Trouble Trying To Buy A CPZ Parking Permit On-Line?

Zak

We're currently trying to buy a parking permit on-line and it's turning out to be a bit of a nightmare. It's "the easiest way" according to Southwark's letter, but that's not our experience.

First you're asked for all your credit card details - card no., name, security number. The system gobbles that up!

But then you have to open an account.............

Your user ID is your mobile phone number, but it takes a while to find out that they want the number without the "0" prefix, but with "44" instead"

Your password is then required and it's not until you've tried a few times that you're told about the combination of letters and symbols required.

Then there's the encrypted code that you need to enter (to demonstrate that you're not a robot) which you enter to the best of your ability, only to be told (repeatedly) that some or other of the details you've just entered are wrong!

If you do get through that stage, but you're not the council tax payer (ie your name isn't actually on the bill), you're then told that you need to upload some personal identification and wait for an email back confirming you exist.

We've yet to manage to get through to actually make a payment and buy a permit - but there's still three weeks to go!

Oh yes.....there is a number that you can ring to buy one over the phone, but the recorded message recommends going to the website to buy it on-line - but perhaps we didn't hang on long enough!

Anyone else having a problem, or is it just us?

That?s the thing about CPZs. You live on a street with bad parking and think a CPZ will sort it out. I lived in Brixton 15 years ago near the park and due to parking voted for the CPZ. I regretted it once it came into force. Parking for some reason didn?t really improve. However it caused a nightmare when someone came to visit. Even when I was moving to east dulwich 15 years ago, I remember the parking wardens hovering around the removal van waiting to ticket. I was told to go to the council office - what a joke!! Never agree to a CPZ!!!!

That's so frustrating,

Sounds like tech issues or just badly designed system.

I've just moved out of Dulwich to Lewisham Borough.

Found pay by phone system easy registered day before needed it.

5 hours for ?2.80

Here theres

Pay via app

Pay via website

Pay library for scratch off tickets.

Or residents permit.

Though free after 7pm and weekends.

So we moved on weekend.

Hope they improve Southwark one.

Yes, I had exactly the same experience, I already have a Southwark account to pay council tax- but that account doesn?t work- you need a separate account to buy a parking permit - same problem with passwords etc. - I uploaded a document ( the council tax bill sent to me by Southwark) and am now waiting for them to verify the document that they know they sent me.

I have just tired to open a on line account, got as far as my login details being emailed to me, great I thought, but when i put my screen name and password in, which was emailed to me automatically, it wont take them, I feel like I am banging my head against a wall, someone on here said it is really easy to order a permit online, not from my viewpoihnt its not, its just useless.

We have been having exactly the same problems, doesn?t seem to matter whose name is the lead on the council tax bill - the system will not recognise the account number. Tried the phone line - listened, through gritted teeth, to the endless messages saying how easy it was to get the permit online - finally got put through to a recorded message which said ?sorry this mailbox is full? and the call was disconnected! Have uploaded a water bill and await confirmation from Southwark that I do indeed live in the house for which they have been charging me council tax!

When our CPZ came into force about 10+ years ago, Lambeth's online procedure used to be horrendous and starting a CPZ account was not something I'd wish to go through again.

Nowadays however, I can renew my permit within minutes although the fee has climbed from ?85 to just under ?200 which is now my real complaint.

Carrie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We have been having exactly the same problems,

> doesn?t seem to matter whose name is the lead on

> the council tax bill - the system will not

> recognise the account number. Tried the phone line

> - listened, through gritted teeth, to the endless

> messages saying how easy it was to get the permit

> online - finally got put through to a recorded

> message which said ?sorry this mailbox is full?

> and the call was disconnected! Have uploaded a

> water bill and await confirmation from Southwark

> that I do indeed live in the house for which they

> have been charging me council tax!

Ask your councillor for help- they are meant to help with these types of issues.

yesterday, i scanned my driving licence photo card to my work address. I then sent the email to my personal email address. I tried to log back onto my account, but could not get on the site, so i emailed the photo card to southwark parking last night, i assume i will hear from them, or do i?

Tried to create an account and pay for annual permit this morning. Computer would not let me get past choice of card payment 'without enabling java script and cookies'. I checked and confirmed both of these were enabled and tried again. Still couldn't go forward so phoned the number. They said they could do everything apart from take payment. I said that was the problem on their website - it wouldn't take payment. They asked what computer I was using? I said Apple. She replied - that's the reason then. The system won't work with any apple device! So I asked how I was meant to pay if I only have an apple mac and an iPhone? She said I couldn't. After a long conversation I asked her to take the issue higher - she took my name and address and telephone number and that was that. She did of course confirm that if I don't pay I will of course receive a parking ticket! Not sure if they'll take that payment via an Apple device? I'll post an update if I get one.... and if it's not soon I think the press is next....

Response from one of the local councillors:

?Thanks for this ? your experience sounds terrible

I have flagged this up with our officers and feel confident that you will hear from them soon

Best wishes, Jasmine

Cllr Jasmine Ali?

Yes ... I have tried yesterday and again today and have given up again ... Tried to call the phone number, straight to voicemail with a message that the inbox is full so it's not possible to leave a message ...

I am getting the message that "The customer postcode of is not in a valid zone for this permit. Please check the customer account details" ...

If CPZ is up and running elsewhere in the borough why is it such a mess in this instance? We had similar shenanigans when Southwark first started charging for garden waste last year. Is it really just council cockup and incompetence?

Councillor responses/intervention to this latest fiasco seem minimal to non-existant, yet they were so very involved in CPZ consultation.

I am attending a meeting tonight at The Belham Primary School - Bellingham Road @ 7pm meeting name: Traffic Chaos!

It is a mess, I have been emailed today that I have now passed "verification" I am dreading now trying to make payment, my letter introducing the CPZ gives me a number to pay on, how do I think that is going to go, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I think my councillors have let me down on this scheme, and I will be punishing them at the next ballot box. I will feed back at the meeting, i hope the council is there, my experiences of their parking department is rubbish. this is on top of the new garden charge and parks parking charges, well done southwark, keep bleeding us money

To offer a ray of hope I was just able to buy a year permit!

First tried last week. Finally managed to log back in after getting password reset and they said I was recognised (finally, had previously uploaded very empty bank statement page) and credit card payment worked. Note was on an Android phone. Lots of notes on page for Apple users.

Good luck!