Bike shed/hangar in Lordship Lane - looking for people to apply with me.

Hi Fellow cyclists.

I live on Lordship Lane near Dulwich library. I am looking for 4 people who want a place to securely park their bikes and will join me in making an application to the council for a bike shed. Please either reply to this post or pm me

There is a barely used bike shed on Landells road directly opposite from the plough home craft diy shop and bus stop. I think it was put in less than a year ago. You should be able to get access to it if you call the council. I never see more than 1-2 bikes in there.

Sorry Lumpen, I'm too far from you to join your campaign - though I have requested some more around East Dulwich road.

Does anyone happen to know if/when we are getting more installed? There is a waiting list over two years long for the ones near me... Rather frustratingly, when I was chatting to someone using the sheds near my flat, I was told that the one he used (with a two year wait) had spaces that weren't used at all!

Edit: You can check which hangers have spaces here: https://www.cyclehoop.rentals/

We definitely need more of these!

I've put my name down for one or two as they pop up or if I walk by them and they seem half-empty.

I've climbed to second on the list for a space in one - which Cyclehoop tells me means it is likely at least a year away.

I'm 54th on the list for another one, which, at the same rate, means a 27-year wait!

From what I could establish a lot of the lockers are run by cycle hoop. The website shows they are all full with waiting lists at the moment.

I emailed the councillor a few weeks back asking they buy a few more. Whilst polite, his response suggested they would not be willing to buy more due to the cost.

I hope they change their position to ensure more of us can safely commute and avoid pressures on public transport whilst getting exercise.

I?m a bit confused and would appreciate some clarification. The one on Landells a Road has never been full used since it was placed there. So, who is taking up the spots in these sheds and not using them (whilst still paying the rental?) and who collects the money the council or cycle hoop?

Sorry, I?m completely uninformed except from seeing this pop up a while ago on the road. I never see anyone using it or more than I bike in it.

Curious to learn who is getting the money and why the space isn?t used.

Lockdown doesn?t explain the lack of use prior. It would be interesting to see if anyone on the forum knows of anyone using this shed or not.

Are people who don?t live local to ED use it to get to the bus stop at the library? I?ve seen some commuters using the roads around the bus stop as a park and ride because of this, but I don?t know what the deal is with the bike shed.

Have no objections to it, except it is underused and looks like there is demand for it from local residents. It would be sensible if perhaps people who live near the sheds were given priority?

Hope to see more of these around but, make them a bit more cheerful perhaps and free. The one I see is an army green tin can monstrosity.

Its closer to ?70 for the (first) year if you include the deposit.

Frustrating that they seem so under utilised. I wouldn't mind too much if the bikes were kept in there despite never being used, but to walk past empty racks whilst knowing the waiting list is years long is aggravating.

Does anyone have any other practical solutions to lack of bike storage?

Lots are under utilised - one on our road has 2 empty spaces but when I emailed Cycle Hoop they confirmed they do not monitor usage, so if someone pays for the year they have the space for the year, even if they move away or sell their bike for example. I really feel there should be more monitoring by Cycle Hoop but not sure how we would put pressure on / change their mind so they took this action.

I have had 2 spaces on various road lists for 18 months and still 67 on my road and 17 is the highest up I am on a nearby road.

I wonder if the council might be more prepared to install some cycle stands like this one as they take up less space and can be easily mounted on the pavement: https://www.thebikestoragecompany.co.uk/product/the-sheffield-cycle-stand-galvanised/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8df2BRA3EiwAvfZWaH9Ebmu4AC3IRf_DNweOTO5bHWA1O4hSNk0iQBcjS6_fl8_u_xJNzRoCga8QAvD_BwE

I'd definitely be up for a petition.. we have some great local councillors who I am sure we could persuade to be supportive, along with Helen Hayes MP who is very very proactive in many ways on different issues. We also have the fab Caroline Pidgeon Lib Dem rep living in the area and other famous bods like Jenny Eclair, Cathy Newman from Ch4 news and others, I wonder if we could get support on social media too :)

We have one near us on Oakhurst Road which at the start was full and had a huge waiting list to get a spot. It unfortunately has been broken into twice in the last 8 months, all the decent bikes were stolen so it now sits empty (aside from my rusty bike which the thieves weren?t interested in!)

Hi all,

The council pays around ?5000 to install each hanger. The rental fee goes to CycleHoop and pays for the hangar's maintenance.

There is high demand for the hangars across East Dulwich. Every year a number are approved from Southwark's central pot and also from our devolved Goose Green pot - we agreed 4 new ones for this financial year. It is a real challenge getting more up due to

- capacity issues in the implementation timeline

- lack of funds

- concerns over lack of parking spaces

But this is an issue that I feel quite strongly about and I am doing what I can to get more cycle hangars installed across Goose Green.

My advice for the moment is to make sure you and your neighbours are signed up on the Cycle Hoop website so we can build the case for why we need more of them!

Best wishes

James

Recent reports of thefts from these cycle hangars do give cause for concern and somewhat dampen the enthusiasm. However, a rather intransigent landlord means the alternative is to simply chain the bike somewhere on the street.

Sim1 and Commuter12, I have PM'd you.

Perhaps the Council can under emergency powers find a way to intervene with Landlords if they are not being reasonable in meeting the needs of cycle owning tenants. Folding cycles are also a great solution as they are easily stored inside the home.