Why are non essential shops still open?!

Since when did gelato ice cream on lordship lane become essential food? A queue of about 20 people getting ice cream. Complacency and rule bending will only lengthen the government lockdowns. The one outing a day is to reduce contact and limit social occurrences. Selfish when people are slaving away in hospitals without sun and double chip chocolate gelato.

I suppose one could argue it cheers people up on a sunny day and so contributes to their mental well-being now that an Englishman?s* home has become his prison.

(*to avoid upset read Englishman as person of whatever nationality and gender)

I didn?t realise you had two posts on the same matter

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

1. When am I allowed to leave the house?

You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:

- shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible

- one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household

- any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person

- travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home

Show me where the government has defined basic neccessities?

Stop making up your own rules.

Food and drink take aways are allowed to be open. I am allowed to be out of the house to exercise or shop for food or medicine. If on one of those trips I also decide to buy an ice cream, a coffee or a can of beer to take away that is completely within the guidelines.

Yesterday we went out on a combined exercise and essential food trip (bread and flour). We also bought jam doughnuts. Not essential but it cheered up our walk back no end and gave money to a local business we would like to survive this.

Cyclemonkey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What are you going to report them for? Being a

> takeaway food business? Because that is allowed.

It's not a takeaway food business as such. If you're that desperate for ice cream then buy it alongside your essential groceries at the supermarket. Once you allow one independent shop to open, you have to allow them all to open.

I am assuming most people are not going out just for an ice cream. Why would you be more likely to catch it from an ice cream queue than say the queue for meat, vegetables, bread, alcohol or just walking down Lordship lane.

Anyway they are two different issues. Cafes and restaurants are allowed to sell hot or cold food for takeaway - collection or delivery. So this is allowed.

Whether you personally want to queue or go in to the shop is up to your risk appetite as with every other permitted activity at the moment.

I am making the choice not to get the bis at all, others are happy to do so,often for short journeys.

Cyclemonkey Wrote:

> Is there a government list of essential food? No

> there isn't. Ice cream is food, therefore shops

> are allowed to sell it to takeaway. Sainsbury's

> are selling it, along with all sorts of "non

> essential" food.

As the OP said, a queue of about 20 people. If you're in Sainsbury's shopping for essential food, by all means add some ice cream. To go to an outlet selling just ice cream is not essential. Why not open all of the shops on lordship lane, the pizza places maybe, or how about the restaurants?

Lindylou - that is not how the rules work. It is the type of activity not the type of shop. Selling food for delivery or collection is permitted. The rules do not specify what type of food, just food.

Therefore if Sainsbury's can sell ice cream to takeaway so can Oddonos.

I am not really defending the right of E Dulwich people to buy ice cream, I just get annoyed seeing self righteous finger pointing at small businesses by people who don't understand the rules.

No. That is not what the government rules say. How about you read them. It says cafes and restaurants can remain open to sell hot and cold food for collection or delivery. The rules do not specify what is essential food.

Likewise off licences and breweries are allowed to open to sell alcohol for collection or delivery.

I'm highly disappointed that someone decided to report this shop without making any effort to speak to the owners of the shop to get a better understanding. Just go ahead and cause as much trouble for the people trying to keep their business afloat, yeah?

They're within their rights to remain open as they sell food. Whether or not you think the food is "essential" is irrelevant. I don't think that the cheese and alcohol shops on LL are essential, but what I think doesn't actually matter at all.

The problem you're experiencing is with the people queueing.

Edit: resolved some weird wording.

If they are blocking the way why don't you speak to them? I have asked people to move and they are usually happy to comply.

We are all trying hard to live our lives and do the right thing in a very unusual and difficult situation. Try a bit of understanding and chat rather than judgement.

EDguy89 Today, 06:01PM

I'm highly disappointed that someone decided to report this shop without making any effort to speak to the owners of the shop to get a better understanding.

She might have needed to join the queue as number 21 to do that.

keano77 Wrote:

> She might have needed to join the queue as number

> 21 to do that.

Unlikely. Users of the East Dulwich Forum have some semblance of skill with a PC/Smartphone.

Why not try googling a phone number first?