Cycling with children in traffic

JB

Hi there, I'm a professional cycle instructor and British Cycling coach.

The main things when cycling in traffic are:

Communication - eye contact looking behind signalling

Observation - looking ahead looking behind where are other other rosd users

Priority - who has it?

Positioning.

And yes to do have to relearn some new habits like covering brakes.

I have seen many children out cycling with adults which is great. However we would always recomemEnd you have them in front of you.

You should all ride out of the door zone. You can signal better, look behind and of course always be able to see them. Yes i do know a mother who lost her son once as he was not looking where she was when she turn left.

I'm doing private lessons - enhance your riding in traffic for individuals and families(Boroughs not sorted out delivery yet and funding issues!)And accompanied rides to work etc

I've been cycle tutoring a good while locally (coached at Herne Hill velodrome helped set up the popular HHYCC)) And all over London. And indeed South East

So do get in touch if interested. Fully DBS and accredited. Also bike check as art of lesson.

Take care.Stay Safe Judith Bonner

When I learnt to ride a bicycle (in the mid to late '50s) I was not allowed on to the open road by my father until I had shown that I could ride one-handed (left or right) so that I could signal turns. He said that, on the road, you should know what everyone is doing and they should know what you are doing. I think that's still good advice, though I am always surprised nowadays when a cyclist actually signals a turn. Often they're my age, or look it! Later on he taught me, in a car, the concept of defensive driving.

I am really worried, when I now drive, when I come up to very young children on the road who clearly are only just in control of their bikes, with both hands. Particularly when they are struggling to keep up with their biking dads.

I think she meant he was mislaid, not dead, but maybe I?m wrong...

I?m always amazed when I see parents cycling ahead of often quite small children. I always took a position behind and slightly to the outside - if anyone was going to be knocked off I?d rather it was me.

I have been cycling in front because the kids don?t take directions well and I?m concerned about cars coming across their path and knocking into them.

However, I?ll now always ride behind them as I hadn?t realised that was the accepted/safest place.

It wasn?t common sense to me at least.

You may be right about the son being mislaid.

I lost my kid on the banana bikes in Dulwich Park - we were going round the pond then moved out to the outer circuit. Took seconds to lose them.

Funny now, scary then. I don't think she even noticed, was having too much fun.

Kids of course don't notice you're not there until they realise you're not there, which could be much later.

Ride close behind them, stop frequently enough so they understand the next part of the journey and make sure they can hear you/ know to respond to you.

Whilst I do not object to small children cycling on the pavement whilst the adult/parent is cycling along side them in the road, there seems to be a trend of both adults and children cycling on the pavement. Going to Sainsbury's Local the other day 2 adults with 2 children (around 8 and 10) cycling on pavements from Sainsbury's to Plough Pub and then blocking narrow stretch of pavement by traffic lights as waited for lights to change to cross over to Lloyds bank side. There was a couple with a child in a pram, myself and another elderly person who were effectively unable to get passed them until the lights changes.