Pavement repairs on Ulverscroft road

DulwichFox

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I suspect everyone on Ulverscroft Rd would of received notification from Conway's

that work on renewing Pavements has been halted as from Wednesday 7th October due to lack of

supplies of required materials.

Work hopefully to recommence on October 26th. and end date of 18th December.

DulwichFox

• 2 weeks later...

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Work is again underway.

>

> **WARNING** They are moving Cars..

>

If they have moved cars, I'm guessing it's probably because those cars ignored cones, and warnings chalked on the pavement that there should be no parking there today .....

They are again storming ahead.

They have already dug up all the pavement on the current stretch, and say that they will have finished it (including laying the paving stones) by Saturday, weather permitting.

Really efficient! And also really helpful!

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Let's run a book on how long these new pavements

> remain level and puddle-free.

> I say 9 months until the first sunken area.

To be fair, KK, that's not likely to be Conway's fault.

More likely due to things like clay soil and trees, surely?

To be fair, KK, that's not likely to be Conway's fault.

More likely due to things like clay soil and trees, surely?

Conway cannot be blamed for e.g. newly planted trees after their work is completed, but with existing conditions - such as existing trees and existing subsoil a good contractor should be working with these in mind. Since biblical times ('houses built on sand') the importance of foundation work has been understood. In some areas which are otherwise paved the areas around trees are left either clear (with e.g. gravel) or are tarmacked, to allow root movement without disturbing paving stones. Displacement in under a year is clear evidence of shoddy work.

If I can predict pavements failing after a short number of years and the contractor can't (although obviously they can, and know there will be repeat custom as a result) there's a problem.

I'm just basing my statement on their work elsewhere including LL and surrounding seats.

Forgive my cynicism, I just dislike repeat mistakes.

Where is there any evidence of NEW Trees.

I think that Markings of 'TREE' on the pavement are indicative of old trees that have been removed

leaving roots / stumps.

There is a 'TREE' marking on the pavement on Whateley road just 4 foot from a lower level sunken Basement area.

There is NO possibility that a new tree could be placed there.

Foxy

Eh?

They painted lines around the existing trees in the road some time ago.

I contacted the council to ask what they were for. I was worried that they were going to remove the trees.

They were to show the contractors where to put the paving stones around the trees, i.e. how big a tree pit to leave.

Nobody has mentioned anything about new trees in the road, to the best of my knowledge!

ETA: Penguin's reference to new trees above is hypothetical.

🤣

Indeed. Most people in the road get their info from the road WhatsApp group, which everyone in the road was invited to join ...

However the thread may be useful to others living round the road, as parking is very restricted and much of the pavement is closed to pedestrians.