Architectural Carbuncle Upland Road

Following the outrage and controversy surrounding the demolishment of the East Dulwich, Spa, Wellbeing and Conference Center in Upland Road, architects and planners have been working tirelessly to replace this iconic building. The hoarding teases passers-by with 'Coming Soon........four stunning designer luxury townhouses'. What we have are four cobbled together architectural carbuncles made from what seems to be odd coloured and mis-matched mud bricks crudely aligned into a dwelling designed by some disgruntled ex-Legoland employee. The windows and doors look like 'new old stock' from the 1970's, maybe from the original Coronation Street set? Please tell me if I am being a little harsh, especially if you happen to live near these! Can't wait for the hoardings to be removed, put your sunglasses on, you're going to need them.

?the developer / builder responsible are the most incompetent organisation that I have experienced in my career in the construction industry.? Big accolade there, in a crowded field!

Does anyone have pictures to share? Sorry I ain?t getting out much at moment.

If it is an architectural carbuncle it will fit in very well with what has happened in ED over the past 10 years. What is interesting is the number of 'carbuncles' that overlook the backs of other peoples' houses.

Where you only had 1 back window overlooking your garden you now have two or three with loft extensions and dormer windows.

In 10 years time all these people that own these extremely extended houses will be looking to create flats out of them, or HMOs and the Council will wave them through because they want the population increase and the revenue and votes.

ruffers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I live in a very modern looking house in SE22 so

> have a passing interest.

>

> What do people want to see in new buildings? Same

> old style?

I only have a medium flat but if I had money i'd care more about internal and external space than what it looks from outside - as long as it isn't going to fall apart (is that utilitarian?).

Repeating myself from another thread here: I'm not a huge fan of the brick mix, but a bit of weathering, the efflorescence will disappear, a few trees out front, I don't think it will be a big deal. For true comparative awfulness, see the Dunstans Road 'creation'.

And to echo someone above, most bog standard loft conversions look pretty crap plonked on top of every other house around here (with their fake cheapo slates, oversized plastic white fascia boards, white uPVC windows, no attempt to conceal the outrigger roof run-off angle so they all look wonky) - and most people can't escape looking at those from their back gardens.