Ignoring lockdown in ED

This afternoon I had to go to Lloyds pharmacy on North road Road to collect a prescription. I saw a police van on the corner parked across the road outside the pub opposite M&S. They were shifting people away who chose to sit and get some sun on the benches outside the pub. To be able to keep the 2 metres distance, anyone needing to pass would have been forced to walk in the road. I am now totally fed up with this selfish attitude.One of the selfish idiots walked up the road past the pharmacy and winged to all and sundry about how unfair it was as she was "only taking a rest" and she "didn't think police patrolled in East Dulwich".

Yes there are suddenly significantly more cars on the road than the first few weeks of lockdown. Unfortunately lots are speeding dangerously, making it difficult and dangerous for people walking when they have to use the road to stay 2m apart. Shame too as many families had started cycling to do their daily exercise.

bels123 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes there are suddenly significantly more cars on

> the road than the first few weeks of lockdown.

> Unfortunately lots are speeding dangerously,

> making it difficult and dangerous for people

> walking when they have to use the road to stay 2m

> apart. Shame too as many families had started

> cycling to do their daily exercise.

Agree to above post

Queuing outside M%S ( near E Dulwich station) today - the man behind me in the queue kept moving really close - eventually I said that the recommended distance was 2 metres and could he move back a bit - he then announced that the science says that the risk of catching Covid in the open air is virtually nil.

what can you say to someone with that attitude?

siousxiesue Wrote:

> Maybe the benches should be taped off to make it

> impossible to use them?

The Dog in Dulwich Village has taped off its benches.

Lots of people just dont seem to care

treating it like a bloody holiday, I have been looking at worldometers

and wonder if we are all, keeping apart how come we having 4000 plus new cases every day,

I go out for a walk late at night, and avoid everybody like the plague.

It is obvious that I am a pensioner, and as a pensioner it is likley that I am vulnerable.

But people of all ages dont avoid me.

I was forced on to the road about 20 times walking around peckham rye by joggers, one night.

I have had 6 weeks at home now, have not been to a shop, quick walks late at night,

When are these jerks going to realise, the longer we mess about, the longer this will last, and more poor people are going to die

lameduck Wrote:

> Lots of people just dont seem to care

> treating it like a bloody holiday, I have been

> looking at worldometers

> and wonder if we are all, keeping apart how come

> we having 4000 plus new cases every day,

> I go out for a walk late at night, and avoid

> everybody like the plague.

> It is obvious that I am a pensioner, and as a

> pensioner it is likley that I am vulnerable.

> But people of all ages dont avoid me.

> I was forced on to the road about 20 times walking

> around peckham rye by joggers, one night.

> I have had 6 weeks at home now, have not been to a

> shop, quick walks late at night,

> When are these jerks going to realise, the longer

> we mess about, the longer this will last, and more

> poor people are going to die

"Lots of people just dont seem to care" has been my concern for a while and started the following thread:

https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?32,2111041

What worries me most, is that police in London don't seem to care either or maybe there is not enough police? I would like this situation to finish as soon as possible, but the only solution seems to be a "nanny police" like in other countries, because some adults behave like children...Sadly, I can't remember the last time I have seen a police van/car...

KidKruger Wrote:

> Boy racers on LL and Goose Green Road last night

> 2230, anyone see that ?!

> 4 or 5 souped-up hatchbacks racing overtaking

> reckless senseless not a care for anyone else

> around.

> Using empty streets as race track.

I heard this loud & clear. It sounded incredibly dangerous.

It's intriguing watching two distinctive mindsets evolving in the community... one is very interactive, considerate and community spirited, but the other is extremely self-righteous.

I'm getting used to walking in the road more often to avoid cyclists, joggers, and electric scooters on the pavement. Other pedestrians are developing eye contact and hand signals to decide how we considerately pass each other while evading pavement issues.

There is a campaign to extend the pavement space into the road but, although it's useful in some locations, I suspect that this won't help in Lordship Lane as the problems will simply expand to fill the space. Ironically, I'm actually finding the parked cars very useful for jumping into the spaces to avoid the problems on the pavement.

I'm finding most car drivers to be extremely courteous (often stopping to let me pass in the road if they can see the pavement being blocked), but the speeding Boy Racers have been a problem in the past... it would be useful to report this issue to the police, noting specific times and registration numbers if possible, so that they can add Lordship and EDG to their Covid car patrols.

Our new local police team are being more proactive on foot, I've seen them patrolling Lordship several times, so more information about various activities and timings would be useful.

Yep. I go jogging at quiet times, and give everyone plenty of space. But most other people don't seem interested in keeping any sort of distance. Joggers oblivious to others, couples walking side by side not even moving over one inch. People sitting out front of their houses right next to the pavement. People sitting in the park together smoking. Bloody idiots everywhere.

Yes, I actually agree with you both... I have also experienced all of this, and some even more bizarre issues! I didn't mean to single out joggers and cyclists per se, they only create an immediate problem which needs an instantaneous reaction.

I guess that the point I'm trying to make is that these are behavioural issues, not logistical issues. So, I genuinely wonder if restricting parking and expanding the pavement space into the road (as Lambeth is doing) or even closing roads completely will solve this current problem?

I'm not sure what the solution is... so, I'm curious to hear other peoples' ideas, as I'm a full-time pedestrian and can't get anywhere (including to buy food) unless I walk... which is a nightmare.

But I also suspect that there is going to be a significant amount of antisocial behaviour once the lockdown measures are lifted...

The point with the closures is blocking some roads to access only- so emergency vehicles, deliveries, residents can still access but the through traffic can?t- which should mean that there is much more safe space for non vehicle traffic during lockdown. It?s not pedestrianising, but instead making spaces safer. There is a marked increase in traffic today, I also heard cars racing round for around 30 mins or so last night but dangerous speeding isn?t confined to nighttime. Our roads should be safer to use as there are fewer cars (although this number is creeping up) but they?re not because speeds on them are increasing.

I'm not sure what the solution is... so, I'm curious to hear other peoples' ideas, as I'm a full-time pedestrian and can't get anywhere (including to buy food) unless I walk... which is a nightmare.

One simple solution to suburban pavement use would be to make pavements one-way - that is that progress along any one pavement would all be in the same direction (so no need to dodge out of the way of incoming traffic). If you always walked so that the houses were on your left that would achieve this - you would actually be walking on the same side of the street as cars drive - so for drivers this would come naturally. Only if you needed to overtake would you then have to move into the road to do so. More difficult to do on shopping streets, of course, where the location of the shop (that you need) is key - but you could cross the road when you need to, I suppose.

Snooker cue Wrote:

> Every time I go into coop or M&S there is always

> someone openly walking around the shop coughing,

> which is bad enough, but also not even attempting

> to cover their mouth or sneeze into their elbow.

> Next time this happens I'm going to either call

> the police or knock them out

Hopefully they'll know judo and beat the living daylight out of you, since you're likely to be spreading it yourself after your weekly garden parties. Fool.