Food bin not being emptied

yes this happened to us. I was informed that there are new/temp crew members who are not used to the rounds so we must make sure our bins are in plain sight i.e outside the gate, on the wall, on top of your other bins.Thankfully Ours was collected this week.

I watched them emptying the food bins last week - they tipped them straight in with the garden waste in people's brown bins.

I've said this before, but Veolia in S London doesn't have anaerobic digesters locally suitable for kitchen waste, so its composted with garden waste (as you might do yourself). Southwark knew that, but had the opportunity to charge for garden waste and took it. There's no point in Veolia separating the collection when both types of waste are treated the same. Anaerobic digesters (which produce saleable methane) are ideal for kitchen waste, less so for garden waste. Although plant material can be treated in this way it is normally green material (from farms) and not woody material (more typical of our garden waste, which has comparatively little grass cuttings). Veolia is acting entirely sensibly, as there is no merit for it to separate organic waste. I believe there are plans to introduce appropriate digesters, over time, but until they do, it makes no economic sense for them to separate waste (indeed it adds cost). You are collecting it separately as part of a Southwark money making scheme. It has no additional recycling merit.

It's frustrating because I asked southwark if I could just continue putting food waste into my garden waste bin which I am paying for. I didn't want yet another plastic bin and this is what we all did prior to the paid scheme. They told me no and that it wouldn't be collected if they saw it had food waste in! So I now have 2 separate bins which get emptied into the same recyling truck. It's madness - surely they only needed to provide food bins for people who weren't paying for garden waste, those of us who do pay could continue to use the one bin. Easier for collection too as one bin to empty rather than 2 at each property!

We were told by the bin men that the small brown bin/container was to be used as a temporary bin within the house and that it should be tipped into the big brown bin just prior to the bin men doing the weekly collections.

Makes sense as it saves them handling two bins at every location.

Effra Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We were told by the bin men that the small brown

> bin/container was to be used as a temporary bin

> within the house and that it should be tipped into

> the big brown bin just prior to the bin men doing

> the weekly collections.

>

> Makes sense as it saves them handling two bins at

> every location.

Interesting - as this is exact opposite of what council told me! Makes more sense this way but I was told this was absolutely not allowed!

There are of course three council supplied brown bins - the smallest for use indoors which gets tipped into the next size up outside and then the large one which is for garden waste. Perhaps the bin man Effra spoke to was referring to the two smallest ones. Also, spare a thought for the bin men during the weeks, there are many, when there is no garden waste and they have to dive in to the bottom to collect the bags containing food waste should they be left in the largest size.

Effra Wrote:

> We were told by the bin men that the small brown

> bin/container was to be used as a temporary bin

> within the house and that it should be tipped into

> the big brown bin just prior to the bin men doing

> the weekly collections.

>

> Makes sense as it saves them handling two bins at

> every location.

Do you mean the very large garden waste bins?

Interesting - as this is exact opposite of what council told me! Makes more sense this way but I was told this was absolutely not allowed!

To be charitable, either your council adviser did not know that Veolia could/ would not process kitchen and garden waste separately in SE London, or he is following a script designed to imbue good habits for when it is enabled (if ever).

To be uncharitable, the council doesn't want people questioning their money raising actions so is simply pretending that the two are processed separately.

Take your choice.

There is a link on the Southwark website to report missed collections - I have used it (once only) and they came the next day to pick it up.

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/bins-and-recycling/general-household-waste/report-a-missed-collection

you can also email your local councillor to complain. https://www.southwark.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/councillors-and-mps/your-councillors

I just saw a binman empty a food waste bin into the same bin that he put the garden waste. What is going on?

12 posts above this I describe exactly what's going on. Veolia process food and garden waste together. Southwark required the separation to 'justify' charging for garden waste collection.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> I just saw a binman empty a food waste bin into

> the same bin that he put the garden waste. What is

> going on?

>

> 12 posts above this I describe exactly what's

> going on. Veolia process food and garden waste

> together. Southwark required the separation to

> 'justify' charging for garden waste collection.

The Food waste and Garden waste go in the same Dust Cart so if someone has Garden Waste and Food Waste

then it makes sense to put the Food Waste in the brown bin and tip it in the Cart.

Foxy