We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.stevenvaughan.co.uk

http://www.ellyallen.com/

http://avakitchens.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
messageBike shed/hangar in Lordship Lane - looking for people to apply with me.
Posted by LumpenProle May 17, 02:53PM

Hi Fellow cyclists.
I live on Lordship Lane near Dulwich library. I am looking for 4 people who want a place to securely park their bikes and will join me in making an application to the council for a bike shed. Please either reply to this post or pm me

messageRe: Bike shed/hangar in Lordship Lane - looking for people to apply with me.
Posted by bels123 May 18, 11:43AM

I think some were approved recently, might be worth checking with your local councillor?

messageRe: Bike shed/hangar in Lordship Lane - looking for people to apply with me.
Posted by LumpenProle May 23, 05:40AM

Hi, thanks for the advice.

Posted by Sally Eva May 24, 07:06AM

Southwark Cyclists is the local group of the London Cycling Campaign. They did a lot of work on bike parking and the main campaigner wrote this which might be useful

[southwarkcyclists.org.uk]

Posted by Commuter12 May 24, 12:10PM

Hi lumpen,

2 of us here near the library on LL who are looking to get bikes very soon & would really value a hangar/shed What are the next steps ?

Posted by sand12 May 25, 03:46PM

There is a barely used bike shed on Landells road directly opposite from the plough home craft diy shop and bus stop. I think it was put in less than a year ago. You should be able to get access to it if you call the council. I never see more than 1-2 bikes in there.

Posted by Lordship_local May 26, 02:43PM

Sorry Lumpen, I'm too far from you to join your campaign - though I have requested some more around East Dulwich road.

Does anyone happen to know if/when we are getting more installed? There is a waiting list over two years long for the ones near me... Rather frustratingly, when I was chatting to someone using the sheds near my flat, I was told that the one he used (with a two year wait) had spaces that weren't used at all!

Edit: You can check which hangers have spaces here: [www.cyclehoop.rentals]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was may 26, 02:59pm by Lordship_local.

Posted by Sally Eva May 27, 09:27AM

This is a how-to guide [southwarkcyclists.org.uk] unfortunately a bit old now.

Tell your councillor and start a petition

Sally

Posted by LumpenProle May 29, 05:35PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. We are up to 4 people and 6 bikes . Commuter 12, I PM'd you.

Posted by feefifofum May 31, 09:27AM

We definitely need more of these!
I've put my name down for one or two as they pop up or if I walk by them and they seem half-empty.
I've climbed to second on the list for a space in one - which Cyclehoop tells me means it is likely at least a year away.
I'm 54th on the list for another one, which, at the same rate, means a 27-year wait!

Posted by Blueskye May 31, 10:42AM

From what I could establish a lot of the lockers are run by cycle hoop. The website shows they are all full with waiting lists at the moment.

I emailed the councillor a few weeks back asking they buy a few more. Whilst polite, his response suggested they would not be willing to buy more due to the cost.

I hope they change their position to ensure more of us can safely commute and avoid pressures on public transport whilst getting exercise.

Posted by sand12 May 31, 10:23PM

Iím a bit confused and would appreciate some clarification. The one on Landells a Road has never been full used since it was placed there. So, who is taking up the spots in these sheds and not using them (whilst still paying the rental?) and who collects the money the council or cycle hoop?

Sorry, Iím completely uninformed except from seeing this pop up a while ago on the road. I never see anyone using it or more than I bike in it.

Curious to learn who is getting the money and why the space isnít used.

Lockdown doesnít explain the lack of use prior. It would be interesting to see if anyone on the forum knows of anyone using this shed or not.

Are people who donít live local to ED use it to get to the bus stop at the library? Iíve seen some commuters using the roads around the bus stop as a park and ride because of this, but I donít know what the deal is with the bike shed.

Have no objections to it, except it is underused and looks like there is demand for it from local residents. It would be sensible if perhaps people who live near the sheds were given priority?

Hope to see more of these around but, make them a bit more cheerful perhaps and free. The one I see is an army green tin can monstrosity.

Posted by KidKruger Yesterday, 08:07AM

I thought the sheds are commissioned for immediate local residents (local council tax payers), not commuters.

Posted by Sally Eva Yesterday, 09:02AM

You pay for them by the year (£40) so presumably when they are full, they are full for the year.

Posted by Lordship_local Yesterday, 10:09PM

Its closer to £70 for the (first) year if you include the deposit.

Frustrating that they seem so under utilised. I wouldn't mind too much if the bikes were kept in there despite never being used, but to walk past empty racks whilst knowing the waiting list is years long is aggravating.

Does anyone have any other practical solutions to lack of bike storage?

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum