We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

http://www.ellyallen.com/

http://avakitchens.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
messageRe: Traffic barrier - Goodrich Road
Posted by first mate June 23, 05:29PM

Can we deal with Melbourne Grove next, which looks set to be a drop off point for Charter down the line?

Posted by rahrahrah June 24, 12:18PM

Please put a barrier on Heber Road if Goodrich residents don't want one.

Posted by Rockets June 24, 02:50PM

Rahrahrah - it looks as if the school didn't want one - or certainly not where the council wanted to put it. Quite pointed that the council seemingly hadn't consulted the school prior to these plans being drawn up which seems ludicrous to me - and demonstrates the haphazard and knee-jerk approach to these things by our elected representatives.

What do they say about the 6 Ps of planning/performance......winking smiley

Posted by intexasatthe moment June 24, 03:46PM

Right ,so they are de-scoping the scheme .What exactly does "de-scope" mean ?

Posted by first mate June 24, 03:48PM

More than that Rockets, it shows these measures have very little to do with the stated aims.

Posted by rahrahrah June 24, 04:27PM

Rockets Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rahrahrah - it looks as if the school didn't want
> one - or certainly not where the council wanted to
> put it. Quite pointed that the council seemingly
> hadn't consulted the school prior to these plans
> being drawn up which seems ludicrous to me - and
> demonstrates the haphazard and knee-jerk approach
> to these things by our elected representatives.
>
> What do they say about the 6 Ps of
> planning/performance......winking smiley

I certainly wouldn't defend the councils approach to 'healthy streets', or consultation in general.

Posted by first mate June 24, 04:46PM

intexasatthe moment Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Right ,so they are de-scoping the scheme .What
> exactly does "de-scope" mean ?

Fancy ‘council speak’ for back-pedalling, fast?!

Posted by Gubodge June 24, 05:17PM

I would have thought the main issue for the school is the traffic/dodgy parking on Dunstans. The council’s proposal would have probably made that worse, while requiring staff man hours to manage the temporary closure. I’m not surprised they didn’t go for it.

I live on Dunstans and think closure at this end of Goodrich (if at the very end, not at the narrowing) could reduce some of the most dangerous manoeuvres on the roundabout. It’s also likely to reduce traffic slightly, but is likely to funnel most of it down to Underhill instead.

Posted by James_C June 24, 05:49PM

Stop driving your kids to school ? Take the bus and walk (obviously those with disabilities cannot do so and appropriate arrangements should be made). It's madness to be driving your kids to school in a city like this with so much public transport available - the cost of driving not just for your own pocket but for everyone else (environment etc.) is huge !

Posted by Nigello June 24, 08:52PM

Is there space in the schoolyard to allow staff to park, as this would offset the spaces taken away due to the new plans? I bet there’s room for three or four.

Posted by Jacqui5254 June 24, 10:03PM

So, they are going to block off Goodrich Road where it meets Dunstans "to tackle the issue of HGVs using the narrow road" now?

I thought this was about the school?

As this small section of road is completely full with the over-spill of residents parking every evening [since the extended double-yellows reduced spaces on Dunstans and others], we will not be driving round and round looking for a space but driving in and reversing out of this blocked-off piece of road. And so will other vehicles. Right outside the school. Which doesn't "improve air quality by restricting vehicle movement".
Sigh.

Posted by fishboy June 30, 11:13PM

Rockets - it wasn't that the school didn't want a temporary barrier, it's just that they don't have the surplus staff to operate it.

Nigello - the "schoolyard" is actually one of two relatively small playgrounds, both of which are vital areas for the kids to, er, play...

The issue is, and always has been, the level of traffic around the school, particularly at drop off & pick up times when the majority of the families are walking / scooting / cycling to school. I think the council's plan is to make parking / stopping such a pain that people will stop doing it. The extended double yellows didn't work (there were already dropped kerbs there that it is an offence to obstruct!) so I guess this is the next step. I think initially there will be chaos until people realise, then we'll see. But it is the careless, thoughtless, selfish few who insist on parking / stopping / dropping wherever they want, with zero consideration for others, who will continue to do it irrespective of any action. Only policing & fines will have any effect on them...

Posted by Rockets June 30, 11:36PM

Fishboy, not entirely correct - it’s pretty clear what the council relayed to residents about the school’s thoughts on their suggestions...

“Following further discussions, we have decided to de-scope the proposed scheme in order to ensure access is maintained at all times to residents. We did approach the school about a potential timed closure operated at one or both of the junctions, however they felt it would not address the main issues they’d raised and that they did not have the necessary resources in order to be able to operate the barriers in the morning and afternoon.”

They felt it would not address the main issues they’d raised. I read that as the school had relayed their wishes and what the council suggested in return didn’t work for them.

Your point about people dropping children at school is a valid one and this doesn’t fix that, it just creates drop points elsewhere. The council sends traffic wardens and CCTV cars to sit outside many schools, have they sent any to Goodrich to police the school drop time?

Posted by fishboy June 30, 11:51PM

There used to be a CCTV smart car many, many years ago, but I think the council realised they'd make way more money relocating it to Lordship Lane, to penalise unsuspecting charity shop donators parking outside M&S before 10am...

There was a period of a few weeks, maybe six to twelve months ago, when there were occasional visits by traffic wardens and police, but they were so conspicuous that the usual parkers / stoppers spotted them a mile off and just carried on up the road. Also they only seemed to be looking for offences right outside the main gates, rather than the extended double yellows and dropped kerbs by the mini roundabouts.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum