Warning: Car parts thief operating in East Dulwich area

A catalytic converters was hacked off and stolen from underneath my car this afternoon right outside my home. One of my neighbours' car was targeted as well at the same time. We are both Toyota car owners. This was around 3-3:30 pm today in Landcroft Road /Jennings Road.

Another neighbour in my street who witnessed a team of men in silver Mercedes (probably stolen car) in action from some distance kindly came around immediately to let me know what she saw as well as reporting to the police. Apparently they jacked up our cars and hacked off the catalytic converter in a few minutes and drove off.

We couldn't believe that this happened when we were all at home and didn't notice anything. I just thought I should warn our community, so people can be more?vigilant?and pay attention to suspicious?activity outside the home even during the day.

The cars at most risk are fairly modern hybrids - as their CATs will have been comparatively under-used so that the rare earth minerals etc. used in them will still be in abundance. Which makes them worth more on the scrap market. The older the car (and if they are full petrol) the less value the used CAT is. Which doesn't stop them being stolen, just makes them less desirable when others are available. There was a spate of this in ED pre-lock-down. I suspect the opening up of businesses has meant that the market (buyers) for scrap has also now revived.

I think you are right. As people started moving about more these days and there are more noise outside in general to disguise activity like this. Apparently in Toyota?s case it is second and third-generation Prius models (2004-2009 and 2009-2016 respectively) and second-generation Auris Hybrids (2012-2018) which have been particular targets for thieves. However Toyota's website says "Any car fitted with a catalytic converter could be at risk." We were made aware of this theft and given an option to put a Catloc" on catalytic converter to protect it when we had MOT and service done in January, but opted out... Oh, well. Police said they are going to investigate as there are so many reports on this matter. Whether their investigation actually happens or not, there is no harm to alert my neighbourhood on this as it's happening in broad daylight. Thanks.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The cars at most risk are fairly modern hybrids -

> as their CATs will have been comparatively

> under-used so that the rare earth minerals etc.

> used in them will still be in abundance. Which

> makes them worth more on the scrap market. The

> older the car (and if they are full petrol) the

> less value the used CAT is. Which doesn't stop

> them being stolen, just makes them less desirable

> when others are available. There was a spate of

> this in ED pre-lock-down. I suspect the opening up

> of businesses has meant that the market (buyers)

> for scrap has also now revived.

We were made aware of this theft and given an option to put a Catloc" on catalytic converter to protect it when we had MOT and service done in January, but opted out...

There are reports that such locks (for some car types anyway) can be got round without too much trouble (just more damage to the car when doing it). I don't know if those reports are true - or exactly which types of lock (for which cars) may be more vulnerable - but I wouldn't beat myself up about not having one fitted. All security is about making it too costly/ difficult compared with what else is out there - no security is actually secure 100% if there is a thief out there who wants to steal.

https://kit.honestjohn.co.uk/top-tens/top-10-ways-to-prevent-catalytic-converter-theft/

That's true. It could have happened either way. Thank you.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> We were made aware of this theft and given an

> option to put a Catloc" on catalytic converter to

> protect it when we had MOT and service done in

> January, but opted out...

>

> There are reports that such locks (for some car

> types anyway) can be got round without too much

> trouble (just more damage to the car when doing

> it). I don't know if those reports are true - or

> exactly which types of lock (for which cars) may

> be more vulnerable - but I wouldn't beat myself up

> about not having one fitted. All security is about

> making it too costly/ difficult compared with what

> else is out there - no security is actually secure

> 100% if there is a thief out there who wants to

> steal.

>

> https://kit.honestjohn.co.uk/top-tens/top-10-ways

> -to-prevent-catalytic-converter-theft/

• 3 weeks later...

The catalytic converter was stolen from our Toyota Auris we believe on Saturday 13 June, just across the road from our home in Crystal Palace Road, SE22. It had been cut away from the exhaust system.

A friend told me she had see the gang in action elsewhere in East Dulwich, jacking up a car and cutting out the converter in broad daylight, but she was threatened when she asked what they were doing. She reported the crime and says it has happened to at least five other cars in the area recently. Obviously, a real problem with thieves acting with impunity.

Hi All, I have experience and knowledge from the Motor Industry. They're targeting Japanese cars specifically because the Catalytic Converters are worth allot of money. The most common makes they're going for are Honda, and Toyota followed by Mazda and Mitsubishi. Please all beware and take are. If you have cctv or a garage thats very useful. Please find photo attached of a vehicle the gang in ED are using to perform these operations. I caught this on my cctv when a neighbours CAT was stolen from his Honda Jazz. [sentence removed - Admin].

P.s they're Irish Gypsy travellers.

Irish travellers are Celts, originating from Ireland (often as travelling tin smiths, hence the name 'tinkers') - Gypsy (Romany) travellers almost certainly originate from Northern India (although their 'name' implies a wrongly assumed Egyptian origin). They are entirely different racial and cultural groups. As you appear to have conflated the two, it makes me doubt your identification.

brezzo Wrote:

> We had our cat stolen yesterday afternoon in Herne

> Hill, thieves drivings silver Prius.

>

> Our car is a twenty year old VW Polo, cost of

> repairs considerably greater than the value of the

> car

This has just happened to my 20 year old VW Polo in the Sydenham Sainsbury?s car park. I knew about this type of crime, but thought they were just targeting hybrids made by mainly Japanese car manufacturers. Even though the CAT won?t be worth much I guess it still has value.

• 1 month later...

This happened to my 2012 Toyota Auris this week - middle of the day on Wednesday, bold as brass. Neighbour saw them but didn't realise what she saw at the time. Her partner did run down and they jumped into their van and sped off. Sadly, they got the catalytic converter anyway and the repair bill is ?1020. With insurance excess and loss of no claims, I'm still stuck with a large bill.

From what I can tell from online articles, a 2012 Toyota Auris Hybrid fits exactly into the most at risk vehicle list but I wasn't aware of it as a problem.

Car was parked on Goodrich Road near the primary school. Neighbour did get a reg number which I have passed onto the police in the crime report. Am waiting for local community team to call me back as I'd like more info on the patterns they are seeing locally. Will it just get taken again once repaired? It's been parked in Goodrich Road since I moved here 3 years ago.

I believe catalyst converters, have platignum in them hence

their popularity amongst thieves.

I hope the registration leads to their capture.

Have car alarms still got tremble capacity, my van goes off when something large drives past.

Alas the reg number turned out to be fake plates. My alarm didn't go off - I think they're very skilled at not shaking the cars when they do it. Apparently they target particular models at a time and perfect the art.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...