We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

Glazer Delmar

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
messageRe: Dulwich library - is it open? If not, when will it?!
Posted by siousxiesue August 28, 03:20PM

Froglander Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is Grove Vale Library open yet?

Nope, although it would seem to be one of the easiest to open. All on one level.

[www.southwark.gov.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was august 28, 04:17pm by siousxiesue.

Posted by Pugwash August 29, 12:31AM

Tried ordering via catalogue - managed to order 2 books only in nearly an hour - not a very user friendly site.
Hubby ordered a book by phone and was advised later that it was sent to Dulwich Library on 17th August. Went to collect it on 21st and was told that boxes had not been unpacked. Eventually collected 27th August and talking to librarian about my difficulty in ordering via internet , did comment that many people have found the system slow and not helpful.

Posted by Lynne August 29, 02:02PM

With the schools opening, libraries are more important than ever. If it's taking 4 days to click and connect, that's not much use for homework.

Posted by Cora August 29, 03:12PM

Went up today, closed.....why aren't they advertising opening times? We have a load of books we just want to return!

Posted by siousxiesue August 29, 03:50PM

Cora Wrote:
> Went up today, closed.....why aren't they
> advertising opening times? We have a load of books
> we just want to return!

It's a pretty poor show! What are the staff doing/going if 'their' branch is still closed. I wonder who the councillor is for leisure/libraries?

Posted by Pugwash August 30, 03:17PM

Hubby did see a notice on Friday - I think he said weekends were 10 - 2 - I know the hours were shorter than the weekday openings.

Posted by Lolamaxx September 06, 02:59PM

They’re planning to open as normal over the next few weeks. I went to drop off some verrrrrrry overdue books, and the process was as simple as plopping them in a box. Only the sliding-door area was open, with a trestle table blocking further entry. There were 3 members of staff/volunteers, and you have to wear a mask in that area as a user. For children, they’re able to give a “mystery bag” of age-appropriate books, which I thought was quite nice.

Posted by apbremer September 08, 04:28PM

I asked a lady there today She confirmed that they have no idea when it will be reopened(if ever??)
Cinemas open, concert halls open, pubs and restaurants open, shops open. museums open. But STILL no library.
Pathetic.

Posted by siousxiesue September 08, 05:10PM

apbremer Wrote:
> I asked a lady there today She confirmed that they
> have no idea when it will be reopened(if ever??)
> Cinemas open, concert halls open, pubs and
> restaurants open, shops open. museums open. But
> STILL no library.
> Pathetic.

Can someone help point out the councillors responsible for leisure? We could all email...

Posted by LJC56 September 11, 05:44PM

Cycled past Dulwich library today. It's open 10-6 every day apart from Sunday, for drop off and collect.

Posted by Pugwash September 14, 01:04PM

Having ordered 2 books in late August I still have not heard whether they are now in Dulwich Library to collect as not had any emails. So long ago - I cannot remember what I ordered.

More logical (to me) is to have a couple of mobile shelves/trolleys of various books (fiction/ non fiction) for people to browse. Shelves/trolleys can be moved each night into 'isolation zone' for 72 hours and a fresh lot of books put out the following day etc.

Posted by northernmonkey September 19, 08:04PM

Does anyone have any recent experience of ordering children’s books to Dulwich please? Is that working well?

Posted by Lynne October 09, 06:29PM

Ate they ever going to open? Shops, banks, the PO, charity shops with volunteers (often elderly) all opened. But no libraries. And I don't count the rather useless ordering system as opening.
Is it just to save money?

Posted by b_ouef October 11, 12:05PM

How would it be saving money? If anything libraries are losing money due to the suspension of fines, charges for certain items etc.. The libraries are staffed, so again no savings there.

My understanding is that staff are currently working hard to make sure the library is safe for both staff and service users, remember a lot of the people who use the library regularly are vulnerable, maybe having less understanding of social distancing, increased hygiene etc.. Shops, PO etc. are not places that people go and spend the whole day to use various facilities.

Be patient and support your libraries by using the current click and collect service which is actually functioning very well.

Posted by Pugwash October 11, 01:39PM

University Libraries are gradually opening for their students and have a maximum number of students allowed in to undertake work etc. In Leeds which has student population of around 14,000 over several sites, they are only allowing 100 students in their largest library (which holds several hundreds) and these have to be booked on line in advance.

Upstairs in Dulwich Library where most of the users are - could operate a booking system and limit numbers.
Downstairs in the lending library, I rarely saw more than 15 people - most congregated area was by the computers and photocopier. Most people just want to get books and leave - the most time I have ever spent in the library is 20 - 30 mins. A queuing system at the entrance hall could easily be introduced.

Posted by David2017 October 11, 02:28PM

I used the click and collect service to request 3 books - all shown as available for loan at the time. It took 4 weeks and a reminder email before I got any response and then I was able to collect 2 books and still waiting for the third (which is still showing as available in Dulwich library). It's hard to see why this service can't work better than that. I don't think I'll be using it again anyway.

I am generally a big fan of Southwark Libraries and very pleased that the Council has managed to maintain such a good library service over the years - which I think is far better than most other London boroughs and appears well used. Pre-lockdown it seemed to me the libraries I visited (Camberwell Green & Grove Vale mostly) were always well used, particularly by people who had need of somewhere quiet to study or work or to gain access to the internet. That need must still exist. I hope the library service can get things running again in some form soon.

Posted by apbremer October 11, 04:24PM

i have found the ordering system shambolic. Having been notified on two occasions that items were available and waiting, they have lost both of them with completely wasted journeys. With the staff having had six months sabbatical, presumably on full pay, one would have thought that something more efficient could have been produced.They also have the cheek to close on Sundays when most people would,I would have thought,wanted to use the library. With pubs, theatres , restaurants etc. all open it surely cannot be beyond the wit of man to open something as simple as a library??
I too have been a great fan and user of Dulwich library for many years. This is very disappointing. Perhaps a Big Cheese at Southwark can explain?

Posted by David2017 October 11, 05:39PM

The click and collect service seems to be no different to the usual long-running service of requesting a book from another site or reserving a book already on loan - which operated fine before, when library staff had lots of other things to do as well. If the libraries are all staffed as b-oeuf says above it would indeed be interesting to know why it can't work now. I asked the question in my email to the library but got no reply. Incidentally while I was waiting in Camberwell library to pick up my 2 books two separate people turned up wanting to use the library and were turned away - there is a need for the library to start working again.

Posted by Lynne October 11, 09:07PM

In particular, now the schools are open, they need libraries. Lots of children find working at home difficult for various reasons.

And as a ratepayer, I'm not getting much of a service for something I'm paying for.

Posted by siousxiesue October 11, 09:22PM

I've asked James McAsh on his thread if he can identify the councillor for leisure/libraries in order to enquire about the lack of service.

Anyone on Twitter want to have a go?

Posted by OutOfFocus October 12, 12:06AM

My guess is it is "Councillor Catherine Rose
Cabinet Member for Leisure, Environment and Roads"
[moderngov.southwark.gov.uk]

Posted by siousxiesue October 12, 10:20AM

Posted by siousxiesue October 12, 10:34AM

Thanks for that, I've emailed. Hope others do too

OutOfFocus Wrote:
> My guess is it is "Councillor Catherine Rose
> Cabinet Member for Leisure, Environment and
> Roads"
> [moderngov.southwark.gov.uk]
> x?XXR=0&AC=USERSEARCH&PID=24&sPC=Enter%20postcode&
> ST=Rose

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum