Totem Pole in Peckham Rye

Yes it would of been commissioned around 2014.

I remember the tree stump and was skeptical at the ?10,000 price tag (as I remember) to create the Totem Pole.

It was Boarded up for many Months whilst the Artist worked on the project.

I was actually impressed with the result after it was finished.

DulwichFox.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> yeah I was at opening too, good use of a dead

> tree.

So was I, and spoke to the artist, but was a bit embarrassed as truth be told I don't like it much 😶

The real story is way better. A dead tree stump was turned into an art piece that people can enjoy/ debate forever. Granted it won't be everyone's cup of tea, but anything is better than a dead tree stump that eventually gets removed for being just a dead tree stump. The only alternative was perhaps a new sapling in its place. Personally, I like the quirky totem pole ;)

Treehugger2 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't really like it artistically, but at the

> same time I think it's fab that it was made and

> that it's there. And in that sense I love it!

My feelings exactly.

I remember the guy who did it expected to be finished in a couple of weeks, but it took the best part of a year, as it was riddled with nails from decades of posters being attached. Poor bloke spent more time resharpening his chisels than actually chiselling.

• 4 weeks later...