We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.veganplates.co.uk

All Round Renovation

http://avakitchens.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
messageRubbish in parks
Posted by Mumofone June 26, 11:45AM

I went for a run this morning in Peckham Rye, and as to be expected the bins were overflowing with lots of rubbish strewn around. I presume the same in Burgess Park and other parks in Southwark.

Whilst the people bringing and leaving rubbish should take responsibility, perhaps the council could make this easier by installing better bins in Public Parks? e.g. larger bins, with lids that stop animals and birds from foraging. It would also be great to have recycling bins in the parks.

Richmond council has just committed to doing this.

This is a problem every summer but will obviously be worse this summer with social distancing advice.

Anyone got any suggestions to get the council to take some action?

Surely this is cheaper in the long run than having that poor man go around the park daily spending hours picking up litter.

messageRe: Rubbish in parks
Posted by JohnL June 26, 12:05PM

We went through a phase where bins had to be clear and you could see what was in them (due to fear of bombs being put in them I think).

Not sure what the current way of thinking is.

Posted by Nigello June 26, 12:39PM

[www.writetothem.com]

Contact your councillors and MP asking for more bins. Also, consider in the meantime picking up a few pieces and throwing them away properly. I do it and Iíve seen others so you wonít look majorly daft!

Posted by ed_pete June 26, 12:52PM

But we also need some of these:
[images.app.goo.gl]

Posted by Nigello June 26, 01:02PM

Yes - writing to the councillor would be a first step, and/or DIY. Direct action (like picking up litter) is needed.

Posted by kiera June 26, 05:38PM

ed_pete Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But we also need some of these:
> [images.app.goo.gl]

Thank you - that's a great poster!

Posted by Nigello June 26, 05:55PM

Print them out and stick on the bins. Iíve no printer so canít. If I did, I would.

Posted by worldwiser June 26, 06:49PM

Those posters are amazing.

Posted by Mumofone June 27, 10:56AM

Thanks all, I have written to the local councillors...not overly ambitious about change. I do already pick up rubbish when I'm out. Interesting to know if the bins are like that for fear of bomb threat.

That York council poster is brilliant.

Posted by KidKruger June 27, 11:22AM

Thought the dog had found a dead mouse in Dulwich Park.
But no, just a loaded tampon.
Iíd have thought if youíre going to remove it in the park, you could walk it to the nearest bin or wrap it in tissue / a crisp packet and dispose of somewhere responsible.
Anyone know under what circumstances this is OK ?

Posted by rachp June 27, 11:36AM

Mumofone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks all, I have written to the local
> councillors...not overly ambitious about change.
> I do already pick up rubbish when I'm out.
> Interesting to know if the bins are like that for
> fear of bomb threat.
>
> That York council poster is brilliant.

I have just written an email to Richard Livingstone who is the lead councillor on this and shared the poster with him as an example. His email address is below if anyone else wants to do the same

richard.livingstone@southwark.gov.uk

Posted by singalto June 27, 12:40PM

KK, that is gross.. There is no Situation where that is ok. The council is so short of money so spending it on more bins seems awful. Why oh why canít people take their rubbish home?

Posted by tiddles June 27, 12:44PM

I used to pick up litter and pop in nearest bin but a)the bins are overflowing and b) I am avoiding touching anything when out!

Posted by fishboy June 30, 11:37PM

Living opposite Peckham Rye Park, I can tell you that most of the rubbish is from the various rowdy groups who seem to think it's fine to have parties / gatherings of way more than six people until gone midnight in the locked park. My family go for a walk there every weekday around 7.30 and the park is a tip. And bearing in mind there are no toilet facilities, I expect there's a lot more been left behind too. I've submitted reports to the Met online several times, but zero response apart from the usual "We've passed it on to the relevant dept" emails.

Anyone else fed up with this inconsiderate behaviour?

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum