Distance keeping in small local independent shops

Today I went to do my grocery shop and wanting to support the smaller independent traders as well as being mindful to eat as fresh food as possible in this time I went to the shops on Lordship Lane.

and the lack of social distancing inside left me leaving empty handed and upset.

Moxons;

was great no more than two in the shop and a wide enough aisle for me and my fellow shopper to purchase and browse safely.

William Rose;

3 allowed in the shop at any time and marked spacing in the queue outside-HOWEVER inside they'd roped off the area in front of the counters leaving a very narrow space for myself and my other shoppers to circumnavigate in-in fact any form of social distancing between customers was pretty impossible it was in fact very crowded-suggestion-perhaps they should do 1-in-1-out policy with no more than 1 shopper (2 if in same household) in at any time, granted it would mean a longer queue outside but for heavens sakes its not like most of us have to rush to be anywhere!

SMBS: (I think thats correct name?)

no social distancing or queue system in place outside-due to the till area being right near the door where fresh produce is displayed there was a real bottleneck created where it was impossible to buy from that display and keep a distance..I glanced beyond and shop looked crowded so I left empty handed.

Suggestion-no more than 3 in shop at any time with queuing in place outside?

Organic Village (again unsure name correct the one nearish Costa)

Utter shambles..no queuing no limit to people inside narrow aisles with staff filling shelves people pushing past impossible to keep any decent form of distance especially as other customers in there just seemed so unaware (or careless) of any form of spacial awareness.-again I didn't even venture to back of the shop where they had what I needed because it was too cramped and full with people browsing and milling about.

As I stated at the beginning of this thread I REALLY REALLY want to support our smaller shops and I use my grocery shop as part of my daily exercise (killing two birds with one stone so to speak!) But I came away feeling anxious and empty handed.

Numbers do need to be limited in shops with limited space within the aisles.

And also other customers please try not to 'zone out' when within these smaller shops just maintain a distance

these are extraordinary times and we all need to be a little more mindful of each other.

thank you.

Couldn't agree more.

I've wanted to shop in both SMBS and Organic Village recently, but each time I've tried, they've been too busy and I've walked away.

Larger shops are still problematic too, we all dutifully queue 2 metres apart outside, but once inside, everyone seems to mill around and not be aware of keeping their distance.

It's also not really a time for browsing, just make a list, grab what you need and leave. Although I do appreciate many people are probably shopping for friends/relatives too, so it can be quite a task finding everything.

I went to organic village yesterday and they were operating a strict entry system and directing people around a one way system as the shop was so small. Customers were also keeping well clear of each other.

Could down to be who is in charge that day I think. totally agree that the small shops are problematic and need to keep on the ball.

Yes, I also turned away from SMBS yesterday as well, for the same reason. Organic Village was better as hardly anyone in there, and I think they were monitoring numbers but not very clear and no one way system at that point.

Was very reassured by stricter rules limiting numbers at Lloyd's Pharmacy and Luca's, amongst others. BUT, especially surprised that Sogim pharmacy had apparently NO restrictions, esp given its very small size. Really needed to get in there but felt very uncomfortable with two others milling about waiting for a prescription (could they not have waited outside??). I did say that at the time but got no reaction.

Now is not the time for middle-class English nimby=pimbyism. Just tell people - politely - to help everyone by staying apart 6 feet, etc. Lives and livelihoods - perhaps those of the recalcitrant shop owner and his/her family - depend on it. There was too much of "I'll do what I want and sod everyone else" in Britain before this sad and dangerous situation; I hope this will change for the better.

Well said.

Although sometimes I think it?s not do much entitlement as typical London don?t wanna talk to / acknowledge strangers.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Now is not the time for middle-class English

> nimby=pimbyism. Just tell people - politely - to

> help everyone by staying apart 6 feet, etc. Lives

> and livelihoods - perhaps those of the

> recalcitrant shop owner and his/her family -

> depend on it. There was too much of "I'll do what

> I want and sod everyone else" in Britain before

> this sad and dangerous situation; I hope this will

> change for the better.

Nigello Wrote:

> Now is not the time for middle-class English

> nimby=pimbyism. Just tell people - politely - to

> help everyone by staying apart 6 feet, etc. Lives

> and livelihoods - perhaps those of the

> recalcitrant shop owner and his/her family -

> depend on it. There was too much of "I'll do what

> I want and sod everyone else" in Britain before

> this sad and dangerous situation; I hope this will

> change for the better.

Unfortunately when one does point out people are too close they can become really defensive and rude-a woman shopping in a small shop I was in asked me to move out the way so she could get to a shelf she needed to get to while I was in line for the till (this was in Dulwich village ) in order to move clear of the shelves I would have had to be about 2ft behind the person in front of me at the till-I pointed out I was keeping the recommended distance and she got a bit huffy with me about it "its only for 2 seconds!!!" I ignored her and stayed put but of course she was then stood waiting about a foot away from me...this shop allowed 3 customers in at a time and we were THE three. she, me the guy at the till paying.

though I am happy to point out to people that they are too damn close for comfort I also feel that people need to become more specially aware and hang back a moment

The government has been promoting the Stay at home message-I think they need to also really push the importance of social distancing INSIDE as well as OUTSIDE I find more often than not in the past week its inside shops that this caution gets thrown to the wind and surely one is at an even bigger risk in a small enclosed space than in a park or pavement.

If you?re queuing for any shop on LL you may manage 2m between you and person behind / in front of you, but passers by are breezing past like there is ZERO distance required. I?ve had a couple actually bump into me !!

I?d probably now say ?if this was a serious situation where we really had to keep our distance...?, but...

siousxiesue Wrote:

> siousxiesue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Does anyone know if Farmer's have a system in

> > place? Getting a bit desperate!

>

> Or can anyone recommend a small grocery shop

> keeping social distancing strictly?

Farmers had kind of distancing effort in place

Not an independent but small Sainsbury up at the Plough, staff please keep your distance!

I know one guy in there to say hello (who has a sketchy idea of personal space normally anyway)and he came right up to me and stood at the self checkout next to mine, and said Hello Doctor, because I had latex gloves on! FFS stay away from the customers.

Totally agree about Sainsburys Local at the Plough, it's a nightmare!

The security guy on the door is just wondering around, moving baskets around, not keeping his distance. At the checkout, they open tills next to each other, so there's no proper distance between customers.

Also, people taking their kids into the shop - why, you idiots! It's not the kids' fault, but they don't keep their distance.

They should have two in, two out, no more than that. Maybe then the queues would deter the teenagers (who are the worst for keeping proper distances).

KidKruger Wrote:

> "William rose, mons and moxtons all have a great

> queuing process."

>

> William Rose doesn't inside the shop! The only

> decent distancing is done by those queueing

> outside if you're lucky.

Yes Agree William Rose is great outside very organised but allowing more than 1 customer in there at a time means it all goes to pieces-I really hope they limit 1 person (or an adult with child ) in the shop at a time.

I actually won't return until they do-the last time I went it was actually scary me and another guy just bumping into each other within a really small area

This may sound facetious but actually it isn't. Just act deranged so they keep away. I'd suggest shouting in a Liverpudlian accent (I'm from the Wirral and doing so terrifies southerners) but shouting is really not terribly socially aware at the moment. Too many people aren't taking this virus seriously. If it is transferable via aerosolised droplets then merely talking can infect people 30 feet away, that's 9 metres. I queued on Friday outside M and S on LL and was aghast at the stupidity of people walking aka brushing past me. If you feel a need to shove someone or be rude, then do so. If you said "I may be infected, but maybe I don't know it yet" you are telling the truth, it's Schroedinger's virus. We MUST assume that we are infected and so are they. Just watching BBC news in theatre recovery units turned into ICUs tonight was terrifying and I spent 6 years as a hospital equipment sales rep selling recovery room monitoring so I'm not generally concerned. I sure as hell am now. Be rude, be obnoxious, be safe.