I need to speak to my son's GP - any advice?

I need to speak to my son's GP and I cannot get through on the phone.

They referred me to 111 yesterday. I rang 111 and they referred me back to the GP surgery.

I cannot get through today. I tried to use the econsult page but as I am enquiring on behalf of someone under 16, I couldn't use it and was redirected back to my GP surgery home page.

I am certain as it's possible for a lay person to be that my son needs a repeat prescription for some medication he had a few months ago.

Is it literally impossible to see or speak to a GP about anything other than COVID19 at the moment?

His throat is so sore that he cannot swallow water!

Not being able to swallow to drink fluids is serious. If you feel your son is ill enough that he needs urgent medical treatment, and in ?normal? circumstances you would take him to A&E, please do not avoid doing so now. See attached from a Consultant Paediatrician. I hope you get the treatment he needs.

Thanks all for the replies.

This is not a sore throat that responds to over the counter medication. He has a history of tonsillitis and mouth ulcers which can go septic and has had to have antibiotics regretfully often over the years.

We do have Difflam thank you intexas although I think we are getting a bit low.

He is gargling with salt water and soluble paracetamol.

He did speak to the GP as he's 16 and she wouldn't speak to me. She asked him to check his throat for white spots, which he has. Then she gave out the standard spiel about Covid19 self-care and told him to ring 111 if he gets worse.

I know that the virus doesn't respond to antibiotics. I am concerned about the bacteria, not virus, in his throat!

This is the 18th day of serious illness in our house and I'm finding it hard to handle.

My GP advised that if you require repeat prescriptions, you should take the copy of your last prescription to your usual pharmacy and they will process this. I did this a couple of weeks ago with no problems.

Also my GP surgery is providing telephone conversations and following a discussion I was invited down to the surgery where my GP (gowned up and with mask) examined me and prescribed new medication.

• Administrator

Peckhampam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> NO.. NOT A&E. I don't often shout but that is the

> most ridiculous suggestion.

Hospitals aren't just for Covid-19 patients. A child can't drink water, that's serious.

As the Consultant Paediatrician says, take them to A&E if you feel you have to. It's not ridiculous.

Peckhampam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> NO.. NOT A&E. I don't often shout but that is the

> most ridiculous suggestion.

Hospitals aren't just for Covid-19 patients. A child can't drink water, that's serious.

As the Consultant Paediatrician says, take them to A&E if you feel you have to. It's not ridiculous.

Tonsillitis often requires antibiotics to clear and can induce complications in the sinuses and ear if not treated, or peritonsillar abscesses which are pockets of infection outside of the tonsil area. If you feel your GP is not responding in an appropriate way, and speaking with another GP at the practice is not an option (for another diagnosis), then absolutely go to A+E. Treatment of all other conditions has not stopped because of COVID19.

I would second this only to offer assurance that going to A&E should be a definite if your son is no better today. But, if you do, try to protect yourselves as best you can.

GP practices need to be careful about developing tunnel vision with Covid 19.

I read somewhere that A&E have different entrances, reception etc for Covid-19 patients and other patients. I don't know if this is the case at King's (if that's where you would be going).

I realise that obviously there is still a huge concern, but it's about weighing up relative risks I think.

Your son might want to consider changing his GP, who sounds unhelpful. I agree try the pharmacy who dispensed the previous antibiotics prescription.

I do hope that you and your son can sort this out quickly and with not too much further stress.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone.

I know I'm late to contribute to this thread and I hope tomskip, that your Son was able to get his repeat prescription.

If you need a repeat prescription there are a number of mobile apps you can use to request the prescription and get the meds sent directly to your home e.g. Echo (recently acquired by Lloyds Pharmacy), Co-op Health.

I use have used Echo for the last 6 months and it's been brilliant.

If you are interested I've written this article ways you can order your repeat prescription online or via app. I hope it's helpful

https://www.yourtrustedsquad.com/post/healthcare-apps-simple-quick-and-convenient-ways-to-order-your-nhs-repeat-prescription-online

Not going to cure but maY help alliviate symptoms.. Honey pref. Manuka and lemon joice dissolved in hot water, kep sipping. Lemon is antiseptic, Ordinairy honey soothing and Manuka both. Tyrozetes (?spell) which you suck also have aneasthetc properties.