Dulwich in the 1970s

I thought it would be fun to find out who lived in this area in the mid 70s to the late 80s and how things have changed in Dulwich I moved to East Dulwich in 1976 and was a very happy time bringing up my children going to the lovely parks and open spaces I lived at the top of Dog Kennel Hill I then moved to st. Francis Road for 3 years and for the final 5 years I lived in Overhill Road Dulwich it was lovely to be near the park the schools were great. We had the Grove Tavern the Magdella pub in Lordship Lane and the East Dulwich Tavern and the Lord Palmerston it used to be buzzing on a Saturday night interested to see how this has all changed

The Grove Tavern is now derelict.

The Magdala became The Magnolia, then (briefly) The Patch. It is now The Lordship.

The Lord Palmerston became The Palmerston, one of London's first gastro pubs,but is currently being boycotted by a number of people due to a rather nasty change of hands.

The EDT is still the EDT 🙂

The parks are still there.

You didn't mention the restaurants, but the Dulwich Tandoori is still there 🙂

Most other things have changed very drastically 🤣

Hi Sue Well I'm imagine there was a lot of changes the magdala was a fabulous place for a night out in the 80s used to have a DJ and lots of parties that followed on from it I must take a trip back to Dulwich Park one day. What about the fox On The Hill that used to be good to take little ones to they used to have a sandpit I remember and play really good music and you could also eat there. I don't remember even going to a restaurant back then when I don't think any of us did. I also loved hornimans and the gardens.

Paddling pool in Peckham Park gone was roughly where the wild flowers are.

Kids used to love the out door pool just passed the Kings Arms.

Shops that Nymbies wdn't even look at all gone. Used to be a Freemans catalogue shop.. and Oh Dickie Dirts .

Lots of parking, usually outside where you lived.

Bandstand in Peckhma Park...

Aviary in Dulwich/

Herne Tavern used too have a covered area for kids to play in and I think there was some play equipment.

in the 60's lordship lane was a gentle street with small shops and

a couple of larger ones

I am sure there was a woolworths, maybe I am mistaken, used to walk the length of it most evenings

and it was quiet after 6 oclock, there used to be a chemist selling loads of lovely fancy makeup

a large shoe shop roughly opposite post office.

lameduck Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> in the 60's lordship lane was a gentle street with

> small shops and

> a couple of larger ones

> I am sure there was a woolworths, maybe I am

> mistaken, used to walk the length of it most

> evenings

> and it was quiet after 6 oclock, there used to be

> a chemist selling loads of lovely fancy makeup

> a large shoe shop roughly opposite post office.

Did not live in East Dulwich in the 60's but went to school in North Dulwich..(William Penn)

There was a Woolworths. I think it was where Foxtons is today..

DulwichFox

Jan15 Wrote:

> Did you mean St John's and st. Clement's school

> has turned into flats how horrible

I've only been into one, but it's beautiful, not horrible at all :)

Jan15 Wrote:

> Has the fox on the hill become an estate agent now

> I can't believe all this is really interesting

The Fox on the Hill is still there, I'm pretty sure.

Where do you live now, Jan15?

I lived in ED from 1950 - 1968 and moved back in 1971 and am still here. Woolworths where Foxons is now.

Toy shop and drapers opposite Co Op. Supermarket - Somerfields where Co Op is.NX Rd had a small market - mainly vegetables, household items, and haberdashery.

Very quiet area - not much to do for young people. My friend and I went to Thomas More's Youth club where picture palace is now.

Oh my how strange! Those weird names for the Magdala! Have I got the right pub!!? Maybe not...corner of Northcross Road? I passed the pub every day from 1946 to....? On my way to St Johns and St Clements CE School.They had two huge brewers dray Carthorses ..pulling a wooden wagon with barrels on it.

A lot of horses and carts, still, then! Lots of horse poo in the roads,my dad collected it when he could ..for our roses. Smell of steaming horses and can remember them chomping their hay from nose bags. I suppose it doesn't look like that now.

I was a bit too young for memories of the 70's, but grew up and went to school in East Dulwich in the 80's, Grove Vale (now called Goose Green).

My Grandparents first moved there in the 50's, bringing up 7 kids.

House still in the family, my parents now live there, Its seen 4 generations.

My memories: a 7eleven (now Superdrug); A toy shop (near the opticians?), Dulwich Tandoori as long as I can remember, and yes there was a Woolworths but maybe thats my dads memory not mine!

I do remember a local policeman being stabbed in a shop on Lordship Lane, he was the husband of our headmistress. He recovered if I recall.

Yes, The Actress was The Uplands Tavern. It was quite rough, although it had a brief time when they tried to bring it a bit upmarket.

It had rooms upstairs. Someone we knew stayed there once, locked himself out, couldn't find anyone to let him in, and had to sleep on my sofa 🤣