lack of masks in Sainsbury's

Just been to Sainsbury's this afternoon and was very surprised to see so many customers NOT wearing face masks.

Even more surprising was the amount of staff with their masks under their chins.

Just come back from France and all people in shops of any kind wore masks

What's going on?

Not all people are able to wear masks due to hidden disabilities. Those who are unable to wear a mask shouldn?t be deemed as not following guidelines on face value. The majority of people are wearing them on the occasions I?ve been in there.

> Even more surprising was the amount of

> staff with their masks under their chins.

I don't know what they are instructed as employees to do, but the regulations (para.3(2)b) specifically don't require them to use one at all.3.?(1) No person may, without reasonable excuse, enter or remain within a relevant place without wearing a face covering.

(2) The requirement in paragraph (1) does not apply?

(a) to a child who is under the age of 11;

(b) to a person responsible for a relevant place or an employee of that person acting in the course of their employment;

..... https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/791/part/2/made

Strikes me companies like Sainsbury?s are missing a trick by not handing out free face masks to shoppers. They could be branded Sainsbury?s for example, Sainsbury?s supports the NHS etc

Maybe their marketing departments are all on furlough

I was surprised at how many people weren't wearing masks at the Sainsbury's Local the other day. It's a shame as I suspect as time goes on and people see others not bothering, the numbers will increase. Appreciate that some people will have a valid reason, but out of only around 10 peeps in the store at the time, there were 3 or 4 without one.

keano77 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Strikes me companies like Sainsbury?s are missing

> a trick by not handing out free face masks to shoppers. They could be branded Sainsbury?s for

> example, Sainsbury?s supports the NHS etc

>

> Maybe their marketing departments are all on

> furlough

Sainsburys Sell masks 10 for ?8.00 so they are unlikely to hand them out for Free

DulwichFox

rahrahrah Wrote:

> I was surprised at how many people weren't wearing

> masks at the Sainsbury's Local the other day. It's

> a shame as I suspect as time goes on and people

> see others not bothering, the numbers will

> increase. Appreciate that some people will have a

> valid reason, but out of only around 10 peeps in

> the store at the time, there were 3 or 4 without

> one.

Talking of Sainsbury's local. Why are they still insisting on card payment only at the till, when all of the main Sainsbury's branches are taking cash.

Well, people can't complain if we are back in lockdown come October then. People that don't bother to wear masks are also probably not bothered about social distancing either, or bothered about getting the virus even. They are the ones that will send the R number up (it is already rising) and will be to blame for any action the government has to take as a result.

The Problem with the wearing of masks, Nobody, will or can enforce it,

Staff quite rightly are frightened of challenging people

they dont even challenge shoplifters

police have enough to do, and there are not enough on the ground.

I plucked courage to go to Bell green sainsburys, late at night nobody social distancing, staff , few members public no masks.

There are so many out there who just wont bother

I wear a mask, I am frightened not to, I have asthma and every other complaint that makes me vulnerable

but sooner choke with mask than covid

Peckhampam Wrote:

> I don't understand why Sainsbury's can't employ

> security to stand at the entrance and refuse

> entrance to people who won't put on a mask, and

> then more inside to enforce it. Is there

> something I can't see?

So here's the wording from the gov.uk regarding the enforcement of facemasks, particularly regarding shops:

Shops, supermarkets and other premises where face coverings are required are encouraged to take reasonable steps to promote compliance with the law and could refuse entry to anyone who does not have a valid exemption.

So, shops only need to encourage people to use masks. They can refuse entry to those without masks, but are not obligated to follow through on that. I'd imagine that national chains wouldn't take that step. You might see smaller, more independent shops make those sorts of calls.

I think the cynical view would be that, based on the new regulations, all they gotta do is say "remember to wear a mask" and that's about it. Hiring additional staff to enforce a law that they're not legally obligated to enforce is probably not something they'd do.

Security are there to catch shoplifters, not to turn away potential trade. In other words, the bottom line is revenue and unless the government makes the shop itself liable for failure to make sure customers wear masks, they won't bother enforcing anything.

Today there are no deterrants,

Should you challenge anyone about lack of masks you are lucky if you get away with a gob of shit

Some are violent. I suppose shop workers dont need the aggravation

cant say I blame them

very sad there are unreasonable people out there

Personally I'll choose to go to the one that doesnt enforce mask wearing.

Wear one if you want to, but I'm tired of the hysterical overreaction, attack on our civil liberties all because of a bug that is doing what bugs do and having a clear out of the vulnerable who always die of these things. Sorry, bluntly put, we're screwing our economy to buy a week or two extra for people with severe life limiting illnesses anyway.

Meanwhile the NHS is being forced to delay all manner of treatments for plenty of other conditions, which could be saved because of COVID. How many people are going to die who could have been saved because we're trying to protect those who are likely on their way out anyway?

I am utterly fed up of watching friends businesses collapse, people end up unemployed, education suffer all to protect a tiny minority of people. The cases nationally are miniscule, but we've essentially chosen to bankrupt the country and put future generations in debt to protect people on the basis of some very dodgy science and statistic use and a set of guidelines thare nonsensical.

I'd take it more seriously if it was blanket masks everywhere, but its not - the guidance makes no sense, its being invented on the hoof and relies on stupidity like refusing permission to go to a friends house, but allowing you to meet them in Nandos for dinner - this is neither coherent nor sensible. Meanwhile Cummings and his ilk get away with anything they want...

Give us back normal life and let those who want to take precautions and others do as they wish.

se22cat Wrote:

> I sincerely hope you catch it & are removed from

> the gene-pool with asinine opinions like that,

> "jim"

Thanks - chances are as I'm not remotely target audience I won't but you never know.

Wear what you want, let those of us who don't care lead our lives as normal please.

This article nicely sums my views up as to what a total overreaction this has been - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8585039/Professor-Robert-Dingwall-calls-sense-proportion-brands-Covid-19-nasty-infection.html

macutd Wrote:

> the reason why you wear a mask to to not transmit

> it to others. So while you are not wearing a mask

> Jim you could be killing me. So we won't be

> leading our lives at all.

The science on masks isn't proven, so I'm happy to not wear one thanks. If you want to wear one, crack on and I'll respect that. But I'm afraid it has to be personal choice, and my choice is not to wear a mask if at all possible - I find them uncomfortable, steam glasses up and hamper communication and I'm not remoptely convinced of the need. Just look at Sweden or Netherlands.

We've rushed into a tabloid driven fear based outcome without dealing with the science to underpin it, and this way lies disaster for our national economy. How do you think we'll pay for the NHS in years to come - because right now its not looking good.