injured bird

I've just found an injured bird on my windowsill. looks like a baby pigeon but i'm not sure. I think it's leg is injured. Any advice on what to do? RSPCA aren't able to help. The recommendation is to put the bird in a box and take to a wildlife centre but I don't drive. Any ideas? Can anyone help?

It's an unfortunate time with everything shut down at moment.

Best I could advise is check online how to care for a baby bird, it may be opportune that you're home more than usual (assumption) and can keep the feathered friend alive until somewhere opens / you find somewhere to place it.

good luck - keep us posted.

scotlass Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The London wildlife protection have called back

> and will try and pick up from me. The little

> fellow is very cosy in a cardboard box in my

> kitchen. Will keep you all posted x

Hi Scotslass, if they struggle to collect from you I'm happy to transport to them?

I didn't mention RSPCA previously when this thread was started because last year I (well, dog) found a small / baby squirrel on Goose Green at night which RSPCA put-down.

It had fallen I think and was injured in some way or concussed, I believe. It's limbs all moved and he ate something form memory, but he had a bloody nose - perhaps form hitting ground.

My first response was to call RSPCA and they arranged to collect the poor critter nest morning if I left squirrel in a box on top of water bins in front yard, not on a bin day.

I left the squirrel in a box with a little food and water and it was collected by time I was home form work.

All good.

I called RSPCA that evening to see how squirrel was doing / what is prognosis on injuries, they said he'd been put down cos that is their policy.

I was a bit gutted that I had basically brought this on the squirrel, even though I'd been trying to help.

I wish I'd known about the options above that posters have advised. It may be that they all would euthanise a baby squirrel as policy like RSPCA did, but obviously now I'd not call RSPCA.

...I avoid RSPCA.

A baby swift fell into my garden, severly dehydrated, & had to take care of it for a couple days {weekend with a bank holiday} but I took it into LL's Neighbourhood Vets & when I called back within the hour, the swift had been pumped with fluids, recovering & sent off to a rehabilitation centre for birds. The Neighbourhood Vets don't advertise themselves as a place to take injured wildlife, but they were fantastic in treating "Sootie". My little lions are registered here because they're the only vets who make me feel like I'm putting my furbabies in, not only experienced, but genuinely animal-loving hands. The vets are lovely.

Heather {The Wingless Bird}

Grey squirrels are vermin and if you catch one on your land you should destroy it. https://www.gov.uk/pest-control-on-your-property. That said I couldn't do that when one got caught in the bird feeder.

My success rate on saving injured birds is zilch as the shock is normally too great.

I've saved a few mice that the cat bought in, but not sure if they survive once they have been mauled. If left too close to the house the cat would bring it back in again.

RSPCA were not interested when we found a terrapin in our garden as they can survive in the wild. Thankfully someone on this forum took it away (don't worry didn't end up in Dulwich Park).

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Grey squirrels are vermin and if you catch one on

> your land you should destroy it.

> https://www.gov.uk/pest-control-on-your-property.

Can you tell me exactly where on that page it says that if you catch a grey squirrel on your land you should destroy it?

It says "insects or animals causing harm or nuisance" on your property.

I have at least one grey squirrel eating the bird food in my garden. I find him quite amusing to watch.

Are you suggesting I should kill him??? Because I am certainly not going to!

:(

Controlling pests yourself

You can:

only trap or kill permitted animals

use permitted methods to kill animals

only use poison to kill the pests it?s intended for - this will be written on the packaging

only use traps that have been approved for use with the species you want to control - you must follow the instructions for use

You can?t use the following control methods for any wildlife:

self-locking snares

bows and crossbows

explosives (other than legal ammunition for a licensed firearm)

live birds or animals, known as ?live decoys?, to attract pests (unless you have a licence)

It?s an offence to keep or release some wild animals, eg grey squirrels - you must kill them humanely if you catch them alive.

Yes I'll paste the relevant sections next time, sorry for assuming that you didn't know that grey squirrels are vermin. I also assumed that as I had put the link after the statement that this would have been clear that this was the government position not necessarily mine. I also put a line that even so that I was unable to kill a squirrel which can be either seen as me being a bit rubbish, or a lover of all wild animals including vermin. Digressing in another world before animal charities my father had to kill a litter of stray kittens who couldn't be found a home by drowning them, it was what you did in those days but he said that it was a horrid thing to have to do.