Fox thread

Report him to the RSPCA if you have evidence he is using poison. The poison could also kill other wildlife or domestic animals. Most foxes are scared of dogs so I find it hard to believe that the mother "growled" at his dog! We have a fox family nearby and when my cat goes out in the garden they run off.

It looks to be illegal to use poison - government advice is a bit vague, the fox project (not a national charity) has some advice

http://foxproject.org.uk/foxes-and-the-law/

Pesticides Act 1998 ? although superseded and legislation now included under a variety of acts, pesticides and poisons must, by law, be used strictly in accordance with the instructions on the product. No poison may legally be used on foxes and anyone found to be in contravention ? deliberately or by neglect ? will certainly be prosecuted.

Report it

If you think a wildlife crime is being committed then you can report it to the Police Wildlife Crime Unit online or by calling 101. [good luck with that!]

You can also report wildlife crime anonymously to Crimestoppers, by calling calling 0800 555 111.

Website link:

https://www.met.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/wc/wildlife-crime/what-is-wildlife-crime/

There was a telly programme, maybe the one show, that followed a paid trapper in London who was paid to catch foxes being a nuisance and then let them go elsewhere. The chap loved them. Another professional trapper shoots them, where push comes to shove, but don't see any argument for that. Found that in the Sun.....

It is legal to shoot foxes in urban areas, I think you need a permit though. A friend had to do it to get rid of an issue in their garden. AFAIK poisoning is illegal and it's certainly cruel.

I could do with reducing the number of foxes using our garden as a toilet, but it's not clear how effective killing them is since there are loads of them all over the place and some will come to take over their vacant territory.

A better solution for me would be to find the arsehole who feeds them cat food (the foxes mysteriously drag the boxes into our garden). I would think shooting this person would be a better alternative.

Hsve a chat with the London Wildlife Protection organisation. If he is intent on killing them, they may be able to offer to trap and relocate them. That might be the only way to reason with him sadly. They would also know the law of what is permitted and the RSPCA are the best organisation for prosecuting animal cruelty (if not the best organisation for animal rescue).

https://www.londonwildlifeprotection.org/

And let him know asap that they can do that (if they say they can) so that he gives them the chance to get them and relocate them.

garages2018 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> -----PEOPLE as FOXES lived in the country

> side-------

Oh dear another insufferable ignoramus. East Dulwich and Dulwich used to be rural countryside. There is never any need for animal cruelty, there are plenty of ways to fox proof your garden.

I grew up on a farm that my parents still own. Even in the countryside, there is no need for animal cruelty. Foxes are a pest to chickens, so country folk build cages that protect them at night. Shooting a fox family in an urban area because they simply annoy you is unforgivable. There is always another way, hence my link to an organisation that can trap and relocate the fox family if necessary.

Edited to add; The success of urban foxes is entirely down to the available of food vs diminishing country hedgerows. As a child, I learned to shoot a shotgun to deter wildlife threat to the livestock my family reared, but we never shot anything dead. There is always a way to protect wildlife and close off their access to livestock. Country people know this better than anyone. Being humane is easy. Being an impatient urban tw@t however.....

Hello, why is it people think they are the only ones good enough to live on this planet, Anyway, the foxes -IF they are aggressive, which I find doubtful, will only be reacting like this because they have cubs or are frightened, it is highly unlikely they will attack a child, and they are afraid of dogs and people, foxes also keep down the rat and rodent population, poisoning them is illegal and carries a ?5000.00 fine and up to 6 months in prison apart from the fact its a disgraceful, cowardly, dangerous thing to do, you can get them relocated, but when one family move out another is likely to move in, there are plenty of products available from pet stores and on line that will deter foxes from entering your garden, and for the sake of good neighbourliness people who do not want rural wildlife near them should perhaps talk to the neighbours with a view to controlling the path the foxes take, by fair mean not foul. and who they hell would want to live in a sterile, rural wildlife free world with only a poisoner for a neighbour. The police and Wildlife Protection (police div) have been informed of this situation so any correspondence/threats or decisions should be passed on to them asap.

Foxes pose NO danger to People.. Cats and dogs.

I feed 'OUR' local Foxes. They wait outside my house. They Used to wait for me to come home from the Pub

with Fried Chicken. Chicken shop closed down now.

I have seen Cats steal the food I put out. The Foxes sit back. Foxes are afraid of Cats.

They are mostly timid creatures.

I hope that anyone with any intention to Shoot Foxes is brought to justice.

DulwichFox

I?d raise a concern about proximity of shooting to yours and others? gardens with Council and ask them to clarify the restrictions.

I sometimes on bit of land outside London and when I shoot .22 or .144 (I think !), I have to be 50m or further away from the roadside or any adjoining property and must shoot away from those areas. I?m not saying I know the law, nor that country v city laws are the same, but it seems strange that in a built up city someone can legally pull out a gun and start shooting animals - what about neighbours? (and their pets?) safety ?

Might be worth looking into, apols if you?ve already done this or it?s covered already above.

Lol... Foxes are not aggressive. They're mischievious. But aggressive? No. They do not pose a threat to cats {rather the opposite!}, let alone dogs {see https://www.facebook.com/catsandfoxestogether/posts/121941239350796 endless videos of cats chasing foxes} & can be quite beneficial in controlling & preventing rodent infestation - though this depends on whether or not they feel like preying on mammals - they are omnivorous; content on a diet of berries, nuts & seeds, fruits & vegaetables. Birds, fish & insects.

I agree with 1921. Contact The Fox Project @ http://foxproject.org.uk/

Please keep us updated!

Heather {The Wingless Bird}

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Foxes pose NO danger to People.. Cats and dogs.

>

> I feed 'OUR' local Foxes. They wait outside my

> house. They Used to wait for me to come home from

> the Pub

> with Fried Chicken. Chicken shop closed down now.

>

> > DulwichFox

One should not feed chicken bones to foxes or dogs. Choking risk!

Trinnydad Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Foxes pose NO danger to People.. Cats and dogs.

> >

> > I feed 'OUR' local Foxes. They wait outside my

> > house. They Used to wait for me to come home

> from

> > the Pub

> > with Fried Chicken. Chicken shop closed down

> now.

> >

> > > DulwichFox

>

One should not feed chicken bones to foxes or

dogs. Choking risk!

Foxes have been known to kill Chickens.. and eat them raw.

So do these chickens not have bones..??

The chicken I give to Foxes is cooked and the bones are soft and chewable .

DulwichFox

Cooked chicken bones are brittle and can get stuck in throat that's why they shouldn't be given to Foxes uncooked is fine

It's terrible people wanting to harm animals just shows what nasty people they are thinking there so once anything

Else on the planet and shooting Foxes while they have cubs is illegal and they will be fined so if anything happens call authority

Evil people

Chances are if you disturb where they are often

few times a day whatever, they will naturally re locate.

had a big boy live in one of my garages for sometime, as we never went in for months,

soon as we found him, we were in there every day, he soon went.

Foxes are indeed a pain in the arse and although i have never harmed or tried to harm any of them that muck up my garden, id be lying if i didnt say i had not considered it. Its interesting how foxes are not considered to be vermin and actively discouraged by the council, and steps taken to eradicate them.