Incidents on Peckham Rye

Hi all.

Just thought I?d make you aware that on Monday and Tuesday I was harassed twice by the same guy whilst sitting on Peckham Rye park. The first incident on Monday Afternoon I was sat in an area around the Sexby Gardens lying down doing some work. I looked behind me and a man was looking over me wearing a black face mask, black beanie, black hoody, black leather gloves and dark jeans. He swiftly walked away when I noticed him but returned twice until I said he was bothering me. Initially I obviously thought he was looking to steal my phone so had swiftly put it away somewhere safe.

Yesterday at around 11.30am I was sitting in the open area opposite Harris Boys when the same man comes charging into me from behind knocking me and falling flat in front of me. Nothing was stolen but when I confronted him he got fairly aggressive. A few women witnessed this and were really lovely and checked if I was ok. I have reported suspicious behaviour to Peckham police and tried to get hold of the park warden but with no luck.

Just wanted to flag on here so people are aware of this man potentially scoping out people by themselves and looking for targets. He looks fairly intimidating dressed all in black with the face mask and beanie and gloves so quite noticeable. He looks quite young, maybe early twenties, black, and is around 6ft.

If i had witnessed this he would be leaving in an emergency services vehicle, but would be going to Kings rather than the nearest cop shop. I do not understand why people stand by and do nothing when these incidents occur, this man clearly needs a bit of a kicking to keep him in line.

PnB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If i had witnessed this he would be leaving in an

> emergency services vehicle, but would be going to

> Kings rather than the nearest cop shop. I do not

> understand why people stand by and do nothing when

> these incidents occur, this man clearly needs a

> bit of a kicking to keep him in line.

Those were the days- the deterrent of a kicking IN the cop shop!!

seenbeen Wrote:

> PnB Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If i had witnessed this he would be leaving in

> an

> > emergency services vehicle, but would be going

> to

> > Kings rather than the nearest cop shop. I do

> not

> > understand why people stand by and do nothing

> when

> > these incidents occur, this man clearly needs a

> > bit of a kicking to keep him in line.

>

> Those were the days- the deterrent of a kicking IN

> the cop shop!!

It was in the Black Maria in Swansea :)

• 9 months later...

My daughter and her friend were approached yesterday (27/02/21) at 1745 by a man in Peckham Rye Park. They were sitting on a log chatting near the edge of the park adjacent to Harris boys. Before they had a chance to realise he was heading for them very quickly he was stood right in front of them ( they were seated on a log). He then told them not to move and to be very quiet. He removed his backpack and took out a bike D lock which he threw on the ground in front of them. Then he started to rant about black slavery and called them names like little white bitches and worse. He stood very close, the girls felt very threatened and froze not sure what he would do if they were to try and get up and run. My daughter tried very hard to make eye contact with a couple with a small child on a bike passing by but they failed to recognise the girls were in distress. My daughters friend started crying uncontrollably then the man told them they could go the whole situation lasted a couple of minutes. They got up and ran towards the bottom of Barry Rd till they were sure he wasn't following and rang 999. Unfortunately after 1 hr the police still had not showed up. The police have come for statements today.

He is a black man 30ish about 6ft and was wearing jeans and a black hoodie, maybe the same guy as the original post above.

emu Wrote:

> My daughter and her friend were approached

> yesterday (27/02/21) at 1745 by a man in Peckham

> Rye Park. They were sitting on a log chatting near

> the edge of the park adjacent to Harris boys.

> Before they had a chance to realise he was heading

> for them very quickly he was stood right in front

> of them ( they were seated on a log). He then told

> them not to move and to be very quiet. He removed

> his backpack and took out a bike D lock which he

> threw on the ground in front of them. Then he

> started to rant about black slavery and called

> them names like little white bitches and worse. He

> stood very close, the girls felt very threatened

> and froze not sure what he would do if they were

> to try and get up and run. My daughter tried very

> hard to make eye contact with a couple with a

> small child on a bike passing by but they failed

> to recognise the girls were in distress. My

> daughters friend started crying uncontrollably

> then the man told them they could go the whole

> situation lasted a couple of minutes. They got up

> and ran towards the bottom of Barry Rd till they

> were sure he wasn't following and rang 999.

> Unfortunately after 1 hr the police still had not

> showed up. The police have come for statements

> today.

> He is a black man 30ish about 6ft and was wearing

> jeans and a black hoodie, maybe the same guy as

> the original post above.

This incident has been mentioned here:

https://se23.life/t/agressive-person-in-the-peckham-rye-park/17118/7

I ran along the Harris Boys bit of the park perimeter this morning. The only bench I saw was a fallen tree trunk carved into a very nice seat for two. Very isolated from the road and also (by water) from the rest of the park.

Everyone who experienced this has my sympathy. I experienced something similar in Nunhead Cemetery (many years ago and completely different person). The police were very concerned by the danger this person posed to women and girls.

Stay close to others would probably be best advice. And report everything to the police.

SpringTime Wrote:

> Unhinged but still a coward and idiot. I'll call the police if I see the match, dial 999 if a situation is in play, and challenge/disable the individual if appropriate and possible.

Not really very helpful if he has mental health problems. Not sure how it helps using terms like coward and idiot. Inform the authorities as people have. Warn people as people have. Using terms like coward and idiot are emotive and suggest that you have a poor understanding of mental health. Reminds me of my school days when anyone was a bit odd was bullied, rocks thrown at them etc. I suspect many were on the spectrum and things are so much better now at the right interventions and understanding mental health.

Funnily enough these were my first thoughts when I saw this post, and then I recalled I'd come across him a couple of weeks ago. I expect that the authorities will be aware and do their job.

If I see the arsehole treating any female like that in the park or anywhere else they will be going to hospital.. the person is a coward as no men have reported this and why do certain people keep bringing up slavery ? I'm sure that when the slavery that the guy was on about no one that is alive today was alive then I certainly dont know anyone who is over 300 years old. Like SALLY EVA said try and stay close to others and in sight of as many other people as possible...

malumbu Wrote:

> SpringTime Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Unhinged but still a coward and idiot. I'll call

> the police if I see the match, dial 999 if a

> situation is in play, and challenge/disable the

> individual if appropriate and possible.

>

> Not really very helpful if he has mental health

> problems. Not sure how it helps using terms like

> coward and idiot. Inform the authorities as

> people have. Warn people as people have. Using

> terms like coward and idiot are emotive and

> suggest that you have a poor understanding of

> mental health. Reminds me of my school days when

> anyone was a bit odd was bullied, rocks thrown at

> them etc. I suspect many were on the spectrum and

> things are so much better now at the right

> interventions and understanding mental health.

>

> Funnily enough these were my first thoughts when I

> saw this post, and then I recalled I'd come across

> him a couple of weeks ago. I expect that the

> authorities will be aware and do their job.

Good point. We'll all let him go about his business. If it's you and yours at threat and I happen to intervene please remind me to walk the other way.

Wow this thread has moved from 2021 to 1971, with some old testament retribution thrown in and perhaps some casual racism. Beating somebody up who has mental health issues will not solve anything, and makes you the criminal.

It's been reported to the authorities, and looks like this person is already known of. Leave it to them. Share your sympathies with those who have been targeted. Share warnings with others. Keep your views on the direct action you'd take to yourself.

When I spoke about kids in the playground having rocks thrown at them because they were a bit strange (now rightly diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum) how did that help? Perhaps some of you would have been the 'cowards' throwing the stones.

And before you accuse me of being some bleeding heart liberal I have intervened many times, using physical presence, body language and words to calm situations down etc. Just never felt the inclination to set upon someone, either by myself or with others.

I would say someone with mental health problems can still separately be a nasty person as can any member of the population. It's not this thread but the linked threads clicking through that maybe are worrying some (the lady who had her teeth knocked out - although I'm not 100% sure there is a proven link anyone reading this will click through)

There's no call for vigilantism though.

Getting in the position where you have to hit someone - assuming as you or someone else is in immediate danger - is really a personal failure.

Step in and lecture him on his behaviour would be more my idea of success.

sorry, that is an insane statement. Do you really think he is going to rub his chin and say " Mmn, you know what, I think you are right, What was i thinking, breaking that woman's teeth. Thanks for the lecture, now take that" 👊

Was the person in question afro-caribbean? I'm asking as there is an individual in the SE5 area who is clearly suffering from mental health issues who does wander around a lot and can be extremely verbally aggressive and very rude to people - but is also clearly suffering from significant challenging mental health issues too.

ydrmdy Wrote:

> sorry, that is an insane statement. Do you

> really think he is going to rub his chin and say "

> Mmn, you know what, I think you are right, What

> was i thinking, breaking that woman's teeth.

> Thanks for the lecture, now take that" 👊

What would you do ? I suspect many people wouldn't intervene at all or maybe just quietly call for help because they don't thing they can do much ?

Afro is a hair cut. Just say 'black' it's not politically incorrect. Mental health is an interesting issue, as many criminals will have mental health issues. But this chap didn't come over as a psychopath. I'd make a judgment call about how to react, intervening etc. When he walked towards me it was a bit strange but then he veered away. If I'd seen him harassing more vulnerable people then I would have acted differently. As said he will be known to the authorities who would I expect have made an assessment of whether he is a danger to the community and any need for restraint, sectioning and the like.