Traffic barrier - Goodrich Road

I read in the Goodrich School newsletter that a new traffic barrier is going to be installed at the junction of Goodrich Road and Upland Road. I?d not heard anything about it from Southwark. Anyone knows anything about it?

Thank you, Spartacus.

I don?t really understand how this will sort out any of local traffic problems. All it means is that parents driving their children to school will be reversing (using residents? dropped kerbs) to avoid a long loop. This will make a dangerous situation even more dangerous.

It?s at Upland and Dunstan?s. It?s narrowed to about 2m just before the Dunstan?s junction. Huge lorries try to squeeze through, having been sent there by GPS, no doubt. The ?school run? accounts for lots of traffic (and choice language). I think being shut at one end is better. Otherwise, how to let residents park? I?ve written to say as such.

Yes, NAL either end, so I questioned this. Dale F said my comments would be passed on to the correct people. It says this section will be for cyclists and pedestrians which seems to exclude and vehicular presence. I think a cul-de-sac would be fairer but the council has the power to do as it likes. NAL blocks look ugly; I?d prefer a planter or barrier with key access for those parking.

I think comments from councillors, etc. are welcomed but the decision is taken by council officials under special powers. This plan says an official visited on 13/05 and decided there was a need for action. The link in the second posting allows you to see this and other plans and there?s an email address for the person in charge.

This is very interesting Goodrich is used as a summer school by Nimble Arts, this will create issues for many parents who need to do multiple childcare picks up. In the summer holidays we have to drive or we would not make the double pick up with our chidlren.

EDAus - Have you considered cycling or scooting to Nimble Arts if you're using it?

You'd be amazed how quickly you can get over there like that - plus a bit of fresh air / exercise does wonders for the kids! We've been scooting or cycling for the past couple of years. there is some bike parking inside the gate too to keep it relatively secure!

goldilocks Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> EDAus - Have you considered cycling or scooting to

> Nimble Arts if you're using it?

>

> You'd be amazed how quickly you can get over

> there like that - plus a bit of fresh air /

> exercise does wonders for the kids! We've been

> scooting or cycling for the past couple of years.

> there is some bike parking inside the gate too to

> keep it relatively secure!

Yes thank you we have considered cycling or scooting - as I said right above given the location of our child care providers plus multiple pick up?s plus the opening / closing times of our childcare providers make it simply not possible for us.

In case you wondering, yes we have also considered one of us giving up our jobs so we can cycle and scoot through the streets but we also like being independent people and role models for our children plus sorry we have to work to support them.

I wish people would recognise just because something works for your family or situation it may not work for others for a wide range of issues such as disabilities, the age of young children, childcare opening times etc.

I don?t think that is what EDAus wrote, or implied. But if he were or is disabled I am shocked you would, without any knowledge of his circumstances, be directing/pressuring him on his chosen mode of transport. It comes across as high-handed and insensitive.

EDAus Wrote:

> This is very interesting Goodrich is used as a

> summer school by Nimble Arts, this will create

> issues for many parents who need to do multiple

> childcare picks up. In the summer holidays we have

> to drive or we would not make the double pick up

> with our chidlren.

You will realise then that Upland Road and Dunstans Road run either side of Goodrich School, and will not be affected by this closure. These roads join to the south of the school, and with Underhill Road to the north - I cannot think of a single car journey through the area that would be increased by more than 1 minute as a result of this closure.

Of course I wasn't....

As above - the entrances to Goodrich school are actually on Dunstans road for Nimble arts - something EDAus will be aware of.

Therefore, they will be a) able to park on Dunstans Road and b) perfectly capable of walking round the corner if a parking spot isn't immediately available and so the 'issues' faced by people needing to drive are hugely overstated!

first mate Wrote:

> I don?t think that is what EDAus wrote, or

> implied. But if he were or is disabled I am

> shocked you would, without any knowledge of his

> circumstances, be directing/pressuring him on his

> chosen mode of transport. It comes across as

> high-handed and insensitive.

But what about the additional through-traffic, which was previously going across Goodrich Road, and which will now be forced to go down either of these 2 roads unnecessarily ?

tas Wrote:

>

> You will realise then that Upland Road and

> Dunstans Road run either side of Goodrich School,

> and will not be affected by this closure. These

> roads join to the south of the school, and with

> Underhill Road to the north - I cannot think of a

> single car journey through the area that would be

> increased by more than 1 minute as a result of

> this closure.

It goes without saying that if he were disabled, it may not be so easy for him to simply ?walk? around the corner and the needs of all drivers are therefore not, as you insist, over-stated.

Please, try to see the light and shade. If people can cycle they probably will, but not everyone can. Try to accept that.

Tas -

Yes I am aware, one side is kept closed for safeguarding purposes. One entrance and one exit.

'I cannot think of a single car journey through the area that would be increased by more than 1 minute as a result of this closure.'

Others might be able to think of some and have a right to raise their concerns.

Goldilocks -

Car spaces will not always be available at peak drop off and pick up times, which is understandable these are local residential streets.

'perfectly capable of walking round the corner' ?

1) You have assumed.

2) Walking is not cycling or scooting which is what was being discussed.

I am not prepared to discuss on an open forum why people in my family cannot safely cycle or scoot, they may wish too but it is simply not possible or safe. It could a wide range of reasons: age, disability, medical guidance etc.

?people needing to drive are hugely overstated!? In your view.

What is fair and reasonable to one person may not be fair or reasonable to another.

Not everyone has empathy, understanding and kindness towards others.

It would be helpful for people to reflect and check their privilege before posting.

I will not responding to any further comments on this thread as I feel it will not be productive.

If you have concerns with any of the proposals email the following people:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected] - our local member of parliament

[email protected] - our London Assembly member

If there is enough through-traffic in the area for that to genuinely be an issue, it definitely shouldn?t be going past a primary school.

Roky Erickson Wrote:

> But what about the additional through-traffic,

> which was previously going across Goodrich Road,

> and which will now be forced to go down either of

> these 2 roads unnecessarily ?

>

I will be fighting the closure of Goodrich Road on both ends as I am one of the houses affected with a highly vulnerable husband who needs weekly services and deliveries. This is a sledge hammer to crack a nut. How are the residents supposed to access emergency services, deliveries, building maintenance, etc?

Goodgirlbadhair, this is appalling I hope that you might receive the support of your neighbours in mounting a challenge. You could also approach James McAsh who should be sympathetic and keen to help. It seems clear that your very present and pressing needs have not been considered at all.

Did the council person who allegedly visited and checked the street in May make contact with you?