Street lights

Boddle

Sure there was a thread on this but can?t find it-

Any idea why Bassano Street looks like someone lighting a film set after dusk?? The street lamps are now so bright it looks like daylight. Thankfully we all sleep in rooms in the back of the house but must be awful for those with lamps right outside their window. We are going to have some very confused wildlife.

I appreciate it?s important for safety to have well lit streets but these seem a bit extreme.

Our latest councillor has said he's had problems with emails from here going into spam (think that is what he said) and also that he is very busy. The way to contact him apparently is by emailing him direct- presumably those emails don't go into spam. If you go to the Councillor thread he has his contact details under his name.

I live on Underhill road and have not been able to sleep in my bedroom since the new streetlights were fitted at the beginning of January. I sleep on my sons floor in the back of our house. I have complained to Southwark and I have written to my councillors and Helen Hayes. I?m still waiting for Southwark to respond. The argument made for the switchover is that the lights will reduce CO2 emissions which is true, but it is equally true that the light heads are angled incorrectly so as to emit excessive glare and light trespass, they are too bright turning night into day, they disrupt bird and insect behaviour, and they interfere with our own circadian rhythm. To preserve our wildlife and our right to night the council could replace the harsh white bulbs with warmer bulbs and significantly dim the lights between midnight and five AM which would protect everyone?s interests.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If new upgraded street lights causing light

> problems in bedrooms ask your local councillor for

> a light shield to be added - results in shadow

> facing bedroom windows.

Our street already had shields fitted, but they disappeared when the new streetlights were fitted yesterday. Possibly not compatible with the new LED fittings?

A simpler solution would surely be to reduce the output of the lights with timers?

• 2 months later...
These LED streetlights emit dangerously high levels of radiation and can be adapted to transmit 5G. We are sadled with this simply because they are lower carbon emission - adopted by councils in response to climate change activism. Edited by rob7007

rob7007 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> These LED streetlights emit dangerously high

> levels of radiation and can be adapted to transmit

> 5G. We are sadled with this simply because they

> are lower carbon emission - adopted by councils in

> response to climate change activism. Ironically,

> although painful to look at directly, Melbourne

> Grove is now darker. We must resist these

> Orwellian Big Brother changes. The delightful,

> warm orange glow lamps have gone. It really is an

> outrage and I am happy to help arrange a street

> protest or protest outside the Town Hall.

> Melbourne Grove now has the feel of a warehouse

> car park.

> Rob 07963 183311

Too late

https://ec.europa.eu/energy/intelligent/projects/sites/iee-projects/files/projects/documents/e-street_e_street_guide_en.pdf

unless you ask for them to be switched off completely at night....

These LED streetlights emit dangerously high levels of radiation and can be adapted to transmit 5G

This is rubbish, and the reference to 5G makes me think it is part of a trolling mythmaking exercise. Why you think a low power source is capable of emitting 'high', indeed 'dangerously high' levels of radiation beats me. The 'lower carbon emission' is because they use less power, which makes them less 'powerful' - or rather power consuming - than sodium lights. The 'radiation' they emit is light, sort-of a necessary requirement for a street light.