We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

https://sjbsashwindows.co.uk/

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

http://www.iyouall.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
messageWild garlic in the area?
Posted by Braizen kitchen March 08, 11:10AM

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know of wild garlic growing locally that the public are allowed to pick? Iím in East Dulwich but any of the surrounding areas are fine. Iím cautious not to pick in places I shouldnít be!

Many thanks, Clare

messageRe: Wild garlic in the area?
Posted by carlafindle March 08, 11:20AM

Nunhead cemetery

Posted by JohnL March 08, 01:11PM

Do we pick it anywhere around here - I thought not as a few years ago the woodlands were stripped.

You need a forest.

Posted by Penguin68 March 08, 04:45PM

You also need to be careful not to mistake it for very poisonous lily of the valley [paulkirtley.co.uk]

Posted by Melihoople March 08, 08:56PM

Dulwich woods usually has a lot. I don't if picking is allowed. I just like to identify.

Posted by DulwichFox March 08, 11:22PM

I believe It is illegal to uproot Wild Garlic in the UK.

DulwichFox

Posted by Penguin68 March 09, 08:34AM

Although all the wild garlic plant is edible (and none of the lily of the Valley) the bulb is described as 'disappointingly small' - normally the leaves only are harvested (cut with scissors) preserving the plant - ideally leaving a few leaves to sustain the plant and leaving the flowers to form seed. Uprooting in entirety as DF says (and I also believe) is illegal. Any wild foraging should be careful to ensure continuity of supply in future.

Posted by Sue March 09, 03:23PM

Melihoople Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dulwich woods usually has a lot. I don't if
> picking is allowed. I just like to identify.m

I thought there was a notice somewhere asking people not to pick the wild garlic in Dulwich Woods.

Have I imagined it?

You are hardly likely to pick lily of the valley by mistake! It doesn't smell of garlic big grin

Posted by UlStED March 10, 08:45AM

Might be a bit further than you'd like but we saw loads and loads of wild garlic at Box Hill last spring (near the stepping stones) and in previous years also near Ightam Mote.

Posted by Huggers March 10, 10:01AM

I have masses in my garden, itís overwhelmed everything else and grows spring summer autumn

Posted by Angelina March 10, 10:40AM

you're not allowed to pick it in the woods as they were stripped bear.

If you're interested in foraging, you have probably read this

[britishlocalfood.com]

Posted by edcam March 10, 11:32AM

They have loads for sale at Borough Market. Probably wise to get some there.

Posted by DulwichFox March 10, 11:44AM

What's wrong with normal Garlic ?

What's the difference. ??

I'm actually very confused ! Does Wild Garlic actually have Bulbs/Cloves ??

DulwichFox

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 10, 11:47am by DulwichFox.

Posted by edcam March 10, 12:33PM

DF - the leaves are used and have a much milder flavour than ordinary garlic. They make a great soup or pesto and it only appears for a few weeks each year.

Posted by DulwichFox March 10, 01:00PM

Thanks edcam. That seems to make sence.

Foxy.

Posted by JohnL March 10, 02:10PM

Huggers Wrote:
> I have masses in my garden, itís overwhelmed
> everything else and grows spring summer autumn

Back in the woods in Gower - we had masses of Bluebells and Wild Garlic and eventually some hybrid emerged that was blue garlic.

My mother swore this was true and it showed nature was going crazy. Nobody believed her smiling smiley

Posted by Sue March 10, 09:43PM

JohnL Wrote:
> Huggers Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have masses in my garden, itís overwhelmed
> > everything else and grows spring summer autumn
>
> Back in the woods in Gower - we had masses of
> Bluebells and Wild Garlic and eventually some
> hybrid emerged that was blue garlic.
>
> My mother swore this was true and it showed nature
> was going crazy. Nobody believed her smiling smiley

I'm not surprised. That sounds highly unlikely to me big grin

Posted by Braizen kitchen March 12, 01:44AM

Thanks everyone!

Posted by emjorealdavies March 12, 10:15AM

I have an abundance of three-cornered leek in my garden - not quite wild garlic but similar smiling smiley if anyone wants some feel free to PM and I'll give you a load!

Posted by Sue March 12, 06:35PM

emjorealdavies Wrote:
> I have an abundance of three-cornered leek in my
> garden - not quite wild garlic but similar smiling smiley if
> anyone wants some feel free to PM and I'll give
> you a load!

That's a very kind offer, and I was all set to PM you, until I googed it (as I'd never heard of it) and found this:

An invasive species brought over to the UK from the Mediterranean, it is an offence under Schedule 9 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act in England and Wales to plant or otherwise cause to grow this species in the wild.

So geting some leaves would be fine, but I'm not sure I'd want to plant it on my allotment big grin

Posted by emjorealdavies March 13, 09:54AM

Yes hahaha it's a nightmare, it's taken over the garden! It's a rented property so we didn't plant it, but trying to use as much of it as possible to get rid of haha smiling smiley You're welcome to pick some for cooking if you'd like smiling smiley

Posted by TE44 March 13, 10:35AM

[wildfeast.co.uk]
Three cornered leeks grow in my garden, I eat the bulbs to keep them down. Just found this info on link above, how ants help the spread moving seeds and pickling seeds, might try that this year. I love the flowers.

Edited to say the ants don't pickle them, ha ha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was march 13, 10:37am by TE44.

Posted by Beej March 13, 01:28PM

Wild Garlic soup is lush and I can't wait for the season to start which is only just round about now. We always go through to Ighaham Mote where there is masses of the stuff, you can freeze it too. And obviously there's no need to uproot it, just pick away there's enough for everyone if you travel just outside the city.

Posted by Brian up the hill March 15, 04:27PM

Being a volunteer in Sydenham Hill Woods, we work very hard to keep them in shape. We maintain the paths, pick up litter, remove invasive species, survey the wildlife and many other tasks besides. We would ask that no-one picks wild garlic in these woods. Not only is it illegal but trampling causes permanent damage to the ecosystem there. This is especially so now the ground is sodden by the enormous amounts of rain we've had. There is a noticeable deterioration in the state of the main paths from the extra footfall resulting from the closure of Cox's Walk bridge. We are doing our best to address this but please do not exacerbate it by trampling over sensitive areas in search of wild garlic. Furthermore, the areas where is is found are also important for our native bluebells and trampling will cause serious damage to these as well. Please don't.

Posted by Sydney Carton March 15, 05:09PM

Keep it up Brian

Posted by TE44 March 16, 09:40AM

Brian up the hill, thank you for maintaining safe pathways. Does the wild garlic get used by any of the volunteers. Does the bluebells share the ground with wild garlic? I thought most of the wild garlic in the woods was fenced. It would be nice to think the benefits of this wild plant are being used, by people who understand the habitat and how to pick it.

Posted by edcam March 16, 11:51AM

As Brian said, it's illegal to pick it. Please don't.

TE44 Wrote:
> Brian up the hill, thank you for maintaining safe
> pathways. Does the wild garlic get used by any of
> the volunteers. Does the bluebells share the
> ground with wild garlic? I thought most of the
> wild garlic in the woods was fenced. It would be
> nice to think the benefits of this wild plant are
> being used, by people who understand the habitat
> and how to pick it.

Posted by TE44 March 16, 12:57PM

Edcam, I didn't realise Brian was saying its illegal to pick wild garlic, I thought he meant it was illegal to trample on plants in fenced areas. I was asking as i've been involved with community projects where as a volunteer I have been given some of veg grown. I was not inviting nor asking for myself, I am aware there are laws protecting plants, although with wild garlic I thought it was the actual digging up that was illegal. I appreciate and respect the care being taken but i also am interested in the laws surrounding foraging.
Thanks for link Angelina.

Posted by Penguin68 March 16, 01:37PM

although with wild garlic I thought it was the actual digging up that was illegal.

I think that's right - as long as you have a legal right to access the land, then harvesting things (cutting leaves) is OK - it's stealing or killing the plants which isn't. So you can't take bluebell plants from a wood, but you could pick bluebell flowers. Although you probably shouldn't as that spoils the (fee and beautiful) display for others.

Posted by TE44 March 16, 03:33PM

Penguin68. I think its a pity no one is benefiting from this plant with it great properties. I agree it should be done with care and thought. I am not sure what Brian means by illegal. although I have no doubt his intention are for what's best but it would be interesting to know.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum