A small plea from a local corona sufferer

Look, I get it. The weather is lovely. You're bored. The kids are bored. So you all go out in the garden and play music/do DIY/pressure wash the patio/play noisy games with the little'uns.

But somewhere near you, there's probably some poor sod feeling like death due to suspected corona, who's been banished to their room and their room alone for a week to prevent infecting their housemates. They're stir crazy from having been trapped between the same four walls for days. They're feverish and everything hurts. They feel dizzy and shakey even when lying down. They can't even get hold of a blimmin' home testing kit because the government's incompetency. They just want to sleep as much as possible.

Please bear this in mind and try and be considerate about noise volume whilst you're outside - especially in the mornings before 10am. Not saying you have to take a vow of silence, but that thing involving cutting wood with a saw, that game involving multiple kids shouting at the top of their voices - at least wait until midday, eh? And maybe give it a rest a day or two per week? Lots of good films on iPlayer at the moment, y'know.

Sorry to hear you're ill - hope you get better soon. This post really made me smile though! People near me are big fans of some very early morning DIY... 7am is not the time to be putting up shelves/ripping out wardrobes.

Hi Sophia, So sorry to hear you're ill! Yes it's easy to forget now that things seem to have turned a corner generally (let's hope this is indeed true), that some people are still unwell and we need to be considerate.

Hope you get some peace and rest, and will soon be feeling much better, take care, J :-)

I feel for you as I have not been ill but workmen turn up outside next door at 7.30am and talk to each other in loud voices. They have a radio blaring out most days too on top of the power tools. They have NO respect either that or they have NO brains.....

Once the weather warms up some people do like loud, pumpin?, floor shakin? bass to accompany whatever they are doing in the garden. A party once in a while is ok but weekday...really?! Everyone needs to be a bit more sensitive and considerate and, oh, why not purchase some high quality earphones? That way you can ?party? all night and even all day but the rest of us don?t have to listen to it. And people like Sophia have the best chance if recovery. Loud music/ noise, especially bass noise has a negative impact on the immune system.

The whole raison d'etre of loud music and those massive bass speakers etc is so that EVERYONE can hear it and your windows will rattle, so I doubt if these noisy people will go for the 'silent disco' option.

Yes noise is stressful and stress plays havoc with the immune system

In addition to poorly people, no one seems to consider that a lot of Kings staff (who may have just finished gruelling night shifts) live in the area. Everyone's happy to clap for 5 mins but not everyone seems able to consider these amazing, selfless, hard working neighbours when they're pissing it up in their garden!!

Again,. it just boils down to consideration doesn't it? When we last did noisy DIY, we liaised with our neighbours to find time slots that least impacted them. One had just had a new baby, the other worked shifts. It was not hard to do and we were able to find times when both were out. We even were given some nice wine for our consideration, and then invited them round to drink it :D. Life is much better when you get along with people, it really is.

We've had a loft conversion being banged in opposite us over the past week or so, nearly 12 hours a day of sawing, banging and drilling - but' hey, this is East Dulwich, we've got to have our new lofts and extended kitchens whatever's going on in the world!

Stay safe, stay sane!

Sorry so you want children to be quiet until midday so you can rest? I'm sorry you've been unwell but that is ridiculous. Some people like to get up early and start their day. Others like to lie in. If you are someone who can sleep past 7 or 8am (unusual) then you need to find a way to manage that without expecting others to be quiet until midday!

amylamontfitness Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry so you want children to be quiet until

> midday so you can rest? I'm sorry you've been

> unwell but that is ridiculous. Some people like to

> get up early and start their day. Others like to

> lie in. If you are someone who can sleep past 7 or

> 8am (unusual) then you need to find a way to

> manage that without expecting others to be quiet

> until midday!

Sod those who work shifts which mean they can't have the stereotypical middle class ED life where they can get up and do things around the house before 8am.

All she's asking for is consideration when doing activities during the day.

No not sod those who work shifts but consideration works in all directions. You can't switch a Baby's volume off until midday. People make noise at all times of day and night and we live in a built up area where you hear it. It's fair to ask for consideration but this request was about editing volume until midday. I think that is unrealistic - why that is now about a stereotypical middle class life is not the issue.

amylamontfitness Wrote:

You can't switch a Baby's volume off until midday.

The OP mentions nothing about muting a baby's volume until midday. You can however lower your child's volume down until midday & should do so as a responsible parent. Teach your kids how to be more considerate. There is no better time like the present.

As I already said consideration works both ways. Yes you should teach your kids to be considerate but kids making some noise is entirely natural. I am out of this conversation because it's getting ridiculous but if you live in a build up area then other people's noise is going to happen at all times of night and day.

A baby crying is a totally separate issue but, for the most part, the level and duration of noise is generally possible to control and that includes young children, who can be asked and taught to play quietly at times. There will obviously be exceptions but they are just that, not the rule.

I was under the impression that people are trying to work from home as well- I know we are....if your kids get up early get them ready and take them out for their daily exercise after breakfast- wear them out a bit, come home and then do the quiet stuff

And as for loud music- those who do that are just morons imo and there's no reasoning with them

Don't know where abouts you are, Sophia Sophia, but if you are anywhere near the Crystal Palace Road area near The Actress, you have my deepest sympathies if you are still ill in bed.

There is a group of people having what sounds like a party in the garden, with possibly the loudest voices I have ever heard (at least no music).

I know it's a bank holiday evening, but also surely we aren't supposed to be having social gatherings in our gardens?

Ah - now music has started up in the other direction. So much for our quiet evening in the garden communing with the frogs.

Signed, Grumpy Old Woman 😬

Basically, before making loud noise, consider what time it is, how long you're gonna make noise for and how loud you're gonna make it. Then imagine all your neighbours are home and how what you're about to do might affect them.

It may affect your intentions for that day !

The OP says they have housemates, which suggests they are quite young. Its unusual for someone presumably in their 20's or 30's to whinge about low level outside noise, wonder what theyll be like once they are in their 60's!

My sleep is disturbed each morning before 9am by some building works near me. I just have to close my window, and its largely solves the problem.

SnakeFilth Wrote:

> The OP says they have housemates, which suggests

> they are quite young. Its unusual for someone

> presumably in their 20's or 30's to whinge about

> low level outside noise, wonder what theyll be

> like once they are in their 60's!

>

> My sleep is disturbed each morning before 9am by

> some building works near me. I just have to close

> my window, and its largely solves the problem.

Noise from building works is completely different, as it is unavoidable.

The OP is ill. Pretty ill by her description of her symptoms. Her age is completely irrelevant.

She is not talking about "low level" noise. Read her post.

Have some sympathy, FFS.