Trying to get a parking permit

Have spent most of the day trying (and failing) to get a parking permit from Southwark's utterly broken online system.

Does anyone at Southwark Council seriously expect people to successfully navigate this system? I just spent several hours with my elderly neighbour trying to help her get one, and she is left with a disabled bank card and no closer to getting one.

For example:

- my neighbour phoned the council number, and she was told that she had a 'duplicate account'. Why they couldn't take her money over the phone I've no idea

- the site asks for your mobile number. It doesn't accept 'normal' numbers (0xxx...), just numbers beginning with (44xxx...). This is mentioned in an unexpected part of the page. Why it can't assume that 0 = 44 I can't fathom. This meant that we went round a 'you already have an account with that number (0793...)', "you don't have an account with that mobile number (0793...)" merry-go-round.

- any attempt to register a card is rejected, and the bank blocks your card (tried with three different cards). This prevents any attempt to create an account (a required pre-req)

- the site requires that you loosen your browser's permissions to dangerous levels. the instructions for this are 1) hidden at the bottom of the page. 2) wrong. 3) incomprehensible to all but IT professionals in any case (like me)

I won't list all the problems, but these alone are enough to frustrate most users for many hours. It's almost criminal of the council to exact fines when it's virtually impossible to give them your money.

Are you saying that the council want you to create an account but to do this you have to lower your browser security? If true that seems worthy of further investigation and councillors should be asked to pursue. It is probably an accident but you?d also want to try to rule out anything more sinister.

Your friend should also get help of local councillor as her inability to access a permit may be viewed as discriminatory as in the technology makes it too difficult for someone With little understanding of websites etc.., which may become more likely as we get older.

Sally Eva Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 44 is the international code for the UK. You take

> off the 0 and add 44 to the beginning of your

> number.

>

> Have you got a parking permit yourself?

I'm well aware of that. My elderly neighbour had no idea. Also, the system is inconsistent _with itself_:

"Enter mobile number to register" OK, 0793...

"You already have an account with that number"

"Enter mobile number to get recovery details" OK, 0793...

"You do not have an account with that number"

So one part recognises the UK mobile as the user's number, but the other requires a different one. This is insane.

Seriously, how many foreign mobile numbers are registered with southwark council, and why can't it convert/guess accordingly, or advise on submission of the form itself?

first mate Wrote:

> Are you saying that the council want you to create

> an account but to do this you have to lower your

> browser security? If true that seems worthy of

> further investigation and councillors should be

> asked to pursue. It is probably an accident but

> you?d also want to try to rule out anything more

> sinister.

>

> Your friend should also get help of local

> councillor as her inability to access a permit may

> be viewed as discriminatory as in the technology

> makes it too difficult for someone With little

> understanding of websites etc.., which may become

> more likely as we get older.

https://ukparking.dashcardservices.com/southwarkdash/tickets/permit_application_restart.aspx

Click 'new customer registration'. Scroll to small print at end. ("'Prevent Cross-Site Tracking' option has to be disabled on your device"):

"Please note that if you are using an Apple device, Javascript (Settings>>Safari>>Advance) must be enabled and Cookies must be allowed (Settings>>Safari>>Block All Cookies>>Disable) on your device in order to add a new card. Additionally, 'Prevent Cross-Site Tracking' option has to be disabled on your device, to allow the payment option pop-up window to be accessed. To do this: Settings>>Safari>>Prevent Cross-Site Tracking>>Disable"

I had similar problems trying to get a bulk refuse connection, and soent literally several hours going a round in circles. Ended up managing to spak to someone very senior, I have a tremor and cannot use a mobil so I mentioned "discrimination, disabled, equalopportunities" etc and some how my payment was taken. I am sorry but can't remember exactly how.

I too have had issues - I couldn't purchase my permit and whilst I was online trying to do it, was ticketed!

I reported it to parking services at the council and am in on-going contact with them. They say they have reported my issue to their subcontractor who will look at the issue.

I will copy the thread and send it on.

Also having issues, I think in part because Southwark have outsourced this to "Dash" parking services that I have used before to pay for car parking. Currently only able to purchase a Monthly permit because my status is "unverified". Fingers crossed I'll be verified in a day or two but I'm not holding my breath.

Me too.

The site says "Automatic name and address verification has failed: We automatically attempt to verify your residency"

I've lived here for 20 years, am on electoral role, have a Southwark council tax ID and my driving license is at this address. My suspicion, therefore, is that the automatic verification NEVER works. I also suspect that the photo of my driving license is currently in a queue at an offshore processing centre

DadOf4 Wrote:

> Me too.

> The site says "Automatic name and address

> verification has failed: We automatically attempt

> to verify your residency"

>

> I've lived here for 20 years, am on electoral

> role, have a Southwark council tax ID and my

> driving license is at this address. My suspicion,

> therefore, is that the automatic verification

> NEVER works. I also suspect that the photo of my

> driving license is currently in a queue at an

> offshore processing centre

Don't wait once you've uploaded your ID - send a follow up email to Southwark parking services at [email protected] attaching your document and requesting they verify your address.

They need to respond within 3 working days but I received my verification first thing the following morning. I'd previously uploaded ID via the portal whilst trying to set up a permit a couple of weeks ago and had heard nothing.

(And Jimlad - people are struggling with a problematic website, really no need for sarcasm.)

Oh - if you have this version of chrome you're done

https://www.engadget.com/2020-04-03-google-rolls-back-chrome-samesite.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAM_IM1bLUM-66vArQGJ4Yjxx3mN2r4BJ76P37ABrmVuRdSjFZDzr6BByfPOpG-jzRErp_CUjhk9LM4Xlsr1UHo6TM_eMrfTSaBfOLt7puGz00Amgbg1mEhVnYXnQuFducGJGskNz0V8PDUsQc9KFjq4uPfiJOmJ4nyyDZIPr1Ab5

and

July 14, 2020: SameSite cookie enforcement has resumed, with a gradual rollout starting today (July 14) and ramping up over the next several weeks as we continue to monitor overall ecosystem readiness and engage with websites and services to ensure they are prepared for the SameSite labeling policy. The SameSite features are being enabled for Chrome Stable channel users on versions 80 and 81 (who should update Chrome!), 83, as well as the newly released 84.

I'm on 84 so I wouldn't be able to do this on chrome.

Ontherun Wrote:

> DadOf4 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Me too.

> > The site says "Automatic name and address

> > verification has failed: We automatically

> attempt

> > to verify your residency"

> >

> > I've lived here for 20 years, am on electoral

> > role, have a Southwark council tax ID and my

> > driving license is at this address. My

> suspicion,

> > therefore, is that the automatic verification

> > NEVER works. I also suspect that the photo of

> my

> > driving license is currently in a queue at an

> > offshore processing centre

>

> Don't wait once you've uploaded your ID - send a

> follow up email to Southwark parking services at

> [email protected] attaching your document

> and requesting they verify your address.

> They need to respond within 3 working days but I

> received my verification first thing the following

> morning. I'd previously uploaded ID via the portal

> whilst trying to set up a permit a couple of weeks

> ago and had heard nothing.

> (And Jimlad - people are struggling with a

> problematic website, really no need for sarcasm.)

I'm not being sarcastic. I'm just tired of the assumption that because one person is having problems, the entire site is to blame. The vast majority of people clearly have no issue with it, given that the wardens are not handing out tickets across streets, so it seems to me that the more likely issue here is not the site, but the user.

jimlad48 Wrote:

> I'm not being sarcastic. I'm just tired of the

> assumption that because one person is having

> problems, the entire site is to blame. The vast

> majority of people clearly have no issue with it,

> given that the wardens are not handing out tickets

> across streets, so it seems to me that the more

> likely issue here is not the site, but the user.

Working in IT - when security people push they usually win the argument. This is a security block on Chrome at least. The website designers knew since summer 2019 - plenty of time.

I'm refrring specifically to the inabilty in chrome to enter a credit card and getting error about cookies and javascript.

A vulnerability was identified, published and designers given the opportunity to update their code, the implementation was pushed back due to covid leaving this vulnerability open for a year. They closed it in july for Chrome. Internet Explorer seems to still allow access to the add credit card form but may create further errors (blocking credit cards ?).

The link I made above specifically mentions that public and finance websites ay break if not fixed.

redpost Wrote:

> I had the same problem with chrome, firefox works

> fine.

>

> The website is stone age stuff, the last time I

> had to change browsers to access a site correctly

> was about 10y ago. I work in IT also.

Agreed - If they don't fix this - think of the other possible vulnerabilities :)

Don't get me started on everyone active which has the southwark residents free swim and gym bolted on somehow in some frankenstein web site way.

Me and my son managed to get cards last year, but I've forgotten how we did it and its not logical on how to renew them.

Further update on this, and I have to admit it's not at all clear to me but it seems that if you have used the Dash Parking app before to pay for normal car parking using your phone then you cannot set up an parking permit account using that same mobile number and you have to create a new account that has a different number.

And it all has to be done online as Southwark won't take payments over the phone.

Something that should be so simple just isn't.

> I'm not being sarcastic. I'm just tired of the

> assumption that because one person is having

> problems, the entire site is to blame. The vast

> majority of people clearly have no issue with it,

> given that the wardens are not handing out tickets

> across streets, so it seems to me that the more

> likely issue here is not the site, but the user.

Doen'tlook to me as tho' only one person is having problems, and what about all those who aren't members of EDF - haven't heard their views.

many thanks Ontherun for the email address to send 'evidence' of address. (as well as uploading). A most frustrating process, although I had no issue using my mobile number in UK format. It seems ridiculous to have to send evidence of address when they already have the info via council tax. What I did notice during the process was that I was unable to access other open tabs on my pc. Seems very strange. *Edit to add, I got an automated response to my email then a confirmation of the documents being verified within 1 hour of sending the email.