is Dulwich Hamlet game on?

macutd

It is completely irresponsible of the Club to be promoting the match in the current situation. I hope fans who say they don?t care whether they infect themselves by attending will stop to consider whether they would really want to pass the virus on to others in the community who may be more vulnerable than themselves, in local shops, pubs and stations. The most community-minded thing the club could do would be to cancel the match.

sdrs Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It is completely irresponsible of the Club to be

> promoting the match in the current situation. I

> hope fans who say they don?t care whether they

> infect themselves by attending will stop to

> consider whether they would really want to pass

> the virus on to others in the community who may be

> more vulnerable than themselves, in local shops,

> pubs and stations. The most community-minded thing

> the club could do would be to cancel the match.

I completely agree.

sdrs Wrote:

> It is completely irresponsible of the Club to be

> promoting the match in the current situation. I

> hope fans who say they don?t care whether they

> infect themselves by attending will stop to

> consider whether they would really want to pass

> the virus on to others in the community who may be

> more vulnerable than themselves, in local shops,

> pubs and stations. The most community-minded thing

> the club could do would be to cancel the match.

Agreed. DHFC has always prided itself on being a community-minded club. It should put the community (which includes many vulnerable people as well as those who work at or are visiting friends & relatives in Kings College Hospital down the road) first in this situation. I'm sure many would appreciate the club taking a cautious approach. Especially as govt is now indicating a clampdown on mass gatherings.

Penguin68 Wrote:

------------------------------------------------------

>

> Surely if you are worried you can choose not to

> go?

It's not just a matter of choosing not to go if you are worried.

It's a matter of those who are not worried and who do choose to go potentially spreading the virus to vulnerable others, either at the match or travelling to and from it.

You can be infectious without knowing it, before symptoms develop.

> It should put the community (which

> includes many vulnerable people

> as well as those who work at or

> are visiting friends & relatives

> in Kings College Hospital down

> the road) first in this situation.

I hope and trust that those groups will by now already be very wary of unduly increasing their risk of exposure.

The government's argument is that there are many (young, healthy) individuals for whom Covid-19 is not a threat, they will suffer only mild symptoms and recover. The more gain this immunity (what evidence there is suggests that people do not catch it twice) the greater the 'herd immunity' will be in the population. So long as they self-isolate if sick their chances of infecting the more vulnerable (elderly, with underlying health issues) is reduced -as it is when these vulnerable individuals (a group to whom I belong) take greater care with their health and exposure).

The idea at least makes some sense. The alternative view is that locking everyone away for several weeks will allow the infection to burn out in isolated homes - so when we are released there won't be people around to infect us. It's a new disease so no one actually knows which view is right. And it assumes that the disease burn-out will take place everywhere, otherwise visitors coming in will re-introduce the virus, into populations not protected by any herd immunity.

Difficult one to call.

Not difficult at all Penguin. Herd immunity only works as part of a vaccination programme, the idea being that those most at risk are protected behind a wall of a vaccinated majority. The term herd immunity was completely misused in that press conference. You do not achieve herd immunity by experimenting with a new virus for which there is no vaccine.

On football games, given that the FA has cancelled all games til the end of march in the higher leagues, it surely should have sent a message to all other clubs to cancel theirs too.

From what I understand the games the FA cancelled in the higher leagues were because a few of the players and a manager tested positive for the virus and therefore all the affected teams were put in isolation.

Also they wanted to keep the emergency services which usually attend big matches i.e. police and medical to be freed up to help with the coronavirus situation.

Blah Blah Wrote:

>

> On football games, given that the FA has cancelled

> all games til the end of march in the higher

> leagues, it surely should have sent a message to

> all other clubs to cancel theirs too.

The FA is recommending that non-professional football can continue as usual, fact.