Person living in car?

On a couple of occasions last week i walked past a car parked on a road in the ED area

Both times i noticed one of the passenger doors was open leaning out to the pavement. The first time i noticed a pair of eyes looking out, assuming it was just someone parking up and getting out of their car, i thought nothing of it.

A couple of days later i was approaching the car parked in the same spot, and made a note to pay more attention to it. The front of it was stuffed full of junk (personal possessions?) and again although i didnt exactly look inside the car, there was definitely a figure in the darkness and a pair of eyes staring out at me as i walked by. Has anyone else noticed this character in the car? If im correct surely this cannot be very hygienic, for example i wonder where this person goes to the toilet? Also, its a bit spooky knowing someone is living there in a car.

i agree its not ideal for them or anyone else to be living in a car. I wondered if anyone else had noticed and if they thought the same as me.

If i notice the person is still there maybe ill put some food or a pint of beer from the pub beside the car. Im not going within 2 metres of the person, and the reason i thought it was spooky as the car is in complete darkness and all i can see is a pair of eyes staring out of the crack between the door and car frame right at me as i walk by, im sorry but its a bit unsettling!

Yeah I've seen and mentioned to missus.

They're keeping themselves to themselves and I've not interfered as they probably need leaving alone. It occurred to me it could be someone who's self-isolating from a small accommodation originally.

From what I've seen they seem to be around evenings mainly. I'm assuming they wouldn't be doing this unless they had to and that it's probably associated with current situation in some way.

Either way I didn't mention on here (especially location) as I didn't want to draw attention to them.

I don't smell poo there so no immediate hygiene issue IMO.

And they've chosen a quiet and shaded part of the road out of everyone's way.

Cute little fairy lights hanging in back of car (where they're sleeping) the other night !

SnakeFilth Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i thought it was spooky as the car is in

> complete darkness and all i can see is a pair of

> eyes staring out of the crack between the door and

> car frame right at me as i walk by, im sorry but

> its a bit unsettling!

If it's any consolation, whoever was in there was probably thinking exactly the same about you - wondering if it was the police come to ask them questions or a vandal looking to put the windscreen through.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-52256245

There was a second BBC article which I can't find now about the number of people forced out of lets, temporary accommodation etc or who could no longer afford rent due to furlough and were trying their best to live in cars. Most of the time (under normal circumstances) you can get away with it if you move around regularly; you can use gyms / leisure centres etc for showering and cafes / libraries etc for going to the toilet but that's not an option at the moment. Also there's much less traffic around so unusual cars or people parked in areas where normally they wouldn't be noticed (like a gym or shopping centre) suddenly stick out a lot more.

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/finding-a-new-home/advice-about-homelessness?chapter=9 (info and a link to the Streetlink website)

Edit: worth noting before you go in there with calling the council etc (however well meaning) that the person is probably doing their best to AVOID being noticed or interacting with people too much.

This is so sad. Can a moderator please whip away the details of their location so not to bring unwanted attention? There's a lot of unfair speculation when in reality any one of us could find ourselves in a similar situation, so as macutd has already said, please try to put yourselves in their shoes...

I'll make an attempt to help them this evening, but they may just wish to be left alone & we need to respect their wishes {& privacy!}

Heather {The Wingless Bird}

EDIT: Thanks, Snake!

I work with the homeless and the disadvantage and I'm afraid this kind of thing is a fact of life. Obviously the bourgeoisie, entitled of ED are unaware of how the other half live. There are going to be far more people thrown into this situation by no fault of their by end of this crisis. So sorry to hear you were spooked and unsettled SnakeFilth by someone minding their own business, trying to take some shelter in the comfort of his own car. May I suggest you take a different route so you are not spooked and unsettled. Put yourself in their shoes because I for one know if I was in that situation I would be spooked and unsettled. If you are not able to offer this person some practical help and support, I suggest you leave them well alone before they are hounded from this location.

"..Obviously the bourgeoisie, entitled of ED are unaware of how the other half live"

Obviously you're talking out of your arse with generalisations like that.

Not sure your 'point' is gonna be heard when insulting local people you know nothing about.

jclarke - looks like you're in a position to not only advise the "bourgeoisie, entitled of ED, how unaware they are of how the other half live", but also you have spare accommodations you could let the homeless unfortunates use until the AirBNB market picks up again.

Unless you were just 'advertising for a friend'..

Chick Wrote:

> Talk about bourgeoise:

>

> https://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?

> 30,1961260,1961260#msg-1961260

jclarke Wrote:

> A bit of a generalisation(as KidKruger replied)to

> assume the person would need or want a pint of

> beer from the pub. Not all homeless people are

> alcoholics and not helpful to feed peoples habits.

Lots of 0% if you don't want alcohol or a 0% G&T or Mojito.

It's the thought that counts

Mind if you find it's a private investigator on the tail you'd be shocked (They do exist as an ex work colleague got followed for weeks by the DWP because he was on the sick - waiting for him to throw his crutch away)