Dulwich library - is it open? If not, when will it?!

From Southwark Libraries website "Reopening of library services"

Some Southwark Libraries will be re-opening with a limited service from mid-July. Further details and dates to be announced very soon.

I think it's just about past mid-July now.....

See my post of 14th July.

From James Cash previous post

Libraries and Museums in England have been included for re-opening in July as part of the government?s phase 3 re-opening plans. The government have advised that libraries cannot open before this point. Re-opening plans for Southwark libraries are being informed by Southwark?s corporate Covid 19 guidelines and advice and guidance from the government's Libraries Taskforce.

In current plans we are hoping to re-open six of our libraries in the week beginning 13th July using a phased approach in order to ensure a safe environment for staff and library users (Canada Water, Dulwich, Camberwell, Nunhead, Brandon, and Blue Anchor). It must be stressed that the plans depend upon the Covid 19 situation and government advice- if the infection rate increases or government advice changes then plans will need to be adapted in response to this. In the current plan the libraries will re-open on a limited basis offering an order and collect service where books are pre-ordered and collected in the entrance/foyer area. Books can be returned and there will be a 'grab and go' service of pre-selected stock. There will be no general public access to the library beyond this. If the Covd 19 situation continues to stablilise then during August the service will be extended to reinstate limited public access to libraries, with potential full opening currently scheduled for September/October. All of this will be subject to social distancing guidelines and any other measures that the government advise.

No notice on gates of Dulwich Library as to possible date of opening

Are books not capable of carrying infection, even for a limited time? I remember when public library books carried a label requiring notification if the book had come into contact with anyone with a notifiable disease; and the legal requirement on the borrower to, in effect, put the book into isolation, still remains: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/22/section/25/enacted. It's been questioned, but still retained. https://blogs.loc.gov/law/2013/08/odd-laws-of-the-united-kingdom/. And Covid-19 has itself been added to the list of notifiable diseases. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-covid-19-listed-as-a-notifiable-disease

Hubby is a charity shop volunteer and has been advised that maximum number of 'customers' in shop at any one time is 8. Donations taken in twice a week only and have to be stored for 72 hours before being put on display. This includes clothes, books and bric a brac.

Heard today that Dulwich library is being refurbished and will not reopen until mid August. Peckham is not being used due to having lifts. Grove Vale Library's future is uncertain. If Grove Vale was open we could at least return books taken out in March and select from a limited choice so reading matter to last the next few weeks.

Grove vale library was only opened in the last year or so - having been delayed for some time whilst building works were underway. If it is closed then people around the Albrighton Estate. Melbourne Grove and Grove Vale end of LL, will have to travel down to Camberwell or to Dulwich Library. I thought Southwark was keen to encourage reading and other activities in libraries for all children to participate in, but it seems not to care.

Our shop is taking donations every day. Quarantine 72 hours

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hubby is a charity shop volunteer and has been

> advised that maximum number of 'customers' in shop

> at any one time is 8. Donations taken in twice a

> week only and have to be stored for 72 hours

> before being put on display. This includes

> clothes, books and bric a brac.

ianr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Are books not capable of carrying infection, even

> for a limited time? I remember when public

> library books carried a label requiring

> notification if the book had come into contact

> with anyone with a notifiable disease; and the

> legal requirement on the borrower to, in effect,

> put the book into isolation, still remains:

> https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/22/secti

> on/25/enacted. It's been questioned, but still

> retained.

> https://blogs.loc.gov/law/2013/08/odd-laws-of-the-

> united-kingdom/. And Covid-19 has itself been

> added to the list of notifiable diseases.

> https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-cov

> id-19-listed-as-a-notifiable-disease

Books from Southwarks wonderful home lubrary service are now delivered by librarians with plastic face shield and mask etc, in Paper sacks, left at socially acceptatable distance and librarians stand even farther away to see that you take them into dwelling. Advised not to handle the books for 72 hrs.

Asa shielded service user I have evry confidence in this protocol.

Collection will be carried in the same way but in reverse when preumably books will also be quarrantined for 72 hrs.

In Nunhead library you could enter the lobby to return borrowed books by placing into a cardboard box - you could not enter the main library building as there were barriers across.

dontbesilly - you really are very tedious, you seem to delight in making inane comments.

Nunhead is open on weekday afternoons only for click and collect.

Canada Water and Blue Anchor are also open all day for click and collect.

Compare that to Westminster Libraries where they've now reopened most libraries and are offering a near-normal service with social distancing measures.