Have some drivers forgotten safety?

Three episodes in the past few days. At the junction of Forest Hill Road and Colyton Road, I stopped at the red light. The car behind me overtook me and went through - obviously thinking that there was no traffic coming the other way, so why not?

Turning onto Barry Road I came face to face with a car coming at speed on the wrong side of the road - overtaking someone who was driving more sensibly. He just managed to cut back into his lane without hitting me.

Finally, someone refused to give way on the roundabout where I had right of way and drove straight at me....

I only drive in London locally and have never seen the need for a dashcam but I might be looking for one soon!

Funny you post this lollipop the lights at dog kennel hill only this morning I watched a car over take another and go straight through red lights, I always say theres a handful of stupid people that shouldn?t be allowed on our roads. 😡

Lollipop Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I only drive in London locally and have never seen

> the need for a dashcam but I might be looking for

> one soon!

Now would be the perfect time to get yourself a dashcam & take the dangerous drivers off our streets :))

They're going to stand out more than ever during this lockdown.

Ive noticed a lot of speeding recently, maybe because roads are less congested and encourage the dangerous drivers. Last night at the crossroads junction of the Rye, going towards Forest hill, I made the mistake of allowing to go first the bus parallel to me. You know, essential services, transporting essential workers, and all that. Judging by the apoplectic reaction and threatening gesticulations of the driver behind me, I was clearly wrong to be considerate. Stress? Yeah, we're all stressed. Just have a thought for those who are actually trying to carry on , at risk to themselves, to keep things going. That includes bus drivers.

Not a lot will be done in the current situation but please don't forget this when things are 'back to normal'. Political parties not prepared to take on poor driving, and local authorities not joined up, not adequately funded or just not bothered.

Two times in the past week around Oxenford, Bellenden, Copleston area I've come bonnet to bonnet with cars belting down the middle of the road. Young, single drivers both times. Today's driver refused to pull into the big parking space on his left.

Also there's been an increase in drivers using the right-turn box from East Dulwich Road into Adys Road for overtaking or driving through the red lights.

On the other hand, I saw two people walk out in front of cars without looking on Lordship Lane today.

Very little we can do at the moment but the quiet streets mean that some drivers are driving like maniacs and some pedestrians risk walking out in front of them.

Happened to me twice today too .

Driving down lordship lane and a car on the other side of the road , sped up the hill by Goodrich road and over took a bus nearly hitting me as he was on the wrong side of the road . Second one was on the way back on woodvale a complete wide boy in his car with a ridiculously over the top engine for the car tailgated me till I had to pull in for safety reasons and he then sped off at a ridiculous speed up to the traffic lights at forest hill road , only the lights were at red so he had to stop and I pulled up along the side of him in the end . What a jerk

The sad thing is, accidents will inevitably happen.

Because they're at speed there may be harsh injury or worse and the heath services will be called-out

HELLO ? we've a major issue on at the moment which is centred around hospitals and the health services.

KidKruger Wrote:

> The sad thing is, accidents will inevitably

> happen.

> Because they're at speed there may be harsh injury

> or worse and the heath services will be

> called-out

> HELLO ? we've a major issue on at the moment which

> is centred around hospitals and the health

> services.

Yes- I don't remember it being made clear that the reason for NOT driving all over the place is to avoid accidents and thereby putting even more pressure on the NHS...but then many people have to have everything spelled out to them. And if people were not driving around the back streets there would be space for us to walk.

• 1 month later...

you don't need the paper to appreciate the level of speeding, just hang out a while when it's dark on goose green and you'll see plenty of fast lane lemons exceeding 50mph. In fact, by bet is some of these guys are only out for the burn-up on deserted streets.

A bad accident will happen, how could it not, these guys are often going too fast to react to an issue arising.

bels123 Wrote:

> Extreme speeding is unfortunately on the increase

> across London

> https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/lockdown-spe

> eding-metropolitan-police-bank-holiday-a4434581.ht

> ml

>

> Worrying trend

dimples Wrote:

> Happened to me twice today too .

> Driving down lordship lane and a car on the other

> side of the road , sped up the hill by Goodrich

> road and over took a bus nearly hitting me as he

> was on the wrong side of the road . Second one was

> on the way back on woodvale a complete wide boy in

> his car with a ridiculously over the top engine

> for the car tailgated me till I had to pull in for

> safety reasons and he then sped off at a

> ridiculous speed up to the traffic lights at

> forest hill road , only the lights were at red so

> he had to stop and I pulled up along the side of

> him in the end . What a jerk

We live on Wood vale and this happens a lot. I have noticed it more during lockdown, but that could be because I am at home more in the day, it may happen a lot at other times. I have seen people overtake and drive on the wrong side of the road at speed at least 6 times in the last 4 weeks.

Does anyone know what we can do to try to stop this happening? As others have said it wouldn't take much for someone to be crossing the road perfectly legitimately and be hit.

"Does anyone know what we can do to try to stop this happening?"

We are powerless.

reduced policing and empty streets means a virtual green light for dangerous speed freaks.

You could try doing something yourself - at the risk of getting your face filled-in by a disgruntled driver.

Not sure what priority it will take at the moment, though if the same vehicle or location gets multiple reports that?s probably picked up by the computer and routes to KCH might be on a ?watchlist?, but you can report online to the Met Police https://www.met.police.uk/ro/report/rti/rti-a/report-a-road-traffic-incident/?stepid=1-1-2-1-1-2&lid=c3ac428c-fb73-4948-bedd-1469aa202a03

The AA recommend having a note of

* The vehicle's registration

* The vehicle's colour, make and model

* The time and place where the incident happened

* Any other details, such as a description of the driver

The Met Police?s website asks for dashcam footage 2 minutes either side of the incident.

If you see something worrying and have time to report it then it can?t hurt and might take a dangerous driver off the roads.

Most drivers (on the road) not some drivers. Bring in average speed cameras. Change the culture. Sorry I am getting repetitive.

PS as a younger driver and motorcyclist had my fair share of speeding fines - most on dual carriageways not in urban areas so like a reformed alcoholic I am obsessive. But like drink driving I hope that future generations have different attitudes to previous ones on this.