Pubs on Saturday 4rh July..(independence day)

Sounds like he's got his head screwed on. There is hope....

ruffers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The pub I chatted to today wants nothing to do

> with this independence day nonsense and will close

> at 8 to avoid trouble.

>

> "Ludicrous idea to do this on a Saturday."

I hammer Wrote:

> Does anyone know what time the Bishop closes on

> Sat night....will it be usual 2am?

Victoria Inn is it's sister pub and isn't open until Monday - Bishop has nothing on it's website or facebook page about opening. I won't mention twitter :)

Victoria Inn : "We are thrilled to announce that we will be reopening on Monday 6th July. We have put a number of steps in place to ensure the safety of our guests and teams. For the time being, we request our guests make a booking before visiting so that we can maintain safe distancing in the pub. We will be operating table service only and will not be able to accommodate standing drinkers at the bar."

nxjen Wrote:

> I thought The Actress was it?s sister pub, you

> know, as in The Bishop said to ...

Actress Bishop Rye Victoria Florence are all Metropolitan Pub Company - although some in that group branched out to become the City Pub Company a while ago. I wish I didn't hang round pub websites so often :)

https://www.metropolitanpubcompany.com/

https://www.citypubcompany.com/

Bishop/Actress/Florence/Victoria/etc were all part of Scott Collin's little empire back in the day, before selling and starting Meat Liquor (what I wouldn't give for even one fifth of that business sense.. sigh..).

Now they're all part of Greene King (Metropolitan is just a sub-brand, maybe trying to keep a little bit of that indie vibe).

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> Bishop/Actress/Florence/Victoria/etc were all part

> of Scott Collin's little empire back in the day,

> before selling and starting Meat Liquor (what I

> wouldn't give for even one fifth of that business

> sense.. sigh..).

>

> Now they're all part of Greene King (Metropolitan

> is just a sub-brand, maybe trying to keep a little

> bit of that indie vibe).

Some of that little ex empire seem to have been suffering a bit under Greene King - not talking local here - the "group" is across London - but I have one or two in mind that have gone downhill compared to their rivals.

Any reports of price hikes from the Lordship Lane pubs?

I went to the Castle on Saturday and luckily they have not bumped up their prices. Id be surprised if the others havent though.

Also intrigued in what the crowd was like at the weekend, i assumed it would be just posh families ordering food and craft beer, and the normal pub goer who likes to get drunk not allowed in, as families would spend more money in the reduced capacity?

Any family that would take their kids to a pub in the middle of a pandemic are wholly irresponsible IMO. Wether 'posh' families have the monopoly on that level of irresponsibility, I doubt.

The pubs didn't open because it's safe, they opened because Govt has objectives which don't align with public health & safety.

dontbesilly Wrote:

i assumed it would be just posh families

> ordering food and craft beer,

Great theory. Very difficult in practice. Unless one can control every person in the pub, where they go, who they breathe over, how loud they become (increased residue from mouth opening) and how drunk they get before inhibitions are gone and distancing becomes a distant memory.

If one can?t control that, why expose children to it ?

Sounds more to me like the decision to do so would be driven by alcohol, not the interests of children.

I hope I?m wrong.

Yeslovewhatcanigetu Wrote:

> There?s nothing wrong with a family going to a pub

> and respecting social distancing and the guidance

> that has been laid out. This pandemic has really

> brought out the judginess in people.

I'm judging the government, whose "guidance" does not appear to be based on what is best for people's health.

It is reported today that three pubs have had to close immediately again after customers tested positive for Covid. And therein lies the problem. You just never know who, if anyone, is infected. Enclosed spaces are risky spaces until there is an answer to this virus.

EDT was Rammed Sat afternoon.. Inside and out Saw lots of familiar faces.. Did not go in.

Went to Memsaab for T/A Sat early evening. 4 - 5 couples sat in. with more expected.

I'm not ready for the pub yet. No longer miss it.

I like sitting / standing at the Bar. Not allowed.

Foxy.

Had to pop into the Office in Holborn today - place was like a ghost town - pubs and coffee bars all shut except for Wetherspoons (Knights Templar and Penderals Oak). Some are boarded up.

The Punch on Fleet Street said it was opening tomorrow.

Peckham and ED felt very busy in cmparison.