Feeling unsafe in ED Park

Today was a novel experience. Whilst walking my dog round the outside of Dulwich Park, three lads, all teens, two pale pink and one light brown of African descent, threatened me. The first lad rode directly at me on the wood chip footpath leading up from the small copse by the cricket nets. He caused me to protect myself, then his mate, clearly the ring leader decided to offer his help. Being in the path and slightly isolated, I headed into the middle of the park, if anything is to happen, best to be seen.

At this juncture, I stood my ground, what followed was a verbal assault with anyone of the 3 lads advancing to within a few metres. One took of his belt and started waiving it around. Nothing was happening, but I felt quite worried about my own safety and walked away, the three of them followed for about 20-30 yards causing me to turn and face them to avoid being blindsided.

I told the park ranger when I got nearer the path who was up by the gate. It would seem there had been problems with the short fat one dressed all in black sweats. Other then report this to the park ranger which has already been done, what should we do?

Is this something we should report to the police? They are kids, whilst I have sympathy for them and everyone else during this period, why should we feel threatened by a wanton minority, and made to feel insecure now every time I walk into the park.

I would report this to the police, saying you also told the park ranger. Threatening behaviour, which, as you describe it, this clearly was, cannot be acceptable, even and perhaps especially in these strange times - and the next victim might not be as lucky as you were to escape unscathed. You don't mention how old these boys were, I'm assuming young teenagers, but whatever age report it.

Habitualbridesmaid Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Done

So glad you reported it! well done.

I had 2 lads on bikes cycling round and round me sniggering cycling off then returning again with one of them cycling alongside me whilst his friend cycled round in circles-This was in the mid afternoon in east dulwich on the pavement (well one was on pavement the other mainly cycled in the kerb)

Thinking I was about to be robbed I hugged my bag to me and rushed to the nearest bus shelter where I could see people-It really shook me up.

I never reported it because in my case nothing actually happened aside from their behaviour being designed to make me feel uneasy and threatened..probably for their own amusement (scare the old woman)

But It ruined my day shook me up and has put me off going for the walks in the area that I used to enjoy so much

If you saw them would you recognise them?

I saw three boys

One tall white wiry boy with longish brown hair. White TShirt, second lad was shorter, much stockier and quite fat, wearing black sweat hoodie and pants, third lad had a light brown skin. Quite skinny with glasses.

I?ve reported it to police, 2 of them I?ve seen around the ED area before and I?ve kept a wide berth. The taller one mentioned something about a knife which is what prompted me to walk to the middle of the park. It?s not easy to avoid someone when they ride directly at you.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I would bet on it being the same lads, but size is relative. The blonde lad was chubby with a straight fringe cut. I?d recognise them again. The police have been notified, if it?s the same boys then there is a pattern emerging. I saw the same boys a few days ago on Santander bikes in and around Dulwich Park. I gave them a wide berth.

Let?s hope they get caught.

Habitualbridesmaid Wrote:

> If you saw them would you recognise them?

> I saw three boys

> One tall white wiry boy with longish brown hair.

> White TShirt, second lad was shorter, much

> stockier and quite fat, wearing black sweat hoodie

> and pants, third lad was coloured with a light

> brown skin. Quite skinny with glasses.

>

> I?ve reported it to police, 2 of them I?ve seen

> around the ED area before and I?ve kept a wide

> berth. The taller one mentioned something about a

> knife which is what prompted me to walk to the

> middle of the park. It?s not easy to avoid someone

> when they ride directly at you.

>

> Sorry to hear about your experience.

I probably would recognise them-it wasn't your lads.

and thank you.

Monkey Wrote:

> Very shocked by the response your friend got from

> the police, Lilolil. I?d make an official

> complaint if I were her.

I don't know the family. There was a shared post on Facebook and I wasn't sure if it was linked.

I'm sorry you had this horrible frightening experience. I'm an older woman and walk most days in the park and agree it is becoming a scary place at times with young poeple trying to be menacing, and the feel of the park has changed a lot since I first lived here...for the worse!!!

dontbesilly Wrote:

> Can you not just scare them off? For example, say

> you had something in your possession that you

> would rather not use but will if they do not go

> away and leave you alone?

I've shouted loudly at youngsters - unfortunately all you're doing is saying I'm a difficult victim and they'll go off to find a n easier victim - that's not solving the issue.

But you're still right to challenge them John - they might think twice about if there's a next time

JohnL Wrote:

> dontbesilly Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Can you not just scare them off? For example,

> say

> > you had something in your possession that you

> > would rather not use but will if they do not go

> > away and leave you alone?

>

>