Wild Swimming

Beckenham Place Park. Don't recommend Royal Docks, the swim club people are lovely but place is horrible, City Airport planes usually overhead. Also you have to wear a wetsuit and it's ?8 a time. Beckenham is lovely, much more like 'wild' swimming.

You're more likely to pick up Weil's disease if you're dipping at the edge of freshwater where it's slower moving and more likely to be stagnant, and especially if you have cuts. Infected cows' urine also contributes to Weil's disease - it isn't just down to rats. Accidentally swallowing water isn't a big factor. For the 10,000s of swimmers using UK freshwater every year the infection rates are low. Cover any cuts with plasters and always wash yourself properly after swimming. Have fun!

Friernlocal Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Beckenham Hall Place closed soon after it opened

> as the pool isn't supervised and so a risk. I was

> there last week and it's still fenced of.

Did you pick up whether anyone has thought of starting a group to run a volunteer lifeguard rota or fundraise for guards? Not the biggest challenge to fundraise for. There are people who will find a way to use it, by hook or whatever, but still, a terrible waste that it can't be open to all.

The place I mentioned is set-back from the river by several yards, so not too bad (I?m a weak swimmer).

mikeb Wrote:

> We love wild swimming but I've never heard of

> people entering the Thames at Rotherhithe - how

> fast flowing it is? (albeit high tide should be

> better)

Beckhenham Place Park lake did reopen after the initial closure last year. I didn't have a chance to try it before it was closed with lockdown but there were people swimming there, supervised by lifeguards, in March this year. It looked like any changing facilities etc were very rudimentary or non-existent but perhaps someone will know more. It appears to still be closed https://lewisham.gov.uk/lake.

I actually loved swimming in the Royal Docks. It's a bit of a pig to get to from here but there is something quite amazing about the enormous space and being surrounded by the various buildings and industry and planes flying overhead. Yes it is a bit more expensive though and they are being very strictly managed currently to keep people safe. It is really for serious swimmers. You have to sign up for NOWCA membership but that gives you other opportunities.

There are also swims in the Thames listed on the NOWCA site https://nowca.org/nowca-lake-directory/. Not tried these.

I'm also a big fan of the Royal Docks. Via same Actio/ Nocwa system you can swim at the Docklands Watersports Centre - slightly (not much) closer, and different vibe to Royal Docks. Easy to park if you're driving and both that and the Royal Docks are a really nice cycle from east Dulwich.

All depends what you mean by close. Grantchester meadows in Cambridgeshire are just a 90min drive away and you can have a lovely dip in the Cam.

There are parts of the River Mole in Surrey that you can go in for a dip and a splash but not really swimming. Near the stepping stones at the base of Box Hill is quite deep but lots of dogs.

Sea swimming off the Kent coast is often quite pleasant at this time of year. I swam at Deal a few years back and it was like a mill pond and pretty mild too.

SpringTime Wrote:

> You're more likely to pick up Weil's disease if

> you're dipping at the edge of freshwater where

> it's slower moving and more likely to be "Fresh Water" is.,

> and especially if you have cuts. Infected cows'

> urine also contributes to Weil's disease - it

> isn't just down to rats. Accidentally swallowing

> water isn't a big factor. For the 10,000s of

> swimmers using UK freshwater every year the

> infection rates are low. Cover any cuts with

> plasters and always wash yourself properly after

> swimming. Have fun!

Good to read was thinking of Surrey Docks where water comparitely still...maybe i dont understand whater is. Yep I forgot a bout cuts - was going back years when I was working and a risk assessment wass taken when I was supporting peeps to sail. I did try argue minor risk but!!!!!

katanita Wrote:

> Can you share your cycle route to those

> @melissavf? I couldn't find one that looked very

> nice but that would make a big difference!

Would love to see your suggested cycle route too please. The only way I know that I find safe is to go through Lewisham and Greenwich, take the Woolwich Ferry and double back. Sadly my electric bike can't do there and back without a charge. Going north of the river - as far as I know- means using the cycle route through Stratford which is definitely not safe, cyclists regularly mugged and bikes stolen.

Good to see some tips on wild swimming rather than open water swimming which is what Royal Docks and associated places do. The Open Water places are all very regulated, you can only swim a set route and you have wear a wetsuit. No pottering about.