Lloyds bank east dulwich due to close......

sweetgirl

sweetgirl Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Another one bites the dust!

Lloyds Banking Group runs Halifax and Bank of Scotland. Wonder if they're merging them all eventually.

Halifax in Peckham not ED though.

Inevitable, as James says. I was at a Barclays this week, paying in a cheque refund from HMRC. The chap behind the counter told me I could now scan my cheques on my mobile app - unwittingly doing himself out of a job, as it's the only reason I venture in banks nowadays.

I struggle to see what people do in banks and have this debate with my mum. 20 yrs ago - yes, people used banks.

Now - bills are direct debit, cheques are rarely dished out, most places give the option of direct bank transfer.

Many businesses prefer less cash as it means less cashing up at the end of the day.

Cash you can withdraw from a cash point. Anything complex they direct you to phone them anyway.

From a cost effective point of view, lets say they have 150 customers a week,so in a year 7800 people.

No idea how much it costs to run the bank, stab in the dark, lets say ?250,000, thats a cost of ?32 per person.

Even when you go in a bank , they have the staff asking what you want to do, always trying to tell you how you could do it without going to the bank. They took one look at my mums 10 yr old mobile and let her pass to pay in her cheque at the machine lol

Turfite Wrote:

> Wonder how much it cost them to build the access

> ramp last year?

I've seen the same thing happen a few times (spending big on disability access on something then closing).

Finance people would know why that is not factored in.

The site is in fact owned by the Dulwich Estate and falls under their restricted list of buildings which means whoever does decide to take it over will have to follow their very rigid guidelines about what they can and can't do with the place.

The lady at the counter informed me that they were only notified on Wednesday this week and that none of them will loose their jobs as a result, but merely be moved to other branches.

andrewc Wrote:

> They were useless in there. Anything more than

> normal and they just referred you on.

> The place was a desert..without the starry sky.

I found this branch really handy for various offline services but yes, I agree, the staff in there could be massively unhelpful nobsworths . They'd spent years just chatting to local shop keepers and old ladies. Anything different - like say taking out ?10k in cash- was met with a sucking of teeth and somw kond of group conference behind the counter.