Parents, please spare a thought for home workers!

Just a call out to parents with younger kids, please remember there are lots of people still working at home, people trying to sleep who have done night shifts and older kids studying at home (it's still term -time....)

It's boiling hot, we've all got to have our windows and doors open so please encourage your children to show some consideration and not scream and shout in the garden! I get it, I've got kids, but take them to the park to really let rip if they need to rather than putting all your neighbours through it!

Seriously? It's a 2 day heatwave, many parents will be working themselves so can't just down tools and go to the park. The children are plodding through months of social isolation and boring monotonous schoolwork delivered by non-professionals (ie their parents) and you're moaning because they're out in the garden having fun?

Put some headphones on or move to a different room.

Not so easy to move to a different room if you have a household of people all working on zoom calls etc.

What if you're a shift worker trying to sleep?

Honestly, if your kids are making a ton of noise, I doubt you can be working yourself so no reason why you can't go to the park.

Have you asked the families annoying you to be quiet or is this a general rant at everyone with kids.

The last few months have been hard on everyone especially kids. Give them a break.

It's a nightmare trying to juggle work and kids specially today when it's hot and for most of East Dulwich also no internet. I would love to let mine run around the park all day but this isn't practical when you are on video calls.

To keep the house cool they actually say keep doors and windows closed and draw the curtains so maybe you should do this to help with the heat and the noise

This post isn't intended as a rant at everyone with kids - I've got 3 kids myself and am also trying to juggle work with home schooling.

My kids also play in our garden.

It was simply a polite request to ask parents to keep an eye (or rather ear) on noise levels. That's all!

I feel bad when my child is loud in the garden and do try to deter them. But equally I need to give them an opportunity to let loose when they have no other outlet in today?s conditions (Especially when the sun is out).

Equally, when the adult neighbours decide to smoke in their garden aggravating my hayfever, or throw a bbq when my laundry is out, or have a party with loud music in the garden past my childs bedtime and effect his sleep - I just sigh and grumble and feel less bad the next time he has a whoop and holler in the garden. This is just London living in my opinion, and if a neighbour is bothering me (within reason) I find it useful to look at my own behaviour and realise no one is perfect.

I think people are being a bit unnecessarily defensive here. The original post just asked people to be considerate, after all. Not too much to ask, surely?

As for 'teachers unions have effectively closed down schools' - what a ridiculous & ill-informed statement. Schools are very much open & setting pupils work.

Kids in garden next door drive me crazy, shrieking and screaming on and off through the day, every day, every fecking day.

But it's kids, and they're playing and having fun and they're actually nice little people from the contact I've had.

Leave the kids alone. Let them have their fun.

Get some headphones, make excuses to your work colleagues on conference calls or Zoom, and remember when you were a kid did you have to remember to keep your gob shut all day long.

I remember my Dad used to banish us kids to the snooker room, at the far end of the house past the orangery, but round here houses are so small as to not present that option to parents.

So you'll just have to live with it.

Next.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I remember my Dad used to banish us kids to the

> snooker room, at the far end of the house past the

> orangery

This reminds me of Jet Set Willy (which is a good thing).

Agree with the rest of your post too. Let kids be kids. Working from home has it's challenges, but this whole thing has probably been harder on them than it has been on us.

Agree with what the poster cordsm said.

My neighbours have been having regular get togethers with their families and children for the past month. Today there were lots of children in the garden mixing and having fun together but they could have been at school.

Yes Clutterqueen. It does make me wonder why, when so many schools are open and teachers have been continually working their @?$%* off throughout, parents continue to keep them home - especially if they don't mind them being around others in parks etc.

WFH for a long time now and it'll be for the foreseeable. No problem with the noise but this heat is too much for me - Looking forward to normal temperatures.

Heat seems to make the whole place look and feel dirty - not sure why.

JohnL Wrote:

> WFH for a long time now and it'll be for the

> foreseeable. No problem with the noise but this

> heat is too much for me - Looking forward to

> normal temperatures.

>

> Heat seems to make the whole place look and feel

> dirty - not sure why.

Ha ha, totally agree with you. Partly the dust and partly certain types who come out in the sun and feel compelled to drop their rubbish all over the place...

tallulah71 Wrote:

> Yes Clutterqueen. It does make me wonder why, when

> so many schools are open and teachers have been

> continually working their @?$%* off throughout,

> parents continue to keep them home - especially if

> they don't mind them being around others in parks

> etc.

Not all children can go back yet. The government announced that Reception, Year 1 and year 6 could go back but only in bubbles of 15, so essentially splitting classes in half. That means those years need double the amount of classrooms to accommodate the new bubbles. They also have to have key-worker?s children in separate bubbles, again taking up further classrooms. So there would not be enough classrooms left to allow other years to come in. Hopefully this may change by September but schools are yet to hear exactly how it would work.

For years people have criticised patents for wrapping their kids in cotton wall, not letting them play outside or walk to school (despite the obvious health benefits)

Now they have been stuck in for months and parents rather than teachers have has their full attention, we seem to be complaining they are outside playing, being a bit noisy and being normal like we all were as kids.

Do we need to wrap adults in cotton wool too now or should we just accept the situation as not ideal but it is what it is ?

I would rather see kids expelling their energy and playing creatively in the garden or park than growing up to be oppressed and scared of the world outside their own front doors !

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> Evidence that it is unions working to keep schools

> closed:

>

>

> 6767206401?s=20

Unions should have a say but not the final say.

I reckon RLB was out of the SKS in crowd a while ago.