Strange flies

Can anyone help me to identify what type of fly has been invading me this afternoon/evening. They aren't houseflies, nor bluebottles. Definitely not flying ants. I have no idea how they're getting in either. As soon as I swat 5 of them another 10 appear from nowhere!

They don't fly around the room they just stay on the windows. My house is always clean and tidy, even more so since the pandemic, so I know they haven't been encouraged in. I just can't fathom them out.

Also, even though I've closed all the windows they are still appearing. Help!

shen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Could there possibly be a dead rodent under the

> floorboards somewhere? Horrible thought but a

> likely cause.

No, downstairs I don't have floorboards, it's concrete. The weird thing is, I decided to stop swatting them to see how many appeared. Although the flies are freaking me out, they seem to die off quickly of their own accord. How weird. Never known anything like it. Guess who won't sleep tonight!!

DulwichFox Wrote:

> There have been so many flies about..

>

> I've been plagued by them..

>

> Not sure what type of flies they are..

>

> Foxy

I've been googling it, pathetic I knoe

Sorry Foxy, sent before I finished "....pathetic, I know. The only thing it came up with that meets the description is Cluster Flies. Never heard of them. They're dying quickly but falling everywhere, even on my hair!!!

fruit flies are easy to tell as they have that shiny colour.

Something big flew around me last night - threw my quilt over it then realised that was really stupid when I couldn't find it - it probably stayed with me all night.

Ruskin Wrote:

> If they're fruit flies (they're tiny and silent)

> then put some vinegar in a small dish and watch

> them perish.

Definitely not fruit flies. These were much bigger.

I think we had these last year. Very annoying, clustered round the lights when they were on. They were around for about a week and then mysteriously disappeared. We also looked them up and thought they must be cluster flies. Definitely not fruit flies (which we also occasionally get if an apple is left out too long) -these were bigger and flew faster than fruit flies. Good luck!

There have been threads about this on here in past years.

I'm sure they will be cluster flies.

Someone on here identified them for me when I had them in my house (haven't had them since, thank goodness!)

Sue Wrote:

> There have been threads about this on here in past

> years.

>

> I'm sure they will be cluster flies.

>

> Someone on here identified them for me when I had

> them in my house (haven't had them since, thank

> goodness!)

I'd never heard of them before Sue. Not very nice as there are so many of them. Hoping the cluster fly spray that I've ordered from Amazon will sort them out.