highways, Southwark Council, Environment and Leisure, P.O. Box 64529, London SE1P 5LX; or use the form labelled 'Parking - Road traffic and highway schemes - responding to statutory consultation notices' at www.southwark.gov.uk/statutoryconsultationnotices quoting reference ‘TMO2021-EXP10_LSP E Dulwich’. Please note that if you wish to object to the scheme you must state the grounds on which your objection is made.“

They really don’t make it easy for the average person in the street tbh.

Posted by first mate October 17, 11:13PM

Well this makes interesting reading. The deadline for deputations was 14th October. Two deputations will be heard re road closures.

1. Dulwich Village/College Road and Woodyard residents associations (road closures)
2. Clean Air for Dulwich (road closures)
Is anyone aware of a petition by Clean Air for Dulwich? If so, where can it be viewed? How many signatures.

Thing is, what about all the other road closures? Where is the representation for those? How is it these bodies who will have deputations got wind of it?

The One Dulwich petition is mentioned as item 8 in the public agenda pack, but there seems to be no deputation and it seems as though the council has issued a written point by point response. Can anyone shed light on the process here? Why does a smaller residents association and a pro closure lobby get a proper hearing but not a 2,500 petition. In terms of the latter, is that now it as far as council process goes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was october 17, 11:35pm by first mate.

Posted by Rockets October 17, 11:36PM

They are trying to rig it as they did the CPZ representations. They are trying to make it as difficult as possible for any dissenting voices to be heard and for democracy to prevail.

Cllr McAsh would have been aware of this hearing date yet did not mention it. One suspects the councillors have alerted and mobilised the opposition. It's probably going to be a whitewash.

It is ludicrous that they can admit their own (unlawful) failings in terms of a lack of consultation, can admit the current closures are causing pollution problems yet steadfastly stick to rolling out further closures. If this was the Tories they would be up in arms.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was october 17, 11:37pm by Rockets.

Posted by legalalien October 18, 07:15AM

Sadly Rockets I suspect you are right. Given the somewhat draconian nature of experimental traffic orders, I would expect councillors to be proactive in ensuring those “outside the bubble” were made aware of the limited inputs they might be able to make in a proactive way ie not just following whatever bare minimum rules exist to publish things on websites. Most people don’t have the time or resources to spend their hours trawling through this stuff on the local authority website.

Posted by Spartacus October 18, 09:18AM

First mate
Clean air for dulwich is a twitter group with around 879 followers.

The closest I can find to a petition is here [twitter.com]

I agree it's a whitewash if one dulwich and the 2500 plus signature petition aren't represented at the meeting.

Can't wait till the local elections as this lot have lost the plot.

Posted by Metallic October 18, 10:39AM

first mate Wrote:
> Well this makes interesting reading. The deadline
> for deputations was 14th October. Two deputations
> will be heard re road closures.
>
> 1. Dulwich Village/College Road and Woodyard
> residents associations (road closures)
> 2. Clean Air for Dulwich (road closures)
> Is anyone aware of a petition by Clean Air for
> Dulwich? If so, where can it be viewed? How many
> signatures.
>
> Thing is, what about all the other road closures?
> Where is the representation for those? How is it
> these bodies who will have deputations got wind of
> it?
>
> The One Dulwich petition is mentioned as item 8 in
> the public agenda pack, but there seems to be no
> deputation and it seems as though the council has
> issued a written point by point response. Can
> anyone shed light on the process here? Why does a
> smaller residents association and a pro closure
> lobby get a proper hearing but not a 2,500
> petition. In terms of the latter, is that now it
> as far as council process goes?

You register with the Council for all news on meetings and get emails about business and planning stuff. You delete it for years then suddenly wham!! an important meeting about something that affects us all. It is not devious or secretive play by LB of Southwark, for people who are interested in the borough beyond their backyard, they have been watching for years.

The bloke who started the e petition says somewhere on EDF that he can't make the meeting and therefore you will have to trust that whatever is presented to the Cabinet bu the deputations will embrace or address what he has found support for.

Get the name of your councillors and start tweeting or emailing them if you don't like what you hear. They will be listening if they want a forward career in local government after May 2022.

Let's see how the DV RA get on because I'm pretty certain they will be largely echoing the views of many of the signatories. I have a friend in College Road who told me to read their website. I already had - but maybe people on here spouting conspiracy theories ought to have a look themselves.

Posted by Rockets October 18, 10:56AM

Metallic - to be fair there's not a lot on the DV RA website that makes me think their concerns go much further than the "hardship" the residents in DV are having to endure....their thoughts are outlined below and they are lobbying to get Phase 2 put in quickly to close DV to traffic...which of course makes the problem a lot of worse for others outside of DV.

Here is a clip from their website;

In summary, we expressed the following views which reflect the balance of opinion among the 40+ residents we have spoken to:
– the junction closure has caused significant issues and in some cases real hardship for residents, particularly those living on Dulwich Village
– the phase 2 measures are needed to fix a problem which Southwark should not have created in the first place
– the key issue for our residents arising from the phase 2 measures is access; in combination, they mean that during the restricted hours, it will be very hard for residents on Dulwich Village to access their homes by car from the south, or for residents on College Road/ Woodyard Lane to head north (for instance to Kings Hospital)
– this raises many issues around carers, deliveries, hospital visits, mini-cabs
– we also pressed for increased frequency of the P4 bus, though in practice steps being taken by TFL are likely to reduce access to the P4

It also makes one wonder whether other RAs from across Dulwich are attending the meeting on Oct 20th and if not why only the group in support of the Phase 2 closures made the list. It will be interesting to see if their "delegation" is called upon by the council.

What the council seems to be avoiding is a cross-area public meeting on this. I very much hope Oct 20th is a democratic event and not something that just appears as one-sided and biased as other council actions around this issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was october 18, 11:16am by Rockets.

Posted by legalalien October 18, 11:22AM

It would be good if the councillors could take another good hard look at some of the caveats in the Commission report rather than just the recommendations. Here is another one:

"The demand for School Streets is high and there are over 30 schools in the borough on the waiting list. School Streets are highly popular with parents and children; however, the drawback is that they only cover a very small area and only a part of the journey to school. We have found the process and criteria for selecting which schools are chosen is not clear, for example if the area has high pollution levels or high levels of deprivation.
We need to consider how decisions are made as it is often the local residents who have the means, time and the knowhow who are able to influence council decisions such as targeting side roads.
There is also evidence that the closure of side roads, and other small schemes, do not reduce air pollution exposure for the people on main roads who are at greatest risk. There are certain criteria that must be met for traffic evaporation to take place effectively, a fact that is often overlooked by policy makers. If drivers can find an alternative route where levels of congestion are acceptable, they will continue to drive. If alternatives like cycling are deemed unsafe due to lack of protected cycleways or if there is insufficient space on public transport (as is the case at the moment due to the need for social distancing) then those with access to vehicles will continue to drive, increasing traffic congestion and air pollution on boundary/main roads.
While the Commission welcomed these local initiatives, on the whole, there was concern that the operational activity to deliver the positive ambitions of the Movement Plan lacked a coherent programme. The Commission discovered deprivation data sitting behind the plan, but this was not referred to by the officers in the meeting and there was no evidence that this is being used to drive funding decisions in a systematic way.
There is a risk that pockets of good practice will emerge only in places with the most vocal activists or in areas of large-scale regeneration, but these will not necessarily be the places with the greatest objective needs or that they will deliver the changes which will benefit the majority population. Furthermore, hyper local changes are most likely to cause unintended outcomes with displaced traffic, rather than the win- win outcome of traffic reducing overall (on both the neighbourhoods roads where through traffic had been removed AND adjacent main roads where traffic has evaporated." This is the main point that lots of us are making based on the evidence of our own eyes.

Posted by Metallic October 18, 12:34PM

Rockets Wrote:
> Metallic - to be fair there's not a lot on the DV
> RA website that makes me think their concerns go
> much further than the "hardship" the residents in
> DV are having to endure....their thoughts are
> outlined below and they are lobbying to get Phase
> 2 put in quickly to close DV to traffic...which of
> course makes the problem a lot of worse for others
> outside of DV.
>
> Here is a clip from their website;
>
> In summary, we expressed the following views which
> reflect the balance of opinion among the 40+
> residents we have spoken to:
> – the junction closure has caused significant
> issues and in some cases real hardship for
> residents, particularly those living on Dulwich
> Village
> – the phase 2 measures are needed to fix a problem
> which Southwark should not have created in the
> first place
> – the key issue for our residents arising from the
> phase 2 measures is access; in combination, they
> mean that during the restricted hours, it will be
> very hard for residents on Dulwich Village to
> access their homes by car from the south, or for
> residents on College Road/ Woodyard Lane to head
> north (for instance to Kings Hospital)
> – this raises many issues around carers,
> deliveries, hospital visits, mini-cabs
> – we also pressed for increased frequency of the
> P4 bus, though in practice steps being taken by
> TFL are likely to reduce access to the P4
>
>
> It also makes one wonder whether other RAs from
> across Dulwich are attending the meeting on Oct
> 20th and if not why only the group in support of
> the Phase 2 closures made the list. It will be
> interesting to see if their "delegation" is called
> upon by the council.
>
> What the council seems to be avoiding is a
> cross-area public meeting on this. I very much
> hope Oct 20th is a democratic event and not
> something that just appears as one-sided and
> biased as other council actions around this issue.

I don't think you read all of it? There is a poster like picture on there which is long and addresses some of the issues you just have to scroll through it. And they are being much more pro-active than One Dulwich about the rest of the area so read it properly....I think it will be a positive impact for us in Area B as well as helping Area C with all the extra traffic they are enduring.

The council website is where everyone should register, it is the only way to know what is on the cards. It is no use jumping up and down afterwards because you missed the boat. In normal times there is the Dulwich Community Council or whatever it is now called, where we could hear what the councillors have to say. Nowadays it is imperative to register for those emails because for sure they are not going to waste money on leafletting.

Posted by legalalien October 18, 12:46PM

Metallic - I will go and register on the website now if I can figure out where to do so - but I still don't think that's the answer. It's never been suggested to me before that I should register on a council website in order to be informed of major decisions like this - that's the whole point of mandating consultation in the normal course of things. Where something is being done that would usually be consulted on, I'd expect councillors to take the initiative to make sure that their constituents are aware of it - say a flyer through post boxes, saying "we've put these experimental things in place, if you don't like them, you need to do X by Y date". I get your point that this costs money, but it is still the right thing to do because they must know what proportion of people (and where presumably) have signed up for online info and I suspect it's far from everyone (I'd be interested to see some figures on that - more googling needed!)

I find the whole thing quite bizarre, but possibly because I grew up in a place where almost all local councillors were independent, the population was much smaller, and the level of engagement was accordingly much higher.

We learn from our mistakes.

As it happens, I think I might sign up to support a campaign for proportional representation in local government. If anyone knows anything about such things, by all means send me a message!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit was october 18, 01:27pm by legalalien.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6465666768697071727374Next
Current Page: 72 of 74

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum